Bear Round

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by colmustard, Sep 10, 2014.

1. colmustard

colmustard New Member

Ok all so I am going to the smoky mtns and doing a long hike. The bears that are native there are black bears. My choices for handguns that I can bring are a S&W sigma in .40 that holds 14 per mag, a FNP in .45 that holds 15 in a mag or a 1911 in .45.

So yes I know that neither of these calibers are recommended for bear but they are my best options as I do not have the money to go and buy a new hand gun right now. So please no comments on other calibers :)

So between the two calibers which would be better? The .45 is slow and big and the .40 is faster but smaller.

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

fnp .45acp. order some buffalo bore https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=69 what you need when going undergunned is penetration and capacity. every round counts. 45 acp has enough energy in fmj format to get to the vitals if using 230grain fmj.

DO NOT use hollow point or other expanding bullets on dangerous game. using handguns on bears, even with a 500sw, the truth is your going to get mauled if the bear continues the attack and is not scared by the noise. secondly you will need blood clot pressure bandages tournequet and a means of calling for help and a gps to give your coordinates.

bears run at 30mph for tens of miles. you cannot run from one. they climb trees as well as a squirrel does...at 30mph... you cannot out climb one. they are stronger than you are you will not out wrestle one even if your grizzly adams. people that survive bear attacks self treat for first aid and get help quickly.

i would be more concerned with first aid a gps and a cellphone/satphone that works where your hiking.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014

3. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

If a bear attacks you in your living room, the bear is at fault. If a bear attacks you in the forest, you were trespassing. Avoid the bears.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

if a bear attacks you in the forest, the locals have not been killing enough bears. they are at fault

5. 25-5

25-5 New Member

Aim for the eye. You can practice by bouncing a Ping pong ball down the range.
    Pair up with someone you can outrun.
    I apologize !

6. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

Bears look at campers in sleeping bags as "TACO's" :D

7. 25-5

25-5 New Member

Tree huggers hike the Smokies all the time, unarmed, w/o incident.
    I would take the. 1911 w/FMJ ammo.
    Watch for scat. And cubs.

8. jakebrake

jakebrake New Member

if a bear attacks you in the woods, and you shoot it with a 25 acp, will anyone hear it?

9. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Actually the nose is a bigger target and the largest opening into the skull. If you can find a 45ACP+P hardball or hard cast that is your best option with the pistol. You wont have time for more than a couple of rounds if it charges and you will be high on adrenaline. Bear spray is very effective but you will probably spray yourself too. If you encounter a bear make a lot of noise and try to make yourself look bigger than you are. Black bears are usually not that aggressive unless you get between them and a cub or come up on them on a kill. I said usually, they can be aggressive but it is not often

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

its like shark attacks in hawaii. the local media has no interest in publicizing animal attacks.

while i was stationed in hawaii shark attacks were a weekly occurance at local beaches on the northside of oahu. but you never saw the stories in local media. ambulances hauling off surfers all the time.

waimea bay on the north shore was my fav hangout off duty. i used to sit up on the top of the beach and watch the morons wipe out and get attacked by sharks. best day was three bites on three surfers one arm taken off. not a peep in the media.

bears in tourist areas same thing. happens all the time just doesnt make the news. popular myth is black bears are harmless. they are man killers no different than grizzlies

11. 25-5

25-5 New Member

Thanks a lot Jon ! I already don't swim in the ocean.
    I do take a 29 in the Smokies.
    So you're a sayin Davy didn't kill him a bar when he was only three?

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

with a rifle maybe...

but not with a knife

13. colmustard

colmustard New Member

Thanks all for the answers and humor :) Like I said I know I am under gunned but something is better than nothing. Looks like .45 is the winner here and that is what I was leaning towards anyway. Every time I have been there I see bears and I usually take a .45 but just wanted to check. Someday I may be able to get a .44 mag. Also nice advise about first aid, I always keep that gear with me. As far as gps sadly I do not have a handheld one, but I always let family know where I am at and our route. Thanks again all!

14. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

This is a prime opportunity to procure another firearm. ;)

15. JonM

JonM Moderator

if you have a portable car gps take that. it will give your coordinates. thats all you really need in an emergency. it can also act as a compass in a pinch. garmins work the best

my garmin goes in my pack when im hunting. i know the property like i laid it out myself but i carry it in case of injury i can give the rescue squad coordinates. on a full charge mine has around 3.5 to 4 hours runtime on battery. more than enough for a day in the woods if you get lost or need to relay a location.

16. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

If you have a cell phone and coverage, you have a gps.
    If you dont have one, get a whistle. People will come to a whistle quicker than gunshots. and you only have so much ammo.

17. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Someone is more likely to go the other way if they hear a gunshot. A whistle will have better chance of making someone curious. Plus a whistle can be used to signal rescuers.

18. 25-5

25-5 New Member

The Acme Thunderer whistle is at Amazon.

19. JonM

JonM Moderator

tradirionally the signal for distress was 3 shots paced across 6 seconds. in most places bears equate gunshots with deer/hog gut piles...

im netting you will get bears quicker than the rescue squad with gunshots.