Before and After

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by DrumJunkie, Jan 5, 2011.

1. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

For the longest time I've been looking for a way to replace the black plastic hand guards on my M70. I found this set at Apex Gun Parts. THey where really cheap and they where in pretty rough shape soaked up with cosmoline and other nasty stuff. But with a bunch of degreaser, sanding, staining, Tru-Oiling, I finally got them to look OK. THey still have a few spots on them but I was not really trying to get them to look like a brand new set.

They started out pretty much like this like this
    [​IMG]
    And I here the are on the rifle...
    [​IMG]

All in all I think they come out pretty well. And getting them for all of 20 bucks shipped mad it an inexpensive project.

2. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

Nice work on those. A little elbow grease goes a long way.

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

They look great. Nice work.

4. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Thanks a lot, they come out pretty good. For the money and time I put into them I was very happy with how it come out. Finding wood for the M70 is a little difficult and can get pretty expensive. Two things that should not be dealt with when talking about an AK type weapon. At any rate it looks much better than the black plastic things that come on it.

5. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Very nice, looks good.:cool: I have been pondering going back to the wood furniture on the WASR. I think I will look for the old wood and refinish it.:D

6. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Shihan wants to refish his old wood. Lol

7. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

I'm sure RSG would like to see some improvement to his wood also.

8. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

[​IMG]

9. pranc2

pranc2 New Member

very nice..
    got the same problem on my sks. always hated the only plastic on the whole thing.