Be Careful of Big Dawg Firearms

Discussion in 'Ohio Gun Forum' started by Mick3411, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Mick3411

Mick3411 New Member

This Dayton OH based company, owned by Michael Gilbert, is a complete sham. I purchased a membership based on advertised plans to build a range by this summer. They have now closed their doors, their website and facebook page.

The owner says tough luck and the range is just indefinitely delayed. I know I was stupid to trust them, but wanted to make sure folks arent conned like I was.

Todays email exchange"
    "On Monday, July 22, 2013, Big Dawg Firearms wrote:
    As explained to someone else an investor is entitled to that information. You bought a membership. A membership and investor are two different things.

Call it what you like, we did not "steal" your money.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 22, 2013, at 4:04 PM, Mick Hitchcock <mickh52@gmail.com> wrote:

So you are really going to steal my money? Your store is closed, your facebook page is closed, your email site is closed --> a little more than a "delay". I didnt buy a product, I paid for a service which isnt being provided as promised. That is very, very different than returning an item bought at what used to be your store.

I invested $175 and now you are saying too bad. If you arent going to give me the money, then give me an explicit ischedule of your plans for the range - where it will be located, when will it be finished and what will it of. As an investor do you not believe I am owed that much?

On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 3:59 PM, Big Dawg Firearms <bigdawgfns@gmail.com> wrote:
    A couple points to make here

1. Yes there was a delay with the range, but that does not conclude "not following through" on the agreement.

2. We have a clearly marked sign hanging up that there are No Refunds, No Returns, No Exchanges. We have not issues refunds to anyone for anything in the past, present or future.

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 22, 2013, at 1:25 PM, Mick Hitchcock <mickh52@gmail.com> wrote:

Mike

I would like a full refund of my range membership since you have not followed through with the agreement. Please get back to me as soon as possible

Mick Hitchcock

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

well that sucks! i'd be a little upset as well. not exactly a conjob, but i would say underhanded, dirty and very poor way od doing business.

i hope it works out for you. maybe take them to small claims court?

3. readygirl

readygirl New Member

If this is the place in Huber Hts (shopping center) , i was there in the spring, on one of my Dayton trips to visit my Brother. They had almost no inventory, no customer traffic, i was in there 2min, and knew they wouldnt be around long from the way the a55hat behind the counter talked to me like i was a retard right off the bat... Why would you deal with them anyway...? for that kind of money you could have a years membership at VRA, or Miami Valley Shooting Grounds. Both probably local to you, i have been to both and they seem like reputable, established funspots.....:)

4. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

Stuff Happens.

Now you get to decide whether it's worth it to pursue it any farther.

If you do, your future headaches could be cost you more in money and, of course.....headaches.

5. Mick3411

Mick3411 New Member

When I started going there they were very friendly and then they offered this fantastic membership package and I fell into a "too good to be true" situation. You are right, we are blessed with having many other options in our area.

Just wanted folks to be aware that this guy is trouble - he may try to reopen but doing busy with him is a risk (as I learned)

6. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

I live near that store and went in a couple times. They were very proud of there merchandise and wanted way too much for just about everything they had in stock. Miami Valley Shooting grounds and Spring Valley Nature Preserve are close by and very nicely kept.

7. Mick3411

Mick3411 New Member

Update on Big Dawg

Got a letter from Better Business Bureau and the company has ignored two request from the BBB to reply to my request. They gave them and Michael Gilbert an F rating. I may not get my money back, but I dont want him scamming any more people.

8. Axxe55

very good to hear. most likely, you won't get a refund, but if people do their research into them through the BBB, maybe it will cost him some business or hopefully bankrupt him. sorry to hear it happened in the first place.

9. Mick3411

Mick3411 New Member

Big Dawg Firearms reborn as Minotaur Firearms

Just wanted folks to know that the owner of Big Dawg Firearms, who ripped off multiple people in Dayton, has resurrected his business in Monroe OH.

Just be very cautious because there are many of us who regret ever having any dealings with Michael Gilbert.

Details: Minotaur Firearms & Supply, 17 American Way, Monroe

10. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

This calls for a Class Action Law suite. Contact your states Attorney Generals office. Contact the BATFE regarding the use of the FFL to promote a scam. The Better Business Bureau is a "Paper Tiger".:(

11. readygirl

readygirl New Member

Thanks for the heads up...sounds like he's moving my way.....LOL

12. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Picket his new store if you can swing it. If he offers to repay you if you will go away then perhaps consider saying "no" and continuing to picket. people deserve to know about dirtbags like that.

13. JSchaffer

JSchaffer New Member

Be careful where you tread

To whom is bashing MY company, this is Joni Schaffer and if you speak ill of the company I own in Monroe called Minotaur Firearms & Supply, which is considered slander considering my company has never had any dealing with you, you will be hearing from my attorney. Feel free to check the vendors license as well, I am the Owner. Do not mistake this because you are effecting MY business.

14. Axxe55

are you associated with Micheal Gilbert of Big Dawg Firearms?

is he associated or employed by your company?

15. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Just to clarify, do you have any association or dealings in any way, shape or form with Michael Gilbert? Does a Michael Gilbert have anything to do with the operation of Minotaur?

Just so you know, I do not have a dog in this fight, I just think it is fair to ask for that information.

16. JSchaffer

JSchaffer New Member

I am not associated in anyway with Big Dawg Firearms and never was. I purchased their inventory when they went out of business. I do not appreciate people bad mouthing MY company.

17. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Again, Just to clarify, do you have any association or dealings in any way, shape or form with Michael Gilbert? Does a Michael Gilbert have anything to do with the operation of Minotaur?

18. Axxe55

but is Micheal Gilbert in the employee of your company or in any way associated with your company?

19. JSchaffer

JSchaffer New Member

Secondly, from my understanding this was a father and son operation. The son was offered a position at my company yes. His knowledge of firearms and retail operations is very strong, will he have any say in purchasing, deals, sales, offers, etc no. This is once again MY company and I will be running it. If people cannot accept the fact that I own and operate this store and I employ who I choose, then you have a choice where you go. I do not know what went on at Big Dawg, do not care, because that is not MY company, Minotaur is. If people have an issue with the father or son, there are channels to handle that, but bashing another persons business is uncalled for.

20. JSchaffer

JSchaffer New Member

As well as people not familiar with Big Dawg, they are both Michael Gilbert, so maybe a clarification of WHOM is being discussed because that is just poor taste.