Been Reloading For A Week Now

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by ninjatoth, Mar 7, 2015.

1. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

Two questions:

1. I noticed that there was a ton of smoke with some 150gr cast LSWC bullets when fired from 3.5gr of Titegroup, is it possible that one bullet could make the powder smoke more vs another bullet, and would more powder cause more smoke/less powder less smoke or vice versa etc?

2. What would happen if I loaded up .38spl or .38spl+P using magnum small pistol primers? Would it burn the powder better, same, be safe or be dangerous etc etc?

I'm looking to be frugal between interchanging components and being able to make either .38spl or .357 magnum with the same components if you are curious. Looking to maybe standardize one jacketed bullet, and possibly primers as well for two different loads. The only gun I use is chambered in .357 magnum if that makes a difference as well.

2. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

Picked up some .357" 125gr XTP and loaded them to the max of 5.0gr of Titegroup in a .38spl+P and gave them a try. POA right on @ 7 yards, much cleaner powder wise, and less recoil than the 158gr LSWC with only 3.5gr Titegroup. I think this load is a keeper, yeah it costs me more at $0.25 a round, but the comparable ammunition to what I made are the Remington Golden Saber's and Ultimate Defense .38spl 125gr+P and they run $1.08 a round. I love being able to load premium ammo at less cost than the junkiest target loads that you can buy,(if) you can find it available :D

3. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

If the cast bullets had lube on them that could account for the smoke.

4. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

They had the wax ring on them, the blue bullet pictured below was the worst.

Attached Files:

5. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I have noticed a couple of issues with different brass casings of different brands. The brass with the head stamp "CBC" is always difficult to seat a jacketed 158gr bullet, and you see a bulge on the outside of the case, but with 125gr jacketed bullets this is not an issue.

The other thing I noticed is with the Remington brass with the head stamp "R - P", it has the opposite problem, while they seat a 158gr jacketed bullet just fine, a 125gr jacketed bullet almost drops right in to the cannelure and it cannot be crimped tight enough to keep it from creeping deeper into the case. Anyone else have these problems?

6. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

Ok, finally picked up some Federal small pistol magnum primers and took my hand at my first .357 magnums. I used the 5.0 Lee dipper and a 125gr XTP for my first load, it was a mere 5.9gr of Titegroup and they felt no different to me being fired than 5.0gr of Titegroup in a .38spl+P. Just now I whipped up another batch of .357 magnums/125gr XTP but this time I used 7.1gr of Titegroup(Lee book says starting charge for Titegroup is 6.8gr and max charge 7.5gr) I will see how they shoot tomorrow.

7. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I been playing around with Titegroup and 125gr XTP's by the 0.1 gr lately, going between 4.3 and 5.0 gr in a .38spl. There are huge differences in my particular Ruger SP101 2.25" by even a tenth of a grain. Yesterday I fired ten rounds each at 7 yards, ten were 4.3 gr and ten were 4.5 gr. The results spoke for themselves and I now can say that the 125gr XTP over 4.5 gr of [email protected] 1.455" OAL is my go to round. There was no smoke at 4.5gr as where at 4.3gr there is visible smoke. I am getting perfect pressure and perfect accuracy at 4.5gr. Just wanted to share that.

Attached Files:

8. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Hey ninjatoth. The biggest problem I see is that you bench is way too clean. What is wrong with you? Get some old brass and toss a few pieces on the floor and around the bench. And go to the back yard and get some dirt to rub into the tabletop. Geeze dude...pull yourself together.