Belgian FN 9mm from WWII

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Aldonola, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Aldonola

Aldonola New Member

My grandfather was a POW in WW2 and when the guards left to flee the Russians, one of them gave his sidearm to him. It also has a nice holster to which the owner had added his paratrooper badge.
    The weapon has great sentimental value for me. I am thinking of letting an expert give it some TLC: replace the rear sight, overhaul it, etc. No cosmetic repairs. Any suggestions as to how select someone who will give it the care it deserves? I am keenly aware that a shoddy job can greatly lessen its historical/collector ineterest down the road.

Attached Files:

2. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

Br careful, sometimes even a professional job can lower the value.

3. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Unless you're planning on shooting it, I would leave well-enough alone and just keep it the way it is. Keep good gun-related rust inhibitor on it to protect it from corrosion.

FYI - you also posted in the Revolver subsection.

4. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

The person that advises you to leave it as is is the one you want to work with. Personally, I would do nothing other than preservation, changing anything from what it left the factory with will diminish value unless you are doing a full renovation. As a sentimental piece all it needs is a good lubrication and rust inhibitor. My opinion, save the repair money and put it towards a suitable storage case that will help keep it from rusting.

5. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I agree. Other than storing it with a good preservative I would not do a thing. You can always buy a cheap shooter if that is what you are wanting. If something happened to your gandpa's gun you might be able to find a similar one...but you would not have the story to go with it.

You should stop over at the introductions thread and say hi.

6. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

In the picture it looks like it is missing the rear sight? If so you could get a sight put on the gun without hurting the value any (as long as they did nothing except install the sight in the existing dovetail).

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

I THINK this is the rear sight you need for your Browning/ FN 1922.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Detail.aspx?pid=541390A&catid=1306

A competent pistol smith should be able to properly install a correct replacement sight for a few $$. BTW, you should be aware that if that is the gun i THINK it is, it is NOT 9mm Parabellum- it is a .380. In Europe it was called 9mm Kurz or 9mm Corto- means 9mm Short.

And congratulations on having a nice bit of history. Use a good preservative, wipe with a soft clean cloth, and LEAVE IT ALONE!