before i buy!

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by juststartin5272, Feb 18, 2013.

1. juststartin5272

juststartin5272 New Member

I've found a Taurus pt92 and Bersa thunder 380 for myself and my wife. Not exactly what I had my heart set on but meets all the criteria I had set forth in other posts. What do y'all think of them? The Bersa I have no reservations about, I have never seen a bad review on these guns. So really the Taurus is in question.

2. blade777bec

blade777bec New Member

Not sure bout the 92 but there mill pro is awful and dont every hear any good bout tarus as a whole so id do my hw b4 buy n

3. juststartin5272

I have most say the pt92 is an exception to the general poor quality. More looking for any owners and their experiences. Reviews only do so much. I do like that if there are issues Taurus has a good rep for standing behind their product and fixing foul ups

4. TaurusUserPT92

TaurusUserPT92 New Member

I own the pt92 and must say they're not the best but definitely nice. The mags are a little crappy I switched to mec gar mags and they're much better than factory. Also it doesn't like all ammo had a couple ftfs with federal round nose fmj but found hollow points and flat nose cycle better

5. bige91603

bige91603 New Member

I personally love Taurus, the smaller cheaper models have their flaws but when it comes to 92, 96 or 1911 they are good for the prices

6. gr8oldguy

gr8oldguy New Member

One of my favorite carry guns is my Bersa 380. It's a great gun. I'm leary of taurus autos, seen too many broken dreams at the range with folks trying to get them to work. That being said, it's a great looking gun, but for a few dollars more you could have the real deal. good luck

7. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

I agree, my mom has a bersa 380 that she loves. I'm skeptical about taurus autos. I'm sure their revolvers are plenty fine though.

8. gearhead396

gearhead396 New Member

Own a Basra thunder 380 myself and I love it the safety decocks the hammer so you can carry safety off hammer down or safety on hammer up I carry it both ways it's a great gun and is a great shooter I love the trigger pull

9. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

The Taurus is a tricky one. They're one of those manufactures when you'd be smart to check to make sure it wasn't manufactured on a friday afternoon. Best thing you can do with one is run a couple hundred rounds through it. If you've got no problems after that, chances are you won't in the future. In the end it comes down to good steel, engineering and craftsmanship. Taurus has the first two, the last can be hit and miss.

10. DFlynt

DFlynt New Member

Owned a PT-92 it ran like a clock, ate any 9mm ammo I fed it, good accuracy, had a couple of sharp spots on the controls which were easily taken care of, I like the reversible mag release (I'm a left handed shooter). All in all it was a nice pistol.

11. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

I don't think Taurus has a quality problem. They make a solid firearm. I think they have a consistency problem. Like with anything else, bad news travels fast and that hurts a reputation.

12. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

Like I said earlier I have no experience with them, I'm sure they have quality products. You always hear the negatives about things first.

13. juststartin5272

I already went ahead and bought the Bersa earlier this evening. Pictures to follow when it shows up. And will most likely go tomorrow and pick up the pt92 unless by some miracle Academy has something I like more.

14. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

YaY! range report! range.....report! gimme :D

15. juststartin5272

They'll be coming soon. The bersa is on its way and I gotta get some 9mm before I can shoot the Taurus

16. blade777bec

blade777bec New Member

What ever u buy start picking up ammo when u can like gold hear in ga unless its 45 acp that stuff is everywhere beats me y

17. molonlabexx

molonlabexx New Member

My father recently bought a bersa thunder 9mm sub compact. Great brand and the .380's are awesome from what I have heard. Honestly, I hate Taurus. They make decent revolvers though. I would go with the bersa and maybe get another .380. But definitely go with the bersa .380

18. InDefenseofLiberty

InDefenseofLiberty New Member

Lack of consistency IS a quality problem. I haven't come across a Taurus auto I liked EVER. Fit/finish problems abound throughout the line. Triggers suck nuts. It seems to me that Taurus owners should shoot higher quality brands like Ruger/Sig sauer/springfield/colt before they try to defend the indefensible. Then at least they would have an appreciation for quality craftsmanship.

As for the Bersa. Had a thunder 380 for 8 years as my wifes pistol. She hated manipulating the safeties. Got her an XDm and sold the Bersa. Bersa ran great till the mag springs got weak then the jam on the last 2 rounds of every mag started and sealed it's fate in my wifes eyes. She hated the trigger pull on that one also.

19. 7mmstw

7mmstw New Member

I'd say bersa for sure but I would recommend to save a few more dollars and get a kahr

20. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

If your gun shops worth a darn way not ask them to find what you really want >> I would pass on the pt92 or a berreta. Heavy pistols and nothing special about ether.