Being born as a Pistol, but once stamped it'll be my first SBR

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by TexasGunner, Jan 15, 2014.

1. TexasGunner

TexasGunner New Member

Well Parts for my next build are arriving on a daily basis.....
    ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1389847419.288629.jpg
    This build will start out as a pistol but will quickly be transformed into a SBR once the stamp arrives. I have a couple of pistol buffers on hand already. I am going to go with the longer pistol buffer tube and put my Sig Tac SB15 brace on it to start out with. I am building this off an unfinished limited edition receiver set from Aero Precision. The barrel which should be here tomorrow is an 8" 1/8 twist melonite coated 300 AAC from MAS Defense. It will have a Noveske KX3 Flaming Pig and be tucked under a 9" Samson Evolution hand guard. As most that have seen my other builds have seen, I like to Cerakote my builds. This one will be getting a custom Metallic OD Green. I''m taking the OD Green and adding my own special tough to it. We will see if I will leave the furniture black or will decide to coat them in anoter color like burnt bronze. Who knows..... ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1389848055.318077.jpg ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1389848070.726282.jpg ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1389848082.680113.jpg ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1389848097.745208.jpg ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1389848117.705533.jpg ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1389848148.164004.jpg ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1389848162.975864.jpg

2. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Subscribed myself to this thread. You always build with nice colors!!

3. pizzaman

pizzaman New Member

Pew, no pew, and pew pew pew. That is awesome!

4. nosaj

nosaj New Member

Can't wait to see the OD Cerakote

5. TexasGunner

TexasGunner New Member

Tracking shows that it will be delivered tomorrow. Very excited! I will be doing my color testing and most likely parts coating over the weekend.

6. sigman84

sigman84 New Member

Will be a nice build!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Firearms Talk mobile app

7. nosaj

nosaj New Member

I tested out the OD theme by painting some plastic on mine.
    Loved the look and now need to start switching components (new grips, stock, mounts, mags...) over to the green
    *not cerakote....i just used krylon camo green*

Attached Files:

8. TexasGunner

TexasGunner New Member

image-2624862100.jpg
    Barrel came in today along with my trigger, LPK and adjustable gas block from Brownells.

Here's a mock up of the upper......

image-3903490139.jpg
    This thing is gonna be sweet!

9. sigman84

sigman84 New Member

No doubt!

10. KG7IL

KG7IL Well-Known Member

I like the Aero Precision parts. Great Company, AND.... just down the street from me. Lot's of local dealers at great prices.

11. nosaj

nosaj New Member

I'm probably going with a Samson handguard as well.....just gonna leave it black...haha

12. TexasGunner

TexasGunner New Member

You can't just leave it black! Not when Cerakote makes so many different colors! I like the hand stop. I also bought the QD sling connector.

13. nosaj

nosaj New Member

I would love to paint it but I'm not set up to do a proper Cerakote job. I also found out Samson makes a bipod stud for the handguard but you have to call them directly to order it.

14. okdonk

okdonk New Member

The diff between yours and mine are the caliber and color.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. pizzaman

pizzaman New Member

Beautiful !

16. kbd512

kbd512 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

TexasGunner, that is hands-down the best lower I've seen.

I give it the official KBD seal of approval.

Thanks, I needed the laugh.

17. TexasGunner

TexasGunner New Member

That is awesome! When I get my stamp, it will be getting the LWCR UCIW stock. Fully compacted it's about an inch shorter than my Magpul CTR stock.

image-1065393253.jpg

18. TexasGunner

TexasGunner New Member

Cerakote came in about 2:30 this afternoon. I got my OD Green transformed into metallic OD Green. Hopefully I'll get a little shop time tomorrow to run a test piece. If it is successful then I will try to prep and coat the upper, lower and hand guard.

I wonder if burnt bronze furniture would look good against the green?

19. TexasGunner

TexasGunner New Member

Prepped the parts for coating today, then sprayed the upper, lower and dust cover. My airbrush was giving me all sorts of problems. The finish was not as smooth as I am used to. So we'll see what it looks like when it comes out of curing. I did not coat the hand guard since I have a feeling I will be redoing the parts run tonight. Not sure what I really thing about the OD Green anyway. Only successful thing that happened in the spray booth was putting my mask on...... image-1474451342.jpg
    Ordered a much better airbrush when I got home, so I'll have a quality tool to work with in a few days.

20. sigman84

sigman84 New Member

Ya. Good airbrushes are needed. Do you use a detail gun or just I guess you could say a precision style air brush. I haven't messed with that stuff really in a couple years.