Beginner Semi-Auto

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by taihawk, Jun 20, 2011.

1. taihawk

taihawk New Member

Just from being on the board a few hours really, and kinda looking months in advance before I invest in a semi-auto rifle (looking to start with a handgun first), but also eventually want a rifle before too long. I am assuming from all the threads mentioning AR15's, that this would be the most commonly recommended semi-automatic rifle as far as function AND cost?

ANY info helps as I am brand spankin new to all of this stuff, but am looking forward to catching the bug. Heck, don't even own one of my own yet and feel the bug setting in

2. fireguy

fireguy New Member

Are you wanting a center fire rifle, or would a .22 rimfire do? You can practice and learn a lot less expensively with a .22. I would guess that a big majority of the forum members cut their shooting teeth with .22's.
    Lots of choices with the rimfires. More money, but a good assortment with centerfires. More in the "black gun" style than pure hunting models.

I have an AR15 in 5.56 and a LR-308 and both are fun to shoot.

3. taihawk

taihawk New Member

Was thinking more along the lines of a "black gun" style. Where is a good place to learn the basics of rimfire vs center fire? Really a rookie here

4. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

I mostly learned by reading, asking questions, watching videos (hint: youtube) and by going to the range and renting some. If you know someone willing to show you...that would even be better. Another is by taking some training classes if you can afford it.

5. bontrager92fs

bontrager92fs New Member

Tai, definitely go to your LGS and take a look at what .22s they have. Like Poink said, its the best to learn the fundamentals with a .22 and is cheap to shoot. A Remington 597 is very accurate and reliable shouldn't run you more than $250.

6. eon047

eon047 New Member

If you want to go cheap I would recommend a .22lr from ruger. specifically the 10/22, seeing as there are awesome options for upgrading it and great selection of magazines. Also the stocks available for this weapon can make very "tacticool" if you desire. Also a great way to learn marksmanship skills. Example of a stock:Amazon.com: ArchangelĀ® 556 Rifle Stock: Sports & Outdoors

If you want something very similar to a ar-15 so when you spend money on one yo have the muscle memory I would go with the Smith & Wesson m&p15-22 lr. Great gun, shoots beautifully and cleans easily. M&P15-22 Rifle .22LR - Smith & Wesson

Now If you want to Get a straight up cheap AR-15 I would Recommend a Dpms Panther Sportical .223/5.56. They shoot Pretty decent. They are on the low end, so I would Recommend getting a chrome lined barrel if you want to shoot tons of ammo through it. I've had one of these for a while and its been working excellent so far with mil surplus ammo. Just requires you to clean it out afterwards. You also need some sights. I recommend Magpul's Back-up sights. Amazon.com: Magpul Front Back-Up Sight - Black: Sports & Outdoors

Also A good option is an sks rifle. Cheap, Reliable, and ammo isn't expensive.
    Will run you about 300$ depends on who imported it and some other factors.

Any further questions just feel free to pm me.

7. gibson279

gibson279 New Member

if you want to start with a centerfire try a service grade m1 garand from the cmp i learned to shoot with a mosin nagant

8. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

I would recommend either starting on a rimfire .22 or starting on something like a surplus military firearm like a Mosin Nagant, Mauser, or Ak 47. All four of those options are very cost effective, especially the Mosin Nagant, which is what I started on with a rifle. Matter of fact the Mosin Nagant is one of my favorite rifles still, and it taught me marksmanship and how to handle recoil.

9. orangello

orangello New Member

My first semi-auto was a Marlin Model 60 when i was maybe seven or eight. I still have it. It was cheap to feed & killed many, many treerats & cans.

I also have an SKS that i enjoy shooting. It shoots the same round as the AK-47 (7.62mmx39mm), making it fairly cheap to feed. I spent about $300 on mine, a Norinco with the spike bayonet. I bought a groovy OD green stock set and some matching removable 20 round magazines to dress it up a bit. It is a fun rifle that i don't see myself ever selling.

My buddy picked up a Romanian AK-type rifle (semi-automatic) for not too much more than i paid on the SKS. He has it totally tacticooled out with rails & such, very "black rifle". It is also a fun rifle to shoot, just a bit lighter weight than the SKS.

Are you thinking of plinking fun or home defense or hog hunting or what?

Now, if you want to shoot things 300 or more yards away accurately, you would probably prefer an AR. Accessories seem a bit pricier on the AR platform, but more are available.

Pics & some prices http://www.classicarms.us/ Wikipedia has SOME decent summary/history info on some rifles too.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  10. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Marlin 60. Who needs to spend 250+ on a 22 rifle, when $150 gets you the best?

Once you've decided. 22 doesn't quite fulfill the need, an sks, AR15, or mosin/Mauser should make the shaking stop.

I've never owned an sks/AK, but have hd AR's, mosins, and Mausers. I prefer the Mauser over the mosin, as they were of a better quality, BUT, that 8mm isn't as cheap as it used up be.

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

cant go wrong with a 5.56/223 ar15 and a cmmg conversion kit to shoot 22lr out of it. gives you 5.56/223 and 22lr.

price a factor than a ruger 10/22 for 22lr

or a mosin nagant 91/30 if you want a centerfire bolt gun 89-129$ with cheap surplus ammo readily available.

while the dedicated ar15 style 22lr are very nice like the Smith and Wessom MP15-22 they are almost the price of a low end AR15.

12. rjgnwdc

rjgnwdc New Member Supporter

.22cal pistol

Like all the others have recommended .22 lr rimfire would be my choice for getting somebody started in the wild world of firearms you said you wanted a pistol first I would highly recommend the Ruger MKIII I chose the 5.5" "Bull barrel" but they are available in several sizes I knew I would be shooting a lot
    so the bull barrel will hold up for decades of plinking. Check it out

[​IMG]

13. 40calcliffy

40calcliffy New Member

What is the average price of a .22 lr and ammo? Also what is the reliability factor and how easy are they to maintain?

14. opaww

opaww New Member

I got my Walther P22 for $200 U.S. from a pawn shop, The ammo is about $15 U.S. for 550 rounds. It has never had a jam of misfire and have shot about 1600 rounds through it so far. Easy to clean and low maintance.

15. Leathermarshmallow

Leathermarshmallow New Member

Starting off, .22 LR is the way to go. You can buy 500 rounds at wallyworld for less than $20. There are several good semi auto rifles out there that are inexpensive and reliable. Ruger 10/22, Remington 597, mossberg whatever it is called. In a .22 LR pistol, you have ruger and browning at the top of the list, then you have others like Beretta, Bersa, Sig, S&W and others.

A .22 LR will always be fun to shoot. You can spend $20 for an afternoon at the range. The same $20 towards a centerfire rifle or pistol means maybe 100 rounds of something. Probably less. In otherwords, you get to shoot 15 minutes with a centerfire or a couple of hours with the .22 LR.

Self defense or hunting scenarios of course are different. Your milage may vary.

16. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

I agree.

However, every time we go to the range, no matter how hard I remind my wife to enjoy the 22LR, she finds it "boring" after a while and shoots the .40 cal & 9mm more.

17. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

this is very true and i dont want to sound like im bashing. just i know from my expreinces that starting to shoot with a larger caliber rifle, while it can be helpful for learning recoil. can also incure very bad habits. such as flinching, or closings ones eyes and once a bad habit is started can often be hard to stop.

18. eon047

eon047 New Member

Average price for a .22lr is around 500 rounds for fifteen bucks, by comparison some Romanian surplus 7.62x54r(mosin nagant ammo) will cost you around 90 bucks for 440 rounds. 7.62x39mm ammo costs around 100 bucks for 500 rounds(if someone find its cheaper, local and online that's the prices i get, might be wrong do.). Personally I would buy the mosin nagant, due to the common availability and low price, along with fun of shooting it( be prepared for the sharp recoil, kicks harder then mule.)

19. rodent.22

rodent.22 New Member

A Ruger .22 pistol can be had new for $269.00 or so. Bulletproof and a blast to shoot. The S&W 15/22 is good, the Colt/Umarex M4- M16 in .22 is good. The Mossberg tactical .22 is worth looking at. The Ruger Ranch Rifle is a good centerfire rifle in .223/556, absolutely bulletproof. If you want an Olympic- accuracy rifle the Ruger ain't it. GREAT for plinking and home defense. It will put a military round into a chest-sized target at 100 yards NO PROBLEM. It will cost about the same new as a low-end AR rifle. The Ranch Rifle is a scaled-down M1/M14 style arm. One can be purchased for $400.00 or so used if you shop around. There's a world of fun out there, look around and get what catches YOUR eye. Good Shooting!:D

20. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

If you want a "black" .22 rifle, get the S&W M&P AR15-22. It is my more fun that a barrel of monkeys gun. I can't say enough good things about it. It is more expensive than a standard .22, but it can be accessorized beyond your imagination and is the easiest design to maintain and clean available today.

If you want a standard .22 rifle, I'd recommend the Marlin model 60 and probably a Ruger 10/22 second.

For pistols: check out Ruger and Browning if you want a semi-auto and the S&W 17 or 617 for revolvers. The S&W is more expensive, but it will be the most reliable .22 you ever put your hands on. Most .22's are finicky about the ammo they will eat. You have to shoot through a lot of boxes to find out what your gun prefers. You don't have to worry about that with the S&W revolver. It will eat anything happily.