Being stuck in the snow etiquette or however you spell it

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Badshot320, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Badshot320

Badshot320 New Member

Ok your stuck in the middle of the road and someone offers to pull you out.....what do you do?

2. Cory2

Cory2 New Member

Say 'thank you'?

3. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Yep. It has happened to me and I have accepted the help.

4. Badshot320

Badshot320 New Member

I mean if your a guy you......

If your a woman ....well that doesnt count. Not trying to sound sexist but I have to pull you out. But if you have some shmuck with you he better get out and atleast try to act like a man.....

5. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I'd insist on hooking up to my own vehicle but outside of that I'd offer a thanks or a $20 if I had one on hand.

6. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

You get stuck in the snow?

I follow three simple rules.

1. You can make it anywhere you want to go in 2wd.
    2. If you can't get there in 2wd try 4 hi.
    3. If 4hi fails go get you there put it in 4 low turn around and go the hell home and have a beer or whiskey.

7. doctherock

doctherock New Member

There is nowhere I cant go in 4-LOW. At least in my old red ford. I could put it in 4 low with no throttle in first and some pretty hairy slopes.

8. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I've been in over a foot of snow and that was the one time I NEEDED 4 low. I could have made it without but it would have been hell on my clutch.

9. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

As was already stated, just say thank you and do your best not to get stuck again.

10. doctherock

doctherock New Member

I towed a lady and her baby out of an icy ditch one evening, they sat there for an hour as others passed them by. The only problem I had was she kept gaining traction and running over the chain. Needless to say she was grateful and home safe with her little one.

11. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member

Stuck is stuck, do what you can when you can.

12. Yunus

Yunus New Member

A thanks is all that is NEEDED, but if you got a few bucks on you and it won't hurt you to much I would offer a monetary gift as well.

4WD helps you accelerate in the snow but it does nothing to help with braking. I hate seeing big SUV's and trucks sliding all over the place because they are 4WD and think they can be on the road and drive like it's the middle of the summer.

13. RCgeek

RCgeek New Member

General rule of thumb when I pull somebody out of the ditch is we each hook up our own vehicle unless it is a woman that doesn't know how, and it is understood up front that I am NOT responsible for damage to your vehicle because you are an idiot that can't hook a tow strap to something solid.

Something else to keep in mind is that if an officer comes across you pulling somebody out of the ditch, if he wants to be a jackass you can get a fine for pulling somebody out of the ditch. Even tow truck drivers can not pull somebody out of the ditch in Montana without first have law enforcement's permission. An officer might not always show up, but the tow truck operater will have talked to dispatch to get permission.
    Just their little way of trying to catch a few more drunks by gettin em while they are stuck in the ditch.
    During the winter months my rigs always have a tow strap in them, and I mean a good 40 foot long 20,000 pound tow strap. Not one of those chincy pieces of crap you buy at walmart for 10 bucks.

14. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Well let's see...

The first thing I do is curse the fracking tires which lasted for one season.

Then I question why the h*ll I drive a BMW 330 convertible in Iowa when it snows 4 months of the year.

Then I wish I could convince my wife to move south.

Then I call my wife who drives a 4WD pickup.

Then we tow my car to a snow route.

Then I continue to curse my blasted piece of crap Goodyear tires.

Then I order an extra set of rims and Michelin snow tires.

Everything seems to improve after that.

15. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

If your "manhood" gets in the way of graciously accepting help when you need it, then you deserve to stay stuck with a crushed ego. If you have a male passenger then I believe that Man Rules dictate he get out and attempt to push or something. Female passenger, Man Rules dictate that she get behind the wheel and you push. Still stuck after trying the man thing and a passerby offers assistance, then suck it up and take the help when offered. Man Rules say at that point, you say thanks with a handshake and offer some cash for the good deed.

16. hogrider

hogrider New Member

If you get yourself stuck and someone wants to help, accept it and offer 10 or 20 dollars. It would cost a lot more than that for a tow truck. So accept and move on down the road.