Benchrest primers vs normal

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by dustinoif3, Aug 12, 2012.

1. dustinoif3

dustinoif3 New Member

Question is that is there a difference? Would it cause ejection differences between two rounds loaded with the same charge? Ie different area on ground where they land with one loaded with a br primer and one normal primer. I'm loading with cfe 223, 55gr fmj/bt and cci primers.

2. gunnut07

gunnut07 New Member

Nothing I have ever seen or experienced.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

i dont put too much stock in primer's being a major accuracy factor. while it plays a role in benchrest type stuff its a very minor thing at best. far more important is using good quality bullets with consistant powder charge and consistant over all length.

saturday i shot this group. top three were the first few rounds then i made a sight adjustment dropping 1.25inches then fired 4 more. range was 300yards open sights rra National Match AR15.

primer used would get me laughed off any competition circuit. i was using wolf .223 small rifle primers...

[​IMG]

good primers are a part of accuracy but along with the origin of the brass one of the least important.

as for primers causing eject issues it is entirely possible as some may not have enough energy to reliably ignite certain powders. this can lead to incomplete ignition.

some primers may have too much power and cause higher pressure causing the action to operate more vigourosly.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
  4. gunnut07

gunnut07 New Member

I load nothing but Wolf primers anymore. At half the price as CCI, Win, Rem, Fed and they shoot just as good or BETTER in my 1k loads. Can't beat that.

5. dustinoif3

dustinoif3 New Member

Thx guys. Jon I believe you nailed it with the last statement. I was talking with another buddy about it and he thought the br primer might of been burning the powder at a high rate causing my bolt to come back violently slamming the case off the deflector/ejector on the side of the upper receiver. I'm heading out to the range Tuesday afternoon. I'm going to make a few more rounds with both primers to bust this myth and also to hopefully get some money back from the local gun store. Im going to have 100 left and those bad boys are 5 bucks per 100. I'll be sure and post pics of the paper to see if there's a difference there as well. Thx for input

6. dustinoif3

dustinoif3 New Member

Do you order them online?

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

if they are running hot you can treat them as magnum primers in loads that call for such

8. dustinoif3

dustinoif3 New Member

Jon when were you with the 25th?

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

10. dustinoif3

dustinoif3 New Member

Awesome. Thanks for your service

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

I joined when gulf war one started the buildup. It was over before i got sent to my unit. The intent was there the timing wasnt. I had no clue it would be done in a few weeks once the shooting started. I dont think anyone thought bush1 would chicken out and leave it half done

12. dustinoif3

dustinoif3 New Member

I hear ya. I've been in the army for 12 years and I've been over a couple times. Once to Iraq and once to Afghanistan. Im really surprised we've pulled out of Iraq. Idk. Maybe it's changed. It was '04 when I was there. Glad the other one was in Afghanistan. Hell of a lot more fun

13. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Primers are a least important accuracy factor. Unimportant. Thanks a lot, I think I'm gonna cry. :)

14. dustinoif3

dustinoif3 New Member

Not talking about accuracy. Talking about burn rate and cartridge ejection.

15. gunnut07

gunnut07 New Member

Magnum primers have a longer hotter flame so it may or may not increase chamber pressures I don't know for sure because I don't have a pressure barrel.

16. dustinoif3

dustinoif3 New Member

Well here's an update from the last range trip. Dpms 16" car. Hogden cfe 223, remington brass, cci primers and 55g fmjbt hornadys. Had 5 batches. 10 at 26gr. 26.5, 27, 27.5 and 27.8. Those are loads from min to max straight from hogden. Out of all rounds fired the weapon locked open when empty only 4 times. I had 4 different magazines that lock with factory ammo. I was loading each mag 3 rounds at a time and the last 20 were loaded with only one. Anyways after sitting at the bench for about 10 min wondering what was up I called hogden. They thought that my scales were off and I was undercharged and I needed more crimp. Well after sitting some more I went home and checked cal on my dillon d'terminator. It was on. So I looked into my crimp. My initial loads had little to no crimp which I knew I had so I increased my crimp and loaded 16 more. 8 at 27 and 8 at 27.5. Drove back to the range and fired again. No change. No lock on empty so I sat again and wondered wtf. Anyways after every shot I picked up that piece of brass and put it back in its respective spot. After evaluation I found flat primers. All across the board. Even the ones I shot earlier with no crimp and min charge. I guess I don't understand how I'm overcharged. It's out of the book. I guess my next move is to go down to 25 and work up from there. This time I'll go in increments of .2 up to 26. See what happens. Any input would be helpful because I'm about to give up and buy steel. Lol.

Attached Files:

17. ryguy00

ryguy00 New Member

Regular primers and magnum primers obviously have different charges. The only difference between regular and benchrest is the thickness of the primer cup, not the charge. One is easier for the firing pin to set off. In any normal firearm, you will not notice. Highly modified benchrest guns are completely different animals.

18. JonM

JonM Moderator

Are you running a magpul bad lever by chance?? Its called a bad lever for a reason heh. It doesnt really mean battery assist device...

19. dustinoif3

dustinoif3 New Member

Jon. I am running a bad lever. I put it on because I'm left handed and it helps me lock and clear easier. Do you think that's whats keeping it from locking when empty with my loads?

20. JonM

JonM Moderator

yup. its a common issue with them. take it off and i bet your issue goes away 100%.