Below zero

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by TeaBaggins63, Jan 29, 2014.

1. TeaBaggins63

TeaBaggins63 New Member

I live in Ohio and the temp lately has been below zero. When I go to class I have to keep my 1911 in a lock box. Should I be taking any extra steps to fight the cold. Right now I use #9 on my guns (ill be switching to froglube soon)

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Firearms Talk mobile app

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

Use a good gun grease. Oils will freeze solid in extreme cold weather.

My issue with froglube is there is no info on what it is not even in the msds. You have to take the manufacturers word for it to not doing longterm damage or longterm issues. Such as how do you get it off if you need to do work on a gun. Some things they need to be totally free of grease oil other chemicals....

I don't trust a company that says trust me this is good for you...

Food grade to me means some sort of vegetable oil based grease. I know from my love of cooking the worst thing you can inflict on pans is vegetable oils. Pretty much ruins them in the long run.

3. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Food grade could also be animal based like whale oil or maybe it is made from frogs.:rolleyes:

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

if its animal fat it would be ok but i bet its a btch to clean off if you need to refinish or mount optics or soemthing.

its description sounds like what vegetable oils do. make a layer that "bakes" or "dries" on then liquifies under heat. cookng oils do that but its a sticky nasty mess.

without knowing what it really is its not going on any gun of mine.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  5. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

just use a clp from breakfree, g96 or rand for oil/lube anr your 1911 is good to go till your temps get closer to -40*

6. robertusa123

robertusa123 New Member

Greese freezes way before oil does

7. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

CLP says their product is good in cold weather. But they show no testing and go on to make out like their product is used by the military. I feel confident using CLP in NC. In NC we never see extreme cold temperatures.

If I was in below zero temperatures I would use a high quality automotive grease or a weapons lubricant that has been independently tested.

8. KJG67

KJG67 New Member

9. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

I only use Ballistol on all of my guns and I'm pretty sure that I do not leave enough oil on any surface that I will have to worry about freezing, except in conditions colder than I have ever encountered.

I could be wrong, but I only leave a very thin film on all surfaces.

10. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

I use CLP for everything but the slide (a dab of gun grease on the grooves). I have shot as low as -23F never any issues. Routinely shot outdoors below 0......it's Minnesota so if you want to shoot...

I get more concerned with any plastic parts past a certain temp due to potential brittleness. By the way CLP is rated to -45

11. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Grease here attracts sand and sand can be very fine so no grease. I have been using clp but I dont have an cold temps to worry about.

12. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

LOL, that's funny. How does it ruin them? For cold weather, I would under no circumstances put any kind of grease on my guns. (I thought that was a no no anyway). Grease will become stiffer way before oils, and I have never in my life seen frozen oil. If the oil is frozen, you probably have bigger problems… I'd just stick to a decent gun oil. OP, are you shooting it in the extreme cold? If not, have you tried? If so, did it work?

13. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

When I was in Korea the temps dropped to -22 degrees at times. I lubricated my M-1 rifle with issued gun oil and wiped it nearly dry with patches.

Never had a problem.

Bob Wright

14. JonM

JonM Moderator

vegetable oil turns into a type of shallac like material on metal pans. its really really nasty.

i use lard or olive oil which does not leave that same vile gunk behind as corn oil or canola oil does when it breaks down under heat.

maybe frog lube is olive oil i dunno they dont say most plant oils have a very low thermal threshold and break down quickly which is why cornoil the main ingredient in vegetable oil and shortening is a terrible medium for cooking.

peanut oil and olive oil are better plant based cooking oils and do just fine in most applications. altho i prefer lard or bacon grease for cooking since it lends a better flavour with no funky after taste and is shelf stable with no refrigeration really needed long as it is filtered into a storage container.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  15. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Here in the Rocky Mtns. at altitudes as high as 10,000 feet cold is a fact of life. I have never known of firearms freezing up if they were cleaned. Never use any type of grease regardless. Keep the weapons clean and use a light gun oil sparingly. :)

16. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

For the last thirty or forty years or so I have used a 50/50 mix of automotive motor oil and Three-In-One machine oil on all of my guns. After oiling fairly liberally, I wipe them down with one of those blue paper shop towels, such as sold at AutoZone, until they are dry to the touch. Never had a problem in any weather.

Bob Wright

17. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

18. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

The shellac type material is "seasoning" which is a non stick material in itself. JonM you're great with guns but stay out of the kitchen. :p

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seasoning_(cookware)

19. robertusa123

robertusa123 New Member

I was talking to a friend of mine that served in the american sideria know as fort drum NY. Only 28 below last week. He tells me that the main failer of fire arms in sub zero conditions is ice. When you shot off a few rounds the gun heats up melting snow. And then freezes up. Locking up slides and bolts. In place. Your thauts

20. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Humm? He received his Basic Marksmanship Training Where??:)