Belt Holster for an SR9c Advice

Discussion in 'Ruger Handgun Forum' started by Daoust_Nat, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Daoust_Nat

Daoust_Nat Well-Known Member Supporter

My normal summer carry here in Florida is a M&P Shield. Fits well IWB with shorts and a tee shirt. With the colder Florida Winter (well, a little colder then summer) coming, I am looking for a belt holster for my SR9c. With a light jacket and/or some larger shirts, I think it would be a good belt gun. Even IWB is easier for it in the harsh Florida Winter. I am looking for some adice as to what to start looking at. All suggestions (other then moving somewhere and taking in a real Winter) are appreciated.

2. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

Safariland ALS Concealment Paddle Holster works great for winter carry. Its REALLY comfortable and has good retention if it comes out of your shirt and somebody makes a grab for it. Plus the paddle lets you use it without a belt if the need arises. They have one that fits the SR9, it runs $40-$50 most places.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013

3. Daoust_Nat

Thanks, I will take a look at it.

4. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

No prob. Let us know what you pick and why if you have time later!

5. JW357

JW357 New Member

If you're looking for IWB, I recommend OldFaithful Holster. Relatively cheap if you buy the kit. Good warranty. Made in the USA.

6. thdrduck

thdrduck New Member

Love my Bianchi Carryloc. Fits the SR9c like a glove, high quality leather and great retention. I had another one for a Glock 17 and it did not fit the Glock worth a crap. For what it's worth...

7. dgray64

dgray64 New Member

The Old Faithful holster is great!!

Dave

8. headhunter

headhunter Member

I wanted a three slot bet holster. The people at Cabela's were very helpful and after a couple of tries a DeSantis showed up ( a 001 L7) in their computer search. I will say I was looking at the screen when it did and it said SR 9c. This was exactly what I wanted. So - it followed me home. The thumb snap wasn't as snug as on my other DeSantis' holsters and I have noticed that the safety is sometimes in the fire position when I draw the SR 9c. I'm surprised this has concerned me so little. I believe it is because there is a snug fit, the trigger is fully covered, and I carry my M&P (no thumb safety) in the same type of holster by the same maker. As previously stated the thumb snap isn't quite as snug as I'd like, but the Ruger has stayed where it should be. My carry guns are all carried in the same type of holster in the same place on my belt.

9. kjdeut

kjdeut New Member

Check out Bear River Holsters on line. Guys name is Brad and he does custom built holsters that are really nice. I have 1 for my SR9, 1 for my SR22 both of these OWB and have slots for your belt. Third on I got was for my LC9 and is a snap on OWB style. I use this one more often as my carry gun. Holster sits tight against my hit and even a long tee shirt covers it with no print.
    Worth taking a look at his sight.
    Ken

10. dcilten

dcilten New Member

I use Crossbreed for my carry holster, all year round. I love it, and won't use anything else for IWB ever again. Plus with the lifetime warranty, and try if free trial period, NRA/LEO discount, you have nothing to lose.

11. Daoust_Nat

I looked around some more and bought a Galco leather holster. It is not a retention holster, but holds the firearm securely. Since FL is not an open carry state it should not be an issue.

Attached Files:

12. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

Nice, hope you enjoy it!

Just curious, why'd you pick the galco?

13. Daoust_Nat

I went to a couple LGSs and looked at a bunch of holsters from several different manufacturers. I had not found one I liked, and in fact this one is for a Sig or Taurus. However when I spoke with a young lady who worked at the store, she suggested this one. We tried it with an SR9c and it fit. It is a slim holster that does not bulge out on the belt like some of the others, looks like it is built pretty sturdily, so I grabbed it.

My alternative was one of a couple internet options but I would rather decide by what I can pick up, try on and examine closely.

14. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

I feel ya. The good holster in your hand is always superior to the "better" holster on the internet.

Galco makes THE most comfortable ankle holster I've ever worn btw. Good choice.