beavertail safety question

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by waxman895, Nov 16, 2010.

1. waxman895

waxman895 New Member

i started doing major practice for my ccw today (because it finally came in!) but im not going to actually carry till i become quite proficent but anyways i was introduced to grip bite? aka the thumb safety making my hand bleed on draw shots. The guy who owns the range reccomnd i get a full beavertail thumb safety now since im no gunsmith i cant do it myself but my question is about how much should it cost for me to have it done? thanks for the help!

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

prolly 50-100 labor +part cost depending on who and how fast. but im guessing based on what the local gander mountain smiths charge for labour.

3. Squirrel_Slayer

Squirrel_Slayer New Member

How can I look up the approximate price for a gunsmith to mill a slide for an adjustable rear sight?

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

i would start with a google for "gunsmith Rocklin, California" looks like a couple of local shops to you. then visit in person and get recomendations usually you get better results in referrals in person than on the phone. go to more than one and see if anyone local is recomended by multiple places.

5. Squirrel_Slayer

Squirrel_Slayer New Member

I found a place in Granite Bay called J and G Gunsmithing and I emailed their sales department to see what I am looking at price wise to get some milling work done on the slide, on the main spring housing, and front/rear sight installation. I'm anxious to have that pistol completed and done with.

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

take your time make sure its going to be right. rushing some work like that can be disastrous.

7. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I've heard of slide bite but never grip bite from the thumb safety??

If the thumb safety is causing the problem, changing out the grip safety won't do you any good.

Find a drop-in or do it your self:

Starts on post 42 and continues on 44 & 45.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/...rowland-build-off-10752/index5.html#post75596

8. Slodad

Slodad New Member

Go to the websites of some of the better known 1911 customizers such as Wilson or Clark or Les Baer. They often list their prices for services. Since you're in Rocklin, you might also ask TDS Guns to recommend somebody.