Bear Polar ltd compound bow

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by deathkricket, Mar 11, 2014.

1. deathkricket

deathkricket New Member

Anyone know about the polar ltd bow, Due to markings I believe it is 60's, it is in good working order but it is missing the arrow rest and I don't know where to find one. If anyone here also can give me any general info I will be thankful since I don't know jack about bows.

2. big_blue79

big_blue79 New Member

I inherited my Father's Polar LTD, I don't remember how long they were made, he bought his new in the 70's, it was tuned by the #2 Archery Shooter in the USA at the time back in the 70's, don't recall his name, but he was at JC Penney's one time back in the 70's when JCP used to sell Guns and such. As far as arrow rest, I think a screw on one will work, if not you'll have to buy a stick on rest.

I also don't remember what poundage corresponds to the letters on the adjustable cams to set your draw weight, as I know they came with different numbers, I believe mine goes to 75 or 80lbs.

The Polar LTD has Laminated Wood Limbs, make sure to take it by an Archery Shop when you go to get a Rest and have them look it over for cracking and such, the last thing you'll want is to draw it back and have the bow shatter completely upon release. Also make sure to have the cams and string checked out, and it wouldn't hurt to see if they have the string for the bow.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014

3. deathkricket

deathkricket New Member

I gave it a very good look over and I already fired it off the arrow shelf which I may just keep using, the cables are in almost new condition but like you said, I still wana get it looked over, It has a string spool canister on it that looks to be from the factory so I am wondering if maybe it was made for bow fishing also. The lbs on the cams go from 40 to 65 and right now I have it set to 45 lbs. I plan on refinishing it and using it as a "plinker". I dont want to go to full power on the cams because of the age I think it may over stress it down the road. It wass made in Grayling Michigan so I belive the latest it can be made was like 78.

4. big_blue79

big_blue79 New Member

Make sure you keep the string waxed with Bow Wax as well, comes in a little tube like Chapstick, that'll keep it from fraying.

5. deathkricket

deathkricket New Member

Did not know that, I will have to pick some up tommorow when I swing by a bow shop, also is it ok to oil the cam etc?

6. big_blue79

big_blue79 New Member

I haven't oil mine, they still work fine, I haven't heard anything about needing to, I'd ask the shop tomorrow about that. I think it'd be like oiling a bolt assembly, it'd gather dirt and grit over time.

7. Hookeye

Hookeye Active Member

Old bows like that indeed are popular for bowfishing, since they are inexpensive and bowfishing can be rather tough on them. Metal cables with Dacron strings........pretty tough, but if the cables go you might as well dump it and get another.

The cost of a recable would be at least $60.........if somebody has new old stock or the old stuff to make new ones (there is a place in CA IIRC that makes cables for old bows, some having proprietary swages on the end).

If it checks good, shoot 'er til she blows (which may not happen for many years). Old bows, ya just never know. Heck, some new ones let go due to defects.

Currently shoot a recurve made in the early 80's and have bowfished with older recurves and compounds.

Enjoy it :)