Beans and Cornbread. A Southern Staple.

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Dallas53, Oct 12, 2017 at 7:21 AM.

1. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

i grew up eating beans and cornbread. mainly pinto beans and butterbeans. always considered a cheap source of protein and a meat alternative for those who were too poor to afford much meat. it's one of those things i have always enjoyed for many years.

my grandmother cooked beans and cornbread all the time, and i think that later on in life it just became one of those things she never gave up, even though they could afford meat on a more regular basis than years before. but i loved my grandmother's beans. she would slow cook them on the stove, and usually would season them with some sugar, pepper and some pork fat back. when she cooked butter beans, she would usually use a ham bone for seasoning in them.

now her cornbread was amazing. she did the fried skillet method of making cornbread. made her cornbread mix from scratch, poured it into a heated skillet on the stove, and then finished cooking it in the oven. she would always put some sugar in her cornbread and it was so good that it and some butter in the middle was just so good.

my favorite beans were the slow cooked pinto beans, served with cornbread, some soft fried potatoes, collard greens cooked with some bacon grease and salt pork, some fresh sweet onion and a dash of Louisiana Hot Sauce! served with a huge glass of iced sweet tea. didn't really need any meat, but we usually had some pan fried pork shops or fried chicken to go with it. and sometimes she would make some fried okra to go along with it as well. and i live me some good fried okra! especially the way my grandmother made it.

for many years now, i have come to where i can afford to eat pretty much anything i want, but i still love some good beans and cornbread and always will. it's something that i grew up with and takes me back to my Southern roots. my wife growing up similar to the way i did, she too loves them, and she makes a pretty good batch of them.

so tell us your recipes or memories of eating good old Southern style cooking!

2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I grew up in the north. Balota and I can afford to eat anything we want. Right now we have a freezer full of meat. But we eat lots of beans and greens for health reasons.

big shrek, JimRau and Dallas53 like this.

3. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Oh hell yes, and I always do my cornbread in a cast iron skillet !...........
    slow-cooker-white-beans-with-ham-hocks-all-in-slow-cooker.jpg 1196949667_4b24053c8b.jpg

4. C.J.

C.J. New Member

I was born in the north. But daddy joined the Marines and we moved south. Then when he got out we moved further south. And eventually moved back up north.

Ive always hated beans in anything other than in chili. The texture always makes me want to vomet.

Open pit anything is wonderful (except beans) crawfish in craboil with corn and taters? Like heaven on earth. Gumbo, jumbqliah (sp?)

I could go on and on.

Dallas53 likes this.
  5. phideaux

phideaux Active Member Supporter

Dallas , try crumbled cornbread in a glass of cold buttermilk.:cool:

One of our staples when kids.

We rarely had any meat .

Jim

Bigcountry02, Dallas53 and ellis36 like this.
  6. winds-of-change

Me, too. Also biscuits.
    Oh, geeze. I can't drink buttermilk. Ewwwww............

big shrek and Dallas53 like this.
  7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Cornbread made in a HOT cast iron skillet, black eyed peas, taters-n-onions soft fried, greens (kale, creesy salad, turnip greens, mustard greens) and pork chops. Taught my English lady to love Southern cooking with that. Still the preferred Sunday dinner for our kids/ grandkids. Substitute fried chicken with chicken fried taters if you like. Really need a bit of fine diced onion and a splash of cider vinegar for the greens.

dayum- is it lunchtime yet? :p

8. ellis36

ellis36 Well-Known Member Supporter

Oh, yeah! That was one of my “going to bed” snacks. It wasn’t cold because we didn’t have ice…but still good!

We finished our salted down hams about February so we had no meat in summer except for a fryer on Sunday…until we ate them all. Fresh pork came after frost at hog-killing time. I didn’t even taste beef until I was about 15 years old. Didn’t care that much for it!

ellis

Dallas53 and phideaux like this.
  9. phideaux

phideaux Active Member Supporter

Dang....sounds like we grew up together in seperate houses.
    Man that sounds like home when I was a kid.

We had a icebox.:);)

Jim

ellis36 and Dallas53 like this.
  10. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

Cornbread (combread) with creamed corn inside

ellis36, Dallas53 and winds-of-change like this.
  11. winds-of-change

Ooooohhhh, yeah.

Dallas53 and SRK97 like this.
  12. Dallas53

my wife makes a Mexican Cornbread Casserole that she uses corn, cheese, ground beef and jalapenos in that is pretty good.

13. Dallas53

i tried that, but i just don't like buttermilk. i'll use it for cooking but not drinking!

14. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Balsamic vinegar for the greens !..................:)

Dallas53 likes this.
  15. Dallas53

my grandmother used a splash of cider vinegar in her greens IIRC. i'm not big on eating greens, but i loved how she made them.

16. Greg_r

Greg_r Active Member

Pinto beans and cornbread were a winter meal for us. Purple hulled field peas were more of a summer time meal.

Pawpaw grew a 3 acre field of beans every year. I still have fond memories of pea shelling!

Cornbread ain't cornbread iffin it ain't made in a cast iron pan. But no sugar please, I want bread. Not cake. And use lard, oil or shortening just don't cut it. A good cornbread needs nothing more than the meal, some buttermilk, lard, and a few eggs. Maybe some salt if you want. For mexican cornbread add corn and peppers.

My wife is from West "By Gawd" Virginia. She says I make corn pone, a word I never heard of until I started hanging out with hillbillies. She says pone is without sugar and bread is with sugar.

17. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

Baked Navy beans with a good chunk of salt pork and brown bread......yum!

big shrek and Dallas53 like this.
  18. ellis36

ellis36 Well-Known Member Supporter

We did, too. But we had ice in the summer only if someone decided to start selling ice on a route and stopped by. A 25 pound block would be 25 cents. We could have “Ice Tea” until it melted. Which didn’t take long because the icebox wasn’t cold to start with. Mother would wrap the block of ice with some towels in the icebox trying to keep it as long as possible.

ellis

phideaux and Dallas53 like this.
  19. Dallas53

purple hulled and black-eyed peas were very common for my grandmother to cook as well. she cooked them similar to the beans, with some fat back or salt pork and little salt and pepper was about it. served with cornbread as well.

we grew up liking a sweeter cornbread because of the way my grandmother made it. we would eat it with some butter and molasses by itself! it wasn't sweet like cake, but was sweeter than just regular cornbread.

my grandmother really only knew of two ways to cook a vegetable or meat, either boiled or fried! and for many years when we were younger and she cooked more for us, she used lard or bacon grease for cooking. she kept a coffee can on the stove that she would strain the bacon grease into after cooking. there is just a much better flavor to eggs cooked in bacon grease to me.

big shrek and phideaux like this.
  20. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

In my neck of the woods it was cornbread, white meal, fried in a skillet, with field peas. I don't think I ate Pintos until I went into the service. Better than just field peas was field peas mixed with okra.

My father, who graduated high-school the same year as the Great Depression started, thought hog-brains scrambled with eggs was a delicacy. I never developed a taste for it.

phideaux and Dallas53 like this.