Bell and carlson stock ???

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Mossyoakman3006, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Mossyoakman3006

Mossyoakman3006 New Member

So I ordered a Bell and Carlson Medalist stock for my Weatherby Vanguard 7mm, I installed the action and noticed that there was pressure points in the front end of the barrel channel. Just wondering I thought that the whole point of a bedded stock was to free float the barrel. I am going to contact Bell and Carlson but I just thought that I would see if anyone had any thought on this.

2. AusLach

AusLach New Member

I've just ordered one for my Vanguard too! I think all of the Weatherby synthetic stocks have use upward pressure on the barrel, I'd say B&C have employed the same philosophy for their Weatherby stock.

There are two options to float the barrel, either sand down the pressure points on your stock or glass bed the rifle on top of the aluminum bedding block. Personally, I'm going to shoot my rifle with the new stock to check accuracy before I decide whether to float it or not, sometimes sporter-weight barrels actually shoot better with upward pressure on them anyway.

3. Mossyoakman3006

I took mine out and it put 5 rounds all within about 3" at 100 yards, I'm not judging the rifle on that I didnt have a very solid rest just sitting off some sticks, when I get a chance to shoot it from a bench I'll let you know how it goes.

4. AusLach

AusLach New Member

Thanks, that'll be awesome. I'm still waiting on mine to get here, even when it does I don't know when I'll be able to get a chance to shoot it though :(

Any chance of some pics?? :D

5. Wambli

Wambli New Member

That pad is there to give you the option of keeping it or removing it. Sandpaper on a dowel will do short work of it if you indeed want a fully free floated barrel. Shooting off sticks is not a good way to judge potential accuracy. You need a solid bench and sandbags at the very least. Has anyone taught you good bench technique?

6. Mossyoakman3006

I know I just happened to be going out to my buddies property and it was just kind of a quick thing I'm gonna try and get it out to the range and I'll let you guys know

7. Mossyoakman3006

Called up Bell and Carlson, they said that they build there stocks to Weatherby factory specs and that removing the pressure points would void warranty and could cause accuracy issues. I might give weatherby a call and see if there is any reason that I couldn't free float the barrel.

8. AusLach

AusLach New Member

[​IMG]

I'll await your response before I do anything with mine then!

9. Mossyoakman3006

Wambli, just wondering what you mean by good bench techniques, I been shooting off a lead slead off of a overbuilt wood bench, always thought this was about as good as it gets, but I still new accurate shooting most of my shooting has of the school of thought that if it will kill a deer its good enough, and any advice would be great, Thanks

10. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Not all rifles like to be free floated, Mossy. Play around with it some more.

Did you torque the action screws?

11. Mossyoakman3006

I've got them set at 55# I skim bedded the recoil lug gonna let that set up for a few days then take it out to the range, I probably wont remove them I was just curious as to why they are there, thanks for all the advice

12. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

you gotta watch them lead sleds they will tear up a gun. Guns are made to have recoil when you put them in a lead sled with 50 or 100# of weight on it then they just get hammered. I have seen more than a few broken stocks because of that worthless contraption.

13. Mossyoakman3006

I've had always thought that I only use 25# on mine for that reason, been lookin around for a better rest for a while what do you guys use???

14. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I usually use a Caldwell bag, or my ruck.

15. Wambli

Wambli New Member

Shooting off a lead sled will not teach you how to shoot off a bench. It is a full mechanical device that does not let the gun recoil naturaly. I've tried it a few times to see if I was missing anything but I could never get comfortable behind one of them and the point of impact changed when I shot the rifle offhand so I won't shoot off one anymore.

I use either sand bags or a mechanical front rest to test a rifles accuracy. Correct bench technique is essential and if done right it will make you a better shooter. It's hard to describe it all in writing but there are plenty of sources out there.
    Here is a video that shows the basics:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVn0s8lbIrA]YouTube - Improving Your Shooting #4: Benchrest Technique[/ame]

BTW I've tried a bunch of mechanical rests at all price points and Shooters Ridge makes a nice simple mechanical front rest that will not break the bank (about $60) and it's a pleasure taking that to the range instead of a Lead Sled.

Also, I would shoot the stock as is and see how it does but if you want to free float it in the future just know that B&C will tell you that any changes to their stocks void the warantee but I broke a stock in a bedding fiasco and admitted it to them and they still replaced it with a new one because of their warantee. My B&Cs have ALL been modified in some way from opening up barrel channels to custom paint jobs. I don't worry much about that. I've never busted another and they are great folks to deal with.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  16. Mossyoakman3006

Thanks Wambli, might go pick one of those up before I go to the range. My plan has always been to leave the pressure points unless the thing wont group at all.

17. Wambli

Wambli New Member

Good plan! Remember the one thing to keep in mind when shooting from the bench is consistency. You can make the basics your own as long as you do the SAME every time you should be good. A lot of practice with a bolt .22 will make you a great bench shooter and transalates really well to the centerfires.

Have fun!