Beef Jerky with a dehydrator

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by WDB, Oct 13, 2009.

1. WDB

WDB New Member

I bought a dehydarator for many reasons but have to admit it was to make beef jerky. I dried veggies and fruits with out an issues and enjoyed them. Still haven't found a decent beef jerky method on the web. At best I'm making A+ dog treats:eek:

Anyone with some experience:confused:

2. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Get a box fan and 4 or 5 a/c filters (NONfiberglass) and 4 bungee cords.

1. make your jerky
    2. lay your jerky strips wet in the pleats of the filters and then stack the filter on top of the box fan. making sure the outer most filter is free form jerky strips.
    3. attach with bungee cords and turn fan on med. set on saw horses
    4. let sit for 4 or 5 days or longer.
    5. remove and enjoy tasty tender jerky.

the dehydrators make the worst dried the hell out jerky because they use heat. You don't want heat you want air lots of air flow and that air needs to be cool........

Seen alton brown do it this wan on the food network it cam out really good.

3. shadomunkey

shadomunkey New Member

I use my dehydrator for peppers and onions and such, but never had much luck with drying meat. A buddy of mine uses a smoker to make his deer jerky and it turns out fantastic! He uses a garlic and pepper marinade he gets from Gander Mountain. I'll have my own smoker by the time rifle season gets here.

4. divinginn

divinginn New Member

I use the oven set on about 150 degrees with the door cracked,I hang the jerky off the rack with toothpicks,you have to make sure you do not over dry it or it will just suck all the moisture out of your mouth and be inedible,for a marinade I just use Italian dressing,hot sauce and what ever I can find in the cabinet and let it soak for a day or so. On deer meat you have to get the membrane off the outside of the meat or it turns into chewing gum.

5. ItsmeShane

ItsmeShane New Member

don't make beef jerky but me and dad make deer jerky.

6. danrak

danrak New Member

I have not had much luck on the dehydrator yet. I'm not sure if it is the seasoning I'm using or what. I tried the seasonings that you can find in Bass Pro Shop, and other such stores.

That being said, I've made some great jerky on the smoker. I used my own recipes, or some store bought marinaides.

Maybe after I'm done playing around with leathers on the dehydrator I'll try some jerky again.

7. Hey-you-guys

Hey-you-guys New Member

Yeah same here. Tastes good and healthier for you.

8. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

"Big Chief" smoker is the best for jerky, from what I hear, and not too big or expensive.

9. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

I've been using my dehydrator for years and it is the best method of making jerky IMO.

I use a commercial product made by Hi Mountain. This come with a cure, seasoning and instructions. I buy the mixes at Gander and really like the pepper blend.

My favorite concoction is as follow, place venison or beef strips in large zip lock bag, cover entire meat with soy sauce, put in a cup of brown sugar and cayeanne pepper to taste, I like mine sweet and hot. Refrigerate for a couple of days turning the mixture and kneading the bag to mix.Yum! You can add a cap of liquid smoke or leave out the peppers if your some kind of girl or for those that don't like it spicy.

If you cut your strips about 1/4 inch thick, your going to have to leave the jerky in the dehydrator for up to 22 hours depending on room temperature and on the brand of the dehydrator. I try to rotate the shelves every two to four hours, taking the finished hunks of jerky off as they get done. The jerky seems to continue to dry in the refrigerator for a while after taking out of the dehydrator. HJ

10. WDB

WDB New Member

Thanks Joe, I just ordered both Hi Mountian variety packs on line for less than $40 and will process 40 lbs of meat. Should give an idea wich ones I like the best. I'll also try your other suggestion, need brown sugar first.

11. ItsmeShane

ItsmeShane New Member

im going to give them a try to. probably order one of the variety packs.

12. nathan2013collins

nathan2013collins New Member

I really love to eat beef jerky and buying from the grocery cost me a lot. So i found a way to satisfy my cravings. A beef jerky dehydrator will solve my problem. :0

13. Gizord1

Gizord1 New Member

I usually make deer jerky on mine, but beef works just as well. I put the meat strips in a gallon zip lock, add marinades, soy sauce, dale sauce, spices, etc., put in the fridge overnight to marinade, take it out the next day, and put it on the dehydrator. Works great almost all the time.

14. steve666

steve666 New Member

I've found that most jerky made using a dehydrator ends up being very moist, kind of like the Jack Link's Kippered Beef strips.

15. tydoog

tydoog New Member

best dehydrator?

hey guys I'm looking for a little help before I purchase a dehydrator. I've ever dried food before or done jerky or anything but I want to get into it. I've been looking around for dehydrators and I'm leaning towards the nesco american harvest FD-37 that I found on this site http://www.squidoo.com/how-to-make-jerky-and-dried-foods-with-a-dehydrator and i'm curious what you guys think of nesco dehydrators or if you have suggestions of other brands I should consider? Any help would be great before I make a purchase, thanks guys.

16. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

I have only made beef jerky once but I make deer jerky every now and then with a dehydrator that is about 20 years old. It just has a simple coil in the bottom and multiple stackable trays.

The biggest thing is to marinate it for about a day in the fridge and then dehydration process takes about a day or so. The long you keep it plugged in, the more dry it will get.

17. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I have an Excalibur dehydrator. It works great. I forget what I paid for it.

18. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I've made a ton of jerky with my dehydrator. The trick is to use ground meat.

Really easy, and dries overnight.:)

19. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

1st you cut up the meat. I love cutting meat so do it with a knife.
    [​IMG]

Then you put it in a marinade of your choice for at least 20-24 hrs.
    [​IMG]

Then you put it the dehydrator. I use 5-6 trays.
    [​IMG]

This is what you get 5-8 hrs later depending on how dry you want it. I have a buddy who does 12 hrs and it is really good too.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]