"Being Honest Messed Up My Life"

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by Cnon, Jul 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cnon

Cnon Member

Recently, a young, single, law abiding mom from Pennsylvania made the mistake of driving into New Jersey, while carrying her legally purchased firearm. Shaneen Allen says she did not know that her legally-obtained concealed carry permit was not valid in New Jersey. She got the concealed carry permit (after filling out paperwork, passing a background check and getting mandatory training), because she wanted to keep herself and her children safe. She had gotten robbed several times, and this hard-working young lady, who works two jobs to support her family, now may be facing a mandatory three years in prison for accidentally crossing into New Jersey with her tool of self-defense.

http://jpfo.org/articles-assd04/kenyon-honesty.htm

This is so messed up..................

Cnon

2. Mercator

Mercator New Member

Don't get me wrong, a serious story is never confined to the activist web sites. The mistake she made is all too common. There has to be more to it. If not, there is no way she is going to prison.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

do not be too sure of that as there is a US marine rotting in a mexican jail for the exact same thing. libs go out of their way to free desertors and keep murderous thugs out of prison and go to the same effort to be sure citizens trying to protect themselves end up on death row...

4. Mercator

Mercator New Member

The operational word is "mexican". The guy spent 2 months in jail before seeing a judge. Plus that story made prime-time news. Let's just wait and see how the woman's case turns out.

PS. There is a guy from Indy who is in a Venezuelan jail. The initial story was, he got framed in the rotten "justice" system on some gun charges. Which is at least partially true, right? Turns out he also shot a local in an argument over some loud music. The story is still murky, after some two years...

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  5. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

This is pretty crappy for this girl but she got the permit and is legally obligated to know the laws.
    Ingnorance of the law is not an excuse to break the law,in a perfect world they would have slapped her on the wrist and let her walk with a stearin lecture and maybe a fine but it is not a perfect world. I hope the best for this woman.
    I have a carry permit here in California and there are places I cannot carry and I as the permit holder am obligated to know those places including other states.

6. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

State's rights

No offense and none taken

7. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i have to agree with Rifleman. she is the one who is obligated to know the laws concerning where she can and can't carry. she should also know the bounderies in between the states she travels in and if she travels in another state, it's her obligation to know the gun laws in that state as well.

a good lawyer should be able to get it reduced to a lesser charge, and hopefully only a fine, if she is lucky and depending on how agressive the prosecutor is on gun violations.

8. St8LineGunsmith

St8LineGunsmith New Member

Heres the problem as I see it... The second amendment to the United States Constitution protecs the right to law abiding individuals to keep and bear arms.
    as I see it the State is in violation of the United States Constitution and of this womans second amendment right to keep and bear arms.
    The LEA and its agent commited the act of tyrany when they arrested this woman for exerciseing her rights to defend herself and her family.
    I would Contact The NRA, GOA,JPFO (even tho I am not Hebrew) and any other pro 2A orginization for Legal support.
    I believe the case should be thrown out of court by the Judge if he is to uphold his oath to protect the Constitution of The United States.
    But Thats just me.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  9. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

I'm Jewish and I did not know JPFO even EXISTED until 2 years ago. Anyone can be a member, which I am now( since last year)...

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

10. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i agree with you, but unless she is willing to be the test case to push the issue, and has the time, the money and the resources to fight it court, i seriously doubt she would make any headway.

no matter if the laws she violated were unconstitutional, they are still laws, until they are reversed or ablolished. the wheels of justice sometimes turn very slowly, but they are turning in the right direction.

11. St8LineGunsmith

St8LineGunsmith New Member

That is exactly the reason I mentioned involving These Pro 2A orginizations they will fight for your 2A rights in court
    The Constitution takes presidence over these so called state laws or at least they are supposed to.

12. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

Make no mistake axxe man this is not the wheels of justice turning, it's the wheels of tyranny.

13. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

And we can see that. That's what has so many of us "who cast doubt" in the direction this country is going in.
    We are currently working on a show for this week discussing all of the "Anti" gun laws in our country. This will probably be this weeks show. Next week we plan on having someone from NY to talk about the "Confiscations" that have begun by the NYS Police. Bear in mind what we said on our extended Special show last week. " Things that Start in NY or California" usually have a way of finding their way To other states LAWS eventually...

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

14. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

You would think that in a state that requires a class for a CCW, that they would make sure everyone knew the permit WAS NOT good in other states. Especially if your state has so many anti sates around it....

I live in S. NH. Around here, we don't really know the Mass gun laws because 1. they are stupid, and 2. because we don't care. BUT, we sure as hell don't take guns there...

15. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Unfortunately, IOTLINE (Ignorance of the law is no excuse) will hold up in court and she really should have been aware of the Carry laws she was being affected by. Its wrong to prosecute her for doing nothing actually wrong but the way of the law now is the capability of doing wrong not the actual deed of violating another persons rights by your specific action. A warning would have been sufficient but that wouldnt have validated anyones job, the laws, paid for the courts, judges or lawyers would it. I would bet that a very large number of those prosecuted, fined or incarcerated in our justice system did not actually violate another persons rights at all, they just could have and that enough to hang them.

16. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

Bottom line here is you the carrier have to know the law,and you can not pick and choose the laws you want to follow or break,and if there is a law you do not agree with than you should go about trying to get it over turned.
    I have a friend who is Sikh and would love to ride his harley he bought but because of the stupid helmet laws he cannot so he and several other Sikhs are trying to repeal the law or at least have some sort of revision to the law so to not impede on his religious freedoms.
    My point is there are many stupid laws that are violating out rights and freedoms it does not mean we can just violate them without consequence.

17. Cnon

Cnon Member

And on some other forums, where I post this story, one question has been,

why didn't the teacher say where her permit was and was not good?

Cnon

18. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

The instructor I use makes it very clear he is not a lawyer or in law enforcement and that we are obligated to know and to keep up with the laws in regards to our permits.
    My permit is only good for two years at a time and the laws can change in those two years, that is the big problem with the instructor giving legal advice.

19. CrazedJava

CrazedJava New Member

While I agree with you in theory, the laws have become so byzantine, so prolific, and so obscured that it is difficult for the average citizen to know them all. With the general proximity of PA to NJ you would THINK that her CCW class would have covered the differences between states.

"Ignorance of the law is no excuse" was fine in the times when minor infractions were not felonies. Now, if you have 8 rounds loaded into a magazine you are a FELON in NY state. Legislatures continue to heap laws on our heads, many of which are conflicting. How many misdemeanors have you committed today? How many felonies this week? Chances are good everyone reading this has committed a crime multiple times this week and didn't even know it.

When I was in Criminal Justice classes, all of my professors talked about the role of Officer Discretion and how it was the #1 tool of the law enforcement profession. It was more important than even your firearm according to them. (Easy statement in a COLLEGE environment). I see very little officer discretion, especially in these stories from "Blue" states. Law enforcement seems to be taking the "enforcement" side very seriously while forgetting all about serving and protecting their communities.

This was not a dangerous criminal by any means. She is being made an example of to push an agenda.

20. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

You know, if the state is going to insist on a class, they should make sure it's comprehensive. That includes legal stuff. While the instructor can't/shouldn't go into detail, "make sure you know the laws" is not enough, IMHO. They should say things like "Your CCW permit may not be good in other states. I highly recommend you look at that before taking your gun acres state lines." And hand out some sort of printout that reinforces those points. In addition, quoting a law is not giving legal advice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.