bear gryls machete

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by mountainman13, Sep 4, 2013.

1. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I've had this thing kicking around for a while. I may have even done a quick thread when I bought it.
    Anyway I put it through It's paces today and I Gotta say I'm impressed.
    I hit the woods and brought this instead of my usual tool of choice (tomahawk) and went up to my shelter. It had been completely devastated by the winter and needed to be completely rebuilt.
    The machete worked great. It cut through whatever I needed it to as easily if not better than the tomahawk. I would definitely recommend this machete to anyone looking for a good inexpensive option.
    I even stopped to have some fun when the work was done and I was impressed yet again.

Attached Files:

2. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

That's cool... I used to love throwing hawk... been a few years since I have.. think I might start again... the machete looks as though it performed like a hawk would fly... but hasne knife shape.. interesting.

3. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

It's not a hawk or Bowie by any means but the way it is curved just gives you so much surface area to hit that it works well.
    It was just sh!ts and giggles really.

4. Agent_H

Agent_H New Member

Master the art of the "Throwing Parang". I like the parang blade style. I'm curious if the shelter has a story?

5. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Nah just saves me the trouble of building one in the rain. 90% of the time I just use a wool blanket and or survival hammock.

6. aruiz42

aruiz42 New Member

Thanks for your post... Ended up buying one and going camping... Worked well for me... Thanks

7. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

My pleasure. Welcome to FTF. I love it. I took it out this weekend and abused it more. Still has a good edge on it and I still get a laugh out of throwing it.

8. Sparky_D

Sparky_D New Member

Quick question for you.

Is this the full size 25" or the compact 15"?

I'm looking at getting the compact to replace my Gerber Jr. Gator...

9. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

It's in my car at the moment so i cant measure but I'd have to guess the full size.

10. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Overall Length: 19.5’’
    Blade Length: 13.5’’
    Weight (with sheath): 25.4 oz.
    Weight (no sheath): 19.4 oz.

Should be full size.

11. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Yep that Sounds right.

12. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Improved machete.
    I was going to put a serated edge or saw edge on the back but I got tired of working on it.

Attached Files:

13. Agent_H

Agent_H New Member

That looks like a mean tool. I personally find it more appealing now without the hazard orange. The new edge looks like you could debark a tree swiftly too. Still comfortable to use with the cordage?

14. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

15. aruiz42

aruiz42 New Member

How'd you wrap the paracord around the handle? Pics or pointers?

16. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

You lay a loop along the handle and start wrapping at the cut off end (around the handle and over the loop). Wrap up the handle until you reach the loop end or the length you want wrapped (whichever comes first) and put the end of the cord through the loop. Pull both ends and cut off the excess.

17. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Maybe this will help.

Attached Files:

18. aruiz42

aruiz42 New Member