BCM Upper w/ Wolf Ammo?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Sm3lliot, Sep 17, 2014.

1. Sm3lliot

Sm3lliot New Member

My AR currently sports a BCM middy uppper with a BCM BCG, and I was wondering if any BCM owners have had good luck with the really cheap stuff. It's a high quality upper IMO, so I figure it should run it just fine.

Thanks for any input, have a good one.

Edit: Also, the rifle has been broken in. It's had a about 400 rounds of low-mid quality brass put through it (M193 ball, etc.)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  2. JonM

JonM Moderator

ive bought some for yote shooting and from moving electric 4 wheel because i didnt want to lose good brass. worked fine out of my bhf lightweight middy ive only fired about a hundred rounds of it but no problems.

3. AndyRexia

AndyRexia New Member

That upper should handle anything you feed it. It's the lower end brands you have to worry about. My Noveske handles steal case ammo just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

4. Sm3lliot

Sm3lliot New Member

Yeah, I figure the rifle'll do just fine. But it doesn't matter how high quality your build is, there will always be something out there the rifle doesnt like.

And I'd say that your Noveske is a touch higher quality than my BCM. You think the two are directly comparable?

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

i think bcm is a scootch ahead of noveske.

6. Sm3lliot

Sm3lliot New Member

How do you figure? I'm still relatively new to the industry, so there's still a ton I don't know. In my mind, BCM is about equal quality to the "big three" (LMT, colt, DD). I hold BCM in higher regard, however, because they do the same thing for less.

From what I had heard about Noveske, I always thought that they took it to that next level that even the really high quality manufacturers don't reach. Nothing necessary in mind you, but that extra little bump that made them stand out to me. Perhaps I'm completely off.

7. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Johns just a BCM fan boy ;) . Dot let anyone fool you Noveske is at the top of the list . Both are top notch companies but I would not put BCM over top of Noveske.

8. Sm3lliot

Sm3lliot New Member

Haha that's kind of the way that I thought, but everyone's entitled to an opinion. How do I know you're not just a Noveske fanboy? :D

Also, do you have any thoughts on the original question? I kinda shifted the thread off topic.

9. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I knew that was coming , LOL . I dont own a Noveske if that helps , I have shot a few rifles with Noveske uppers and quality/ accuracy wise top notch for sure . . Your rifle should run fine with what ever you put through it . dont expect to shoot dime sized groups @ 100 with cheap steel cased ammo its not going to happen . This is a 50/100 yard group with a 2 moa Aimpoint using 55 gr Tula out of 11.5" SBR with a Colt 1:9 barrel off a bench rest . It does not shoot that well out of my 1:7 barrels
    [​IMG]

10. AndyRexia

AndyRexia New Member

I'm a Noveske fan boy. No shame in admitting it. That being said, I've wanted a BCM for a while now. It's always been my opinion that top tier rifles come down to preference. People can debate it all day long but most people will ultimately buy what they like or prefer.

11. AndyRexia

AndyRexia New Member

You're probably right but I haven't find it yet.

12. Quentin

Quentin New Member

If you have BCM, DD, Colt or Noveske there's nothing to be ashamed of, you've done well. I have BCM, DD and PSA which all handle steelcase just fine. If I had to pick which one I like best I'd go with the DD upper because it's CHF and the others are button rifling. The BCM is tough as nails and the PSA with an FN barrel is impressive for the money.

13. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

I have an AR I built with a BCM blem upper and BCG, and the gun operates smooth as silk. I'll put that gun against anybody's AR carbine. I get stares all the time at the range. DD, Colt, and Noveske are all held in high regard in the AR shooting community. I don't know anything about LMT personally, but from what I have read from time to time, they don't rack up a lot of QC complaints, so they must be good.

14. okdonk

okdonk New Member

I love both BUT BCM customer service is way way much better than Noveske. Seriously!

15. JonM

JonM Moderator

once you get to a certain level of quality in a service type rifle throwing more money at it is kinda pointless and counter productive in some regards. thats why i rank noveske south of bcm. spending money just for labels.

for accuracy its hand picked parts or you go with a white oak or rra rifle

im hardly a fanboy. just bcm is the best bang for the buck atm when it comes to shtf type firearms.

16. Sm3lliot

Sm3lliot New Member

While I think everybody's entitled to their manufacturer of choice, (Noveske, Colt, DD, BCM, etc.) I couldn't agree more. That's why I gravitated towards BCM for my build. Cost was definitely a consideration and they did everything I wanted for less. It'll be interesting to see if they maintain their price point as time goes on.

17. Sm3lliot

Sm3lliot New Member

Funny, that's exactly how I put mine together: BCM BCG and a blem upper. So far I have the same sentiment, it operates damn well. Of the 400 rounds I've put through it, I've had one failure to go into battery, and I'm fairly certain I failed to seat the magazine properly. I'm definitely looking forward to running the hell out of it :D

18. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I own several different combos, from PSA, BCM, Spikes, Stag, Colt . There doesnt seem to be a lick of difference other than how you dress them up . Now I dont buy the cheap PTac stuff but my buddy has one and he is more than pleased with its accuracy . I prefer BCM and Spikes BCGs over the rest of them and Im not a fan of NIB coatings. I have had marginal experiences with it . Some good some bad , but not a good enough experience to say " Hey this stuff is the cats meow" . Stay with something that branded with quality and chances of ever having a problem will be slim. Everyone here is pretty up front and honest about their experiences with certain manufacturers products . I have a factory PSA rifle that I have had for 4 years that's now had over 10,000 rds through it and its ran pretty much flawless other than just general maintenance like, extractor / spring replacement and gas ring replacement. Oh and a few old mil surplus beat up magazines that wouldn't feed but that's not the rifles fault . Buy quality stuff and don't look back , have no regrets in your quality purchase and it will probably out live most of us .

19. Sm3lliot

Sm3lliot New Member

Amen.
    Thanks for the input man. I'm young and dumb so it's always appreciated.

20. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I've worked with some LMT's. They're great, and the cost is indicative of that. I'd never scoff at an LMT product. But in my opinion DD, BCM, or PSA (with PSA, we're talking about FN versions) are on par for less dollars.

My six ARs are essentially three BCM, two PSA, and one DD. So maybe I'm biased. Or maybe I just chose what my experience told me was the best rifle for my tastes and budget. I would honestly rank a carefully selected PSA (FN/CHF) on par with similar BCM, DD, LMT...and above Colt (no ML option). But it's important to have a good comprehension of the parts and potential build scheme when it comes to PSA. If you know your stuff, you can get a first rate product at the third rate price.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014