Firearms Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am brand new to this forum and sport. I understand that I can search this topic before I ask, and I have. So on to my question, I want to start competitive shooting, but i dont know what gun to start with. And and all information is appreciated. I dont really have a prove range, but since its a beginners thing, I dont want it to be super expensive. Thank you guys!

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
IDPA is a great sport. There are different divisions for different guns. Are you thinking auto or revolver? I shoot a 1911 in CDP. The nice thing about IDPA is it is all normal real world guns. No lazers, scopes or stuff like that. You can't really outspend everybody. You are supposed to use a right off the shelf gun. 1911s are popular. So are Glocks, M&Ps and I have seen a lot of people using the Ruger SR series guns too. Not many revolvers in my club. But there is a class for them.

Do you owns a handgun yet?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! And no I dont own a handgun :/. I was looking into bolt action rifles though. Although I will definitely look into what you have good me :). Am I in the wrong place to ask.about rifles?

·
Registered
127 Posts
dtchaulk said:
Hey guys, I am brand new to this forum and sport. I understand that I can search this topic before I ask, and I have. So on to my question, I want to start competitive shooting, but i dont know what gun to start with. And and all information is appreciated. I dont really have a prove range, but since its a beginners thing, I dont want it to be super expensive. Thank you guys!
Would recommend steel because you can use a .22 pistol to shoot the match. With competition muscle memory is your best friend. .22 makes the best muscle memory tool. I am sure people will disagree with me. I started in steel in January and am now into everything except action pistol.

·
Registered
21,822 Posts
to the FTF community. We are glad to have you as a new member!

All you need here is a thick skin and the ability to laugh at anything, including yourself!

Please read the following, it will save all of us a lot of time and trouble:

Please DO NOT post (including in your signature) advertisements, links to sell or advertise if you are not a vendor.

New folks- Please read this!!! << Click Here

FTF Newcomer's Guide << Click Here

How To Post Pics on FTF << Click Here

FTF's List Of Acronyms << Click Here

Join the Gun Owners of America, a worthy 2nd Amendment protector.

Gun Owners of America << Click Here

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
canebrake said:
to the FTF community. We are glad to have you as a new member!

All you need here is a thick skin and the ability to laugh at anything, including yourself!

Please read the following, it will save all of us a lot of time and trouble:

Please DO NOT post (including in your signature) advertisements, links to sell or advertise if you are not a vendor.

New folks- Please read this!!! << Click Here

FTF Newcomer's Guide << Click Here

How To Post Pics on FTF << Click Here

FTF's List Of Acronyms << Click Here

Join the Gun Owners of America, a worthy 2nd Amendment protector.

Gun Owners of America << Click Here
Perfect, thank you :)

·
Registered
11,483 Posts
apowers1214 said:
About 20 yards. It can be scary but most people shoot minor power factor reloads.
20 yards would be about the minimum safe distance for full power lead rounds. You really shouldn't be shooting jacketed at steel that close. I had an argument with a guy on my range about how close he was shooting at steel with his .45. He was using cast lead rounds which is definitely safer but still had to admit that at 10 yards he had a bullet bounce back and hit him in the forehead. He said it was like someone threw the bullet at him. Long story short I had him push it back to 25 yards. Just imagine if it had been a jacketed bullet though. He could have been seriously injured or killed. A jacketed bullet isn't going to pancake on the plate and expend that much energy before it comes back.

·
Registered
127 Posts
mountainman13 said:
20 yards would be about the minimum safe distance for full power lead rounds. You really shouldn't be shooting jacketed at steel that close. I had an argument with a guy on my range about how close he was shooting at steel with his .45. He was using cast lead rounds which is definitely safer but still had to admit that at 10 yards he had a bullet bounce back and hit him in the forehead. He said it was like someone threw the bullet at him. Long story short I had him push it back to 25 yards. Just imagine if it had been a jacketed bullet though. He could have been seriously injured or killed. A jacketed bullet isn't going to pancake on the plate and expend that much energy before it comes back.
Since they are big on safety it might be more like 25 yards. I see what you are saying though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts