Bear Killed By Pellet Gun

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Vikingdad, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Orangello should like this one....

Bear

2. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

how the heck could a pellet do that? like really? we hear of .44 mags not putting bears down sometimes. haha.. guess we should start packing pellet guns

3. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Must have been a pretty thin skinned bear...how would a pellet even penetrate the muscle on a bear?

4. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

It does say it was a cub.

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

if you live in a liberal hell hole you gotta follow the S's Shoot, Shovel, and Shut up.

6. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I actually think that shooting a cub in a tree with a pellet gun is cruel. It is unfortunate the bear died but the guy should not be facing criminal charges of any kind. I am not buying his "dog was in peril" defense but if it works for him I'm cool with it. That's what I think.

7. chlogeo

chlogeo New Member

This thread gives me pause and an extreme reaffirmation that not all should carry guns of any kind. To me it is akin to using kittens and puppies for target practice. And, I will go to jail for this but you all have my word that if I happen upon any of those ****holes they will be a head shot.

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

8. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I disagree in part because even a small bear can be a problem, but to shoot it with a pellet gun is wrong. Rock salt or maybe a bow and blunted arrow or a golf ball would do a better job without seriously injuring (or killing) the animal. Heck, hit the damned thing with your slingshot and its not gonna come after you (the momma bear might though).

Also, he wasn't shooting kittens and puppies. He apparently saw the bear cub as a credible threat (again, watch your 6. Momma bear will kill you for messing with her cub) which is understandable. A bear cub is a very large animal compared to a kitten or puppy and he was not "using (it) kittens and puppies for target practice."

This particular guy appears to have been educated on the stupidity of what he did. What more could you ask? Do you want him to do jail time? Or do you really think he should be killed for what he did? I don't. I value life more than that.

9. orangello

orangello New Member

Dead bear? That sounds like a good bear to me.

from the article previously cited.
    That is the problem, not some guy trying to run off an annoying/potentially dangerous or destructive wild animal. It is beyond hope that his government will gain the sense to eliminate the bear problem; i can only hope that his neighbors will learn to take care of the problem more quietly, perhaps by instead tossing the bear a carefully poisoned snack.

BTW, there was an idiot down the street from a shooting buddy of mine that killed himself with a Benjamin pellet rifle. I am told it only took the one shot, but i wasn't there.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  10. Georgiahunter

Georgiahunter New Member

Although I don't believe the guy should go to jail, I don't see why he couldn't have chucked a rock or baseball at the bear. Heck, if I was rummaging through a trash can and got hit in the back of the head by a rock/ baseball I wouldn't stick around to see if the guy would throw another one at me.

11. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

I think that may have been the intent. I certainly would never think that a pellet gun would kill a bear but a shot in the rump would get it moving along. There has to be more to this story than is being told.

12. Georgiahunter

Georgiahunter New Member

You are probably right about that, it seems the media can twist any thing around.

13. hogrider

hogrider New Member

Oregon natives hate the tree hugging Kalifornia transplants because that get dumb laws passed that end up people getting charged like this. At least that's what a friend of mine that lives there says.

14. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

Wow. I guess he caught it in the eye?

I don't know where else you could hit it with a .177 and have it do any damage,

15. orangello

orangello New Member

They really should share such need-to-know details with the bear-hating, pellet gun-owning public. :D

16. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

Bears should be taken seriously.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92Ue4z4HwdM&feature=related]Polite Bear Waves To Girl In Vehicle - YouTube[/ame]

17. orangello

orangello New Member

^^^ That would've been a helluva "drive by" video, if only she had had a saiga 12 guage with some slugs handy. ;)

18. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

I think you Sir (chlogeo) have taken complete leave of your senses!
    If read your post correctly you will shoot a fellow human being in the head for shooting an animal even one who shot a bear with a pellet gun and you're questioning if they should own a gun?!
    This sounds like felony threatening to me! I have to say you have given me a WTF moment with this one!!

19. CourtJester

CourtJester Well-Known Member

I would assume he had no idea a pellet gun would kill it. I'd pop one with a pellet gun to get it to go away and wouldn't think at all that it would kill one.

Whatever the case........ Nice shooting!!!!!

20. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Well-Known Member

The reality is the loose bear drank antifreeze?

loose bears are allot like loose dogs get into all sorts of trouble when wandering around diffrent yards and alleyways, my bet is if they check contents of bears stomach they'd find anti-freeze, after all its likely he imbibed in the exlier of death prior to getting shot by a pellet gun.

I dont think our 20yro construction worker had a .50cal air rifle.

Sam Yang Big Bore air rifles come in 9mm, .45 and .50 caliber air rifles that fire a 700+ grain lead projectile.

[ame=http://youtu.be/C_lDgBkPOV4]shooting with .45 and .50 calliber air rifles - YouTube[/ame] shooting the .45 & .50 Cal air rifles

[ame=http://youtu.be/KMiDaCdfVh8]Big Bore Airguns, Up To .50 Cal. (Updated) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://youtu.be/vwAaXnbuwXc]Bear, Buffalo, & Whitetail Hunting with airguns - YouTube[/ame]

Light weight .177 stuff is still evil in intent as you see the top 10
    [ame=http://youtu.be/cFTxbieKlrM]Top 10 airgun pellet - YouTube[/ame]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011