Beginning

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by Vinnie22500, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Vinnie22500

Vinnie22500 New Member

Hey, so i want to learn to be a gunsmith any suggestions how to do this?

2. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Search gunsmithing advise or gunsmithing classes

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

3. Vinnie22500

Vinnie22500 New Member

I found something online from like Penn Foster for under a grand but i dont have the most time or the money to pay for a class like that.

4. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Then find you a smith who is willing to take on an apprentice

5. Vinnie22500

Vinnie22500 New Member

Thanks that is a good idea

6. mudpupp

mudpupp New Member

When you become one, come to Vegas. These rip off artist around here charge to much.
    $100 to install night nights (just labor not sights)
    And $35 to replace a castle nut? Part not included?

Ours are getting bad auto mechanic reps..

7. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Hell its Vegas. You have to expect that. Move to missouri and ill hook you up w your choice of two smiths. Only problem being you see our work and youll really be up the creek. Most of the guns in the shop for sale we have either built from action out or refurbed after a) buyin em at an auction b) takin em in trade c) takin em as straight across payment....or lack there of.

8. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I took the Penn foster course for s&g. I completed it in under a month but I've got an engineering and machine operator background and was already working on guns. It's a good starter program to give you a knowledge base to build from but it is very basic.

9. Vinnie22500

Vinnie22500 New Member

Yeah i thought about that but i do not have the money to pay for that class.

10. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

It's only about $800. That's about as cheap as it gets. You might be able to find a quick nra course for around $500 but that would be just for a single type of gun like glocks only

11. blueshield67

blueshield67 New Member

Check out Sonoran Deserts gunsmith program from what I can tell its a solid program and comes with actual hands on learning.

12. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

find the best local smith in the area and ask him or her to let you sweep the floors for free.do the best job you can and IF you do a good job thay may like you and let you watch them(off the clock)work from there if your math skills are up to par you can learn how to run basic machine tools and the curve gos on. we are not talking red jacket talking about true smiths

13. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

There are skilled gun smith a rare breed. I use a world class gun maker and smith for my match rifles. They are all custom flinters by Steve Zhin. Guys like Steve did not learn from a cheap buck Mail Order school. Most of the Mail Order guys are "Gun Tinkers" that says it all. Save your money and go to the Jr. College in Trenidad, Colorado they have a real gun smith school. Good Luck:)

14. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

To begin training as a gunsmith, take all your guns, your friends' guns, and your neighbors' guns apart, put all the parts in a box, shake up the box, and put all the guns back together. If you want to be a good gunsmith, do everything mentioned above, but do it blind folded.

15. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

Yes he will need a Blind Fold alright. His neighbors will form a firing squad.:eek:

16. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

More like a clubbing squad since all their guns would be a jigsaw puzzle in a box;)