Be a Gunsmith I thought.......

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by saputoarms, Dec 15, 2013.

1. saputoarms

saputoarms New Member

Just want to rant a little, been at this for 3 months now, have a lot of public interest for me to do this, in the home stretch for my FFL. You know what I have been doing for 3 months?? READING READING READING!!! WRITING!! STUDYING!! And not just the reading of the Penn Foster class material the real gunsmiths laugh at. I have bought 6 books written from 1930-1960 on the subject. I practice filing and hardening metals and stoning, (not on real triggers that's insane and unsafe). I haven't shot or handled any more then I have before I started this quest. Ya know what?? I love this!!!

2. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

The tools a gunsmith has the most of is books.

3. sgthooah04

sgthooah04 New Member

Lol. I would have gone with files myself but ya lots and lots of books. Some of them for only 1 or 2 things in the book. Like a rust blue recipe lol

4. saputoarms

saputoarms New Member

I actually scored a nice bunch of Nicholson (old very old made in USA) from ebay. The woman is wondering how I can get excited by a file and how nice they work. I practice dovetailing on black pipe. I can see my niche as being an oldschooler wanting to do alot by hand. Probably aint gonna see much money, but you never know. I hate to see tradition and knowledge die. Kinda like my familys recipes. Now if I can find an experienced guy to apprentice for.........

5. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I would just buy a grinder that is designed to polish trigger parts. Not many profitable gunsmiths sit there all day with a file.