Bell & Carlson Vs. McMillan 700 BDL

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by gapi, Mar 17, 2015.

1. gapi

gapi New Member

I want to replace the factory synthetic stock on my Remington 700 SS MTR 30.06 22"bbl.

I see the Bell & Carlson has integrated an aluminum bedding system.

I see the McMillan's offer an optional molded in machined bedding. Its also nearly twice the cost of a Bell & Carlson.

While anything is going to be a significant improvement over the 1994 produced Rem 700 stock, I would like to hear some experienced opinions between the two.

Thanks

2. snakeoil

snakeoil Member

Not a Remington, but I have replaced stocks on several rifles(mainly Model 70's) and the McMillan is worth the price...I have one on my 257 Weatherby chambered model 70, and its well worth the difference...its really up to how you want the rifle to perform....I am into long range hunting (deer) and the accuracy is very telling on my rifles...

3. sandog

sandog Active Member

The McMillan and Bell and Carlson are highly rated, probably better liked than the H-S Precision stocks. I had to go with the H-S because they offered one in left hand, the Sendero. It has a solid aluminum block around the action, a large palm swell and flat fore end. It was about $350. Anything was better than the cheap injection molded stock my M700 SPS Varmint came with.
    [​IMG]

4. gapi

gapi New Member

Thanks,

I have a Bell & Carlson in route. Would have loved a McMillan but the wallet screams B&C.

I agree with sandog, the 1994 original will be well replaced with a B&C.

The rifle has always printed 3/4" 3-shot groups off the bags @100.
    I just put the trigger to 3.5lbs and with the new stock I hope to be pleased.

A pic of the old war horse.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  5. gapi

gapi New Member

@sandog,

Has the rifle in the picture been treated by Bird Song Black-T? I painted mine myself back in 1994 and just removed it this week. It served rough service with me for more than a decade. With all the little nicks and stuff it looked so bad a thief would probably leave it behind.

She cleaned up real good. Thinking of the Black-T job along with the new stock..

Thanks

6. sandog

sandog Active Member

The H-S comes in black, tan spider web, or O.D. green spiderweb.

7. gapi

gapi New Member

I'm Back,

The Bell & Carlson Stock is on its way back to Stocky's Stocks.

It was black and I was put off right away at how the machined finish was on the rear bolt bore. It was gaulded and burred. I am a machinist by trade and this was kind of an insult right off the bat. Its covered when assembled but all they had to do was touch it again. I should have taken a picture.

The stocks fit had a major gap difference between the sides and the bbl wouldn't float in three places.
    This was not a $290.00 shipped stock in my book. And the restocking fee assured I will not darken that door again.

I called Remington for available stocks for the Mountain Rifle bbl contour and they have two part numbers. One is a laminate, the other has Bell & Carlson in the description.

I really love laminated stocks, I have laminates in a Winchester NWTF 1300, and the Ruger/Walmart SS 10/22.

So for the same money as the B&C I have a LSS one in route from Remington.

I have seen images of the LSS in Brown and the Black & Granite laminates out there. The Remington rep did not have the color info.
    I will be pleased even more if it comes in the Black & Granite.

I'll be back

8. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Have you considered Boyd's with that love of laminate?

9. gapi

gapi New Member

Thanks, I just visited the site. The land of the $99.99 Stock eh?

There is no mention of a MTR bbl contour unit so I would have to call for clarification.

I looked at the Featherweight just to read what "Featherweight" meant, thumb hole stocks do not fit me.
    Amazingly the description fails to elaborate. Not even the weight of the stock.

The !!! 26% !!! restocking fee solved my curiosity. Remington said return shipping is the only thing on my dime if I do not like it.

These high restocking fees remind me of the term "Correct Me If I'm Wrong". I have found folks who say it often, are wrong often.

I'll send pics this time.

On the laminates I have, other than like them cosmetically, I have carried them on 4wheeler handle bars and truck seats and carpeted floor boards.

The 1300 NWTF has done some hard core turkey hunting with scenarios a Pretty Browning owner would never think oif and they both still look fantastic.

So........ I'll keep trying. My original 700 synthetic stock is just ugly from wear not design.

If the Remington LSS stock fails to please I'll just bed the recoil lug and try my hand at paint.

10. gapi

gapi New Member

Just an update:

I have both available stocks ordered from Remington to choose from, the laminate and the B&C synthetic. 8 Days later and CS says no tracking numbers yet because they are still in the processed of being picked. Mercy.
    They are allowing me to choose between the two with no restocking fee for the one I return. Still waiting.

11. gapi

gapi New Member

The Remington Supplied Bell & Carlson Is The Winner

I'm back with my stock findings and choice. After all these years of service I have decided to update the stock and Black-T coat the old gal.

1995 Remington Factory Original synthetic Stock, 33.83 oz./2.11 lbs.
    *1995 technology. Soft or easily scarred, hollow sounding butt, flexible forearm. ( I still enjoyed 3/4" 100 yd group with factory ammo)
    * Fit is very nice around the bottom metal.
    * Fit for the bbl channel has always been on the wide side with easily visible gaps, but its a mountain rifle, a tool.
    *Barrel channel pressure nubs removed day one.
    * Recoil pad kind of hard by today's standards.

Remington Parts Factory Replacement Brown Satin Laminate Stock
    P/N F202343W 700 STK ASSEM MTN L/A LAM LASER SATIN $268.95
    36.47oz./2.27 lbs. + 2.64 oz over factory original.
    * The year model is unknown.
    * Front Screw Hits Bolt Lug When tightened.
    * Barrel to Stock contact is in two places in the bbl channel, the two raised places near the front, and midway in the channel running 1" long.
    * The stock is beautiful!
    * Fit looked very nice all around.
    * Remington recoil pad.

Remington Parts Factory Replacement Bell & Carlson Black & Light Gray Webb Synthetic Aramid Stock.
    P/N F405830 700 STK ASSEM MTN L/A BL BELL & CARLSON $290.95
    30.97oz./1.93lbs - 2.86 oz from factory original.
    * Last 5/16 of bbl channel does not float as is intentional of Remington.
    * MUCH, MUCH better look, feel, fit & finish (cosmetically & machining) over the Stocky's supplied B&C Stock.
    * No hollow sound.
    * Balance point mounted with Leupold VXII 3-9x50 is at the front screw.
    * Decelerator recoil pad.

I immediately liked the Remington B&C stock as I pulled it from the box. I knuckled the stock and there were no cheap-o sounds.
    There were no machining buggers.
    I weighed and assembled and was again pleased with the fit of the top & bottom metal and bbl channel. Its so fine it looks like it would not float at all but does all the way to the last 5-16".

Remington was very gracious in agreeing to let me sample both and return one for no restocking fee.

I am going to fully float it. Some say shoot and see 1st, but I prefer to be able to check it with the paper than wonder if the pressure points have shifted for any number of possible reasons.

When she comes back from Bird Song Black-T I'll post pics.

Thanks

12. gapi

gapi New Member

Compare Pics

Here is a list of comparisons.
    The camera is kind to the original.
    Even though it shot 3/4" groups its very flexible. I can see the action opening flex as I use my hand to clamp it and can see it flex when pressed over my knee.
    The recoil lug slot is just plastic or fiberglass if you will.
    She will become my cleaning stock with no care about the solvents spilling while rodding her out.

So for anyone doing a search on Remington Model 700 Mountain Rifle Stocks, maybe this will be the kind of help I was looking for in my quest.

The as purchased 1995 Rem 700 SS Mountain Rifle Stock
    [​IMG]

A Remington Parts LSS Laminate Stock, Year Model Unknown, Purchased 3/2015

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A Later Year Issue Remington Parts Synthetic Aramid Stock, Year Model Unknown, Purchased 3/2015
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The pressure point on the later year model Remington Parts Synthetic Aramid Stock. Its 9/16" from the bottom edge to the .002 paper.
    [​IMG]

13. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Georgia Preision, (the rifles Chris kyle used in his training facility) quite possibly the finest custom built rifles in the U.S. use McMillan stocks. 'nuff said!

14. gapi

gapi New Member

Yeh, Thanks, I'm aware of those stock brands.

That's all out of my price and application range though. I am a happy camper right now.

The pressure point pic is not a complaint. Its the norm for Remington on this rifle anyways.

What I like about the Remington Parts Stock issue is the fit & finish compared to the direct buy from B&C or resellers.

15. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

If you can swing it I would go with the McMillan. They have been making top quality stocks for years. I have had one on my SAKO Sniper Rifle I have owned for years. I believe it was an A2 Model? if I remember correctly and in urban camo (Black-Blue & Grey).

16. gapi

gapi New Member

Thank You,

I have already decided to go with the Remington issue B&C. I wish I could swing it. I do appreciate the McMillan's for being the top notch and all of you guys words and suggestions.

I will say again this stock is a much better example than the one I got from Stocky's Stocks. Remington Parts graciously agreed to allow me to choose between them for no restocking fee if I chose one.

Its my Deer rifle. This stock, the Black-T coating of the rifle and rings is at the edge of my financial sanity for this project.