bear

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by boatman, Oct 26, 2011.

1. boatman

boatman New Member

Was watching something on vs. about hunting in wy or montana and they took out a grizzly. Was wondering if people eat bear?

I don't hunt, just target shoot. Not against it, but just feel you should be doing it not for sport. Not saying I am right, just my opinion. Understand deer, turkey, etc. But I have never seen anyone in my area serve bear. So was wondering if I just haven't been exposed to it. I figure a grizzly has a few hundred lbs of meat on it, it would feed lots for a long time...

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

Yes, some people eat bear. I haven't had the chance to try any, but would like to. It's not very common.

3. rigjumpr

rigjumpr New Member

yes we do and its damn tasty, by itself bear is very lean and you need to add fat (pork) to it but yes it is very tasty. my inlaws have a yearly hunt and put on a bear burger cook-out.

4. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Make sure it is thoroughly cooked. Use the same temperature guide lines as pork. Bear meat can be infected with Trichina same as pork especially wild pig.:eek:

5. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

My friends dad many years ago mixed about 50 % bear with 50% pig and made breakfast sausage. Best sausage I remember eating.

6. gutz47

gutz47 New Member

Manbearpig sausage huh? Sounds like a conspiracy.

7. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

my uncle and aunt both have shot a black bear. i was young but remember liking the meat. cant really describe the taste tho

8. HotFudge

HotFudge New Member

Only if it was 50% bear, 50% pig, 50% man.

9. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Black bear stew in heavy gravy.......mmmmmmmmm....and if no one told you it was bear, you'd swear it was an outstanding pot roast!

It's that good! I bet orangello would love it!!! :p

10. vincent

vincent New Member

Yes, exactly, just like pot roast but it has to be cooked right.

11. JD1969

JD1969 New Member

That's how I remember it, but it was a long time ago. I lived in rural Maine for 20 years and very rarely saw a black bear in the wild. We owned 27 acres of forest with streams and some good size hills and a marshy area. I spent countless hours in those woods and never saw a bear, but saw plenty of tracks and sign.

12. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Truckee Ca. a couple of years ago.

Attached Files:

13. fmj

fmj Active Member

Blackies are VERY reclusive. We have a sow that inhabits the property in the UP of MI...i have seen her sign PLENTY of times but have yet to make her aquaintance in person.....and i PREFER we keep it that way!!

14. jeepejeep

jeepejeep New Member

A few years ago I went bear hunting in Maine. I didn't get lucky but one of the guys who did was nice enough to donate a backstrap for us to try. The cook didn't marinate it or anything, just put it on the bar-B-Q and it was so tender and tasty! Excellent meat.

15. orangello

orangello New Member

I hear that bear meat is delicious and hope it is more addictive than caffeine.

There are many other reasons to hunt other than for food. Please consider the lives you could be saving by killing bear in an area where they are overpopulated or encroaching on housing. With sooo many tourists looking at them like plush teddy bears and so many areas with restrictive hunting laws, we North American humans need as many people who can hunt bears out there gunning for them as possible.

If you can only hunt by rationalizing it as a trip to the butcher's counter, enjoy the frikkin bear burgers, bear bisque, bear brisket, and sweet flaming bear foster. Braised Bear Paws Recipe - Food.com - 340755 Red Mountain Barbecued Bear Recipe - Food.com - 74956

I hear the younger ones are more tender. :D

16. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

For a grand total of 150%!

17. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

I have had black bear and a 800blb griz. Ill eat black bear anytime if cooked right. As to a griz-its really greasy and has a bad acidic like taste. Now if you want good eatting you should try cougar meat. Its sweet, tender, and plus if you like huntting with dogs it a heck of an experience.:)

18. fmj

fmj Active Member

caught and ate a cougar one time and it was.....OH, your talking about puma, the big cat, sorry, my bad...;):rolleyes:

19. jeepejeep

jeepejeep New Member

BWAHAHAHA!! Oh you naughty boy!!

20. Bigcat_hunter

Bigcat_hunter New Member

I have shot bears and eat them. They have a real mild taste. I like to make jerky and burger with them. Never ate a brown/griz though. Here are some pics;

Attached Files: