Beater 1911

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by wayno148, Jul 3, 2012.

1. wayno148

wayno148 New Member

I want a beater 1911 all steel, accurate enough for ccw and reliability most important...prefer Commander but other sizes considered......waiting on my DW-CCO is starting to make me more anxious as the days go on.:D

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

3. cuba

cuba New Member

The Rocks are more of a pounder not a beater, well I guess it depends in which part of the county your from.

shoot safe, shoot straight, and have fun

4. JD1969

JD1969 New Member

Agreed. I own a Commander RIA and could not be more happy. It shoots very well, eats anything I feed it (even Tula), fires JHP's. Only thing I did was to replace the grips, the factory ones are too thick for me. Get a good holster, because like any all steel 1911, they are heavy. I bought mine for the same reason a "beater 1911" but I like it so much I treat it very well. It is my daily (I carry at work because I live in IL and at home) carry.

5. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I think they are the best gun for the money out there for 1911's

6. LongBaller71

LongBaller71 New Member

+1 for the RIA. Gonna be hard pressed to find a better bang for the buck.

7. trip286

trip286 New Member

Slow down! High standard is another Filipino maker that's right up there with rock island.

8. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I am still convinced that even though the High Standard 1911 is a philippine made gun that it will compete with most high end 1911s on performance. I have yet to see otherwise, i would line mine up against any out there.

9. trip286

trip286 New Member

I believe it. I want the old school GI style they make.

10. bearrwe

bearrwe New Member

I love my RIA it's funny about the grips though, I put on wrap a rounds because I thought they were to thin. :)

11. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I dont like the word beater when talking about 1911s

12. JD1969

JD1969 New Member

I wanted as thin a profile as possible. It is still comfortable to shoot, and I have big hands too. It's all in what feels right. Also what Trip and Wray said about High Standards is true, they are an excellent gun for the money.

13. bearrwe

bearrwe New Member

Hi Standards look like excellent guns. I understand about the profile but if I want to conceal a 45 that's what the Detonics is for. It's a little long in the tooth but I still like it.

14. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Why is there such a delay in getting your DW-CCO?

15. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

SA, Metro Arms, ATI (which makes one hell of a gun) RIA all make guns that are cheap enough to be considered beater guns. I own 5 RIA, 3 Metro Arms and a couple of ATIs and its a wash on reliability. RIAs are by far the roughest finish, with ATI and Metro Arms tied for finish. SA is the way to go if you can find a good used GI or Mil-Spec at a good price. Plus with a SA a top notch gun smith will love working on it should you decide to "upgrade it".

16. bearrwe

bearrwe New Member

Yeah and some of us gunsmiths would love working on the others mentioned if you wanted them "upgraded".:D No gun, no gunsmith nor even shooter started out with a great reputation, they had to earn it. The guns we refer to as beaters today may be the ones everybody wants tomorrow. Safari Arms, Detonics were a couple of the high end guns that have fallen from their top positions I've seen a lot of guns go up and down and companies change hands. Find a gun you like, :cool:shoot it until you're comfortable and trust it and use the money you saved on the "beater" on good leather and more ammo.:)

17. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i agree with Limbkiller. the MetroArms are very good pistols. i am on my second one now, a Commander sized 1911. the other a FS Government Model, American Classic II was a dang good one, but was traded to a very, very close friend. notice i said very, very close friend, because i don't trade 1911's with just anyone! i ordered a RIA, and am very impressed with them as well. the SA 1911's, hard to beat them too, but are a little more expensive, but worth the money. i have had many SA 1911's over the years, and have never had one that didn't perform flawlessly.

18. billt

billt New Member

So is Citadel. And they are far more avaliable now. At least in my area, (Arizona). The Citadel is manufactured in the same Armscor plant where the Rock Island guns are. They are just a whole lot nicer finished, with better grips, at just a few more dollars than a plain Jane RIA.

19. ellwood45c

ellwood45c New Member

Heres my citadel, i really do love it. I have over 5000 rounds through her with only one issue, and that was with one of my reloads. Any factory ammo ive put through her with no issues.
    I got it last febuary at a big gun show in induana, i was looking for a rock but found this instead. I paid 530.00 out the door and couldnt be happier. All that ive seen latley are over 650.00 i want to get a compact but it will wait till i get a colt commander first.

Attached Files:

20. wayno148

wayno148 New Member

We can use what ever word you would like but I was thinking along the lines of a AH popo throwing in box after confiscating for no good reason. ;):D