Belts???

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by itsmycall, Dec 19, 2010.

1. itsmycall

itsmycall New Member

I have a 1-1/2 wide solid leather belt for my iwb XD9 SC but it still pulls my pants down. I am 6ft 210, medium build with 59 yr old belly sag. Do these $75.00 gun belts really help and make a difference?

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

the gun belts dont support anymore than a standard belt. what they do is provide a more durable surface to attach your holster. over time on a regular store belt a heavy pistol will bend the leather distorting the shape of the belt.

only thing that can help belt sag is suspenders or a shoulder holster or a man purse device.

3. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

A belt designed to carry a gun is lined, and stiffer than a standard belt. They do help with the sag.

4. hogrider

hogrider New Member

Gun Belt

Rock.....I thought they used thicker leather which made them stiffer. Is that incorrect? I just sent off for one so I'll soon find out. :rolleyes:

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

yes thats correct. its a thicker sturdier belt.

6. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

You can get a good thick leather holster belt from Cabelas for about $25.

7. itsmycall

itsmycall New Member

Triple K #213 1 1/2" Wide Garrison Belt

Triple K #213 1 1/2" Wide Garrison Belt Anyone tried these? At $50.00 very affordable, but I want one that works and very cost conscience of $100 ones.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  8. Neophyte1

Neophyte1 New Member

Belt

A fellow near here is a holster maker, belt maker ?leather-smith? I apologize for not knowing the correct

He made me a belt; a couple of years ago. Solid, will hold Super Blackhawk, 7.5" or any of my other handguns.
    It hasn't lost any shape, nor ''wear-in''

1.5", two pieces glued and sewn together. I'm very satisfied. The only issue, the screws that hold buckle straps, come loose from time to time.

9. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

A "gun belt" is typically stiff leather, in at least two layers glued and stitched together. A thin piece of a "stiffener" is sometimes sewn in as well. It used to commonly be a thin piece of steel, but thin pieces of plastic and teflon have also been used.

Bianchi made several styles, and was kind of the trendsetter. Gordon Davis made probably the nicest ones, but expect to pay big bucks.

Now the common belt is one of the heavy nylon versions, but they are more for range use than "stealth" street use.

10. WDB

WDB New Member

I believe it has as much to do with the stiching as the leather or stiffeners. I have two 1 1/2" nice carry belts, one black one brown. They are double stiched top and bottom and have an oval single stich patern on the leather between. Been using them for 10+ years and have held up nicely. The brand name is worn off and I don't recall where I bought them but I expect I paid about $50 each. A good belt is a fine investment that will last a lifetime. You do have to sinch your belt a bit tighter when packing a firearm otherwise your pants will sag, you will have to keep adjusting and that gets attention.

11. Highpower

Highpower New Member

+1

Gun Belts by The Belt Man

12. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I've found that belts that where not made to hold a holster will stretch and get too soft/plyable over time. So I can't get the fit I want and they try to slip down. Belts meant to hold a holster are more stiff along the width and keep a holster in place much better.

13. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I made the mistake of buying several thick leather belts before buying a real gun belt. There is no comparison. They are worth every penny.

14. DinkyDauDon

DinkyDauDon New Member

+1 A good belt makes all the difference in the world! I carry a 1911 IWB with no sag with a TTGunleather belt.

15. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I have to agree that a normal leather belt is FAR from being a carry belt. I had a real nice belt that I happened to find from Levi Strauss quite a few years ago. Wore it all the time. 1 1/4" or so wide, good decent leather and oh so snazzy. :p

When I started carrying my 1911, I noticed it was weighing hard on the belt, so I did some checking around.

Found a guy by the name of Milt Sparks who was HIGHLY rated for making a good carry belt. I bought one and this is it here in the pictures. On a scale of 1 to 10, it's about 8 points higher than that old leather Levi one in being able to support the additional weight of both IWB/OWB holsters and weapons.

I would vote for a good, CCW rated gun belt over a "nice leather belt" everyday of the week.

Attached Files:

16. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

The issue, though, is sag. Some guys have that larger stomach and no butt, which is a recipe for pantsontheground, especially with a gun-laden holster.

A gun belt, though a very necessary addition to the concealed-carry ensemble, doesn't really help with that. Suspenders might still be the ticket.

I gotta small tummy and big butt, so my pants never sag. I still use a gun-belt, though, so the belt, itself, doesn't fold over from the weight of an OWB holster or magazine pouch.

17. SecPro

SecPro New Member

Uncle Mikes Nylon Duty Suspenders L/XL

:)

This one looks like to much to do, but is a good idea having it under your clothes.
    http://www.backdefensesystems.com/category_s/31.htm

18. Hollander

Hollander New Member

+1 on the Beltman. I currently have 3 from him different colors. I use them for dress as well as hanging a gun on them. I had stiffeners put into all of them and while they are very stiff at first, they break in very well. I find that they give much more support even without a gun on them. Each person is different hence all the various opinions here. Personally, I will never buy another gun belt without a stiffener. Merry Christmas to all.

19. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Yes.

Call Jim Speidel and tell him what you will be hanging on the belt. Jim will set you up with what you need! Tell him you heard about The Beltman here on the FTF.

Gun Belts by The Belt Man