BCM 16' mid length....CHF or standard?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by plo41510, Jul 10, 2014.

1. plo41510

plo41510 New Member

Is the price difference ($80) really that noticeable? I'm just a weekend warrior who is working on a 2nd build. I'm stepping up this build over my 1st one.

I keep hearing that its just a fad that caught on here in America and SLIGHTLY increases life and accuracy.

Anyone own one? Inout?

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

my main ar15 is that very one bcm midlength lightweight chf.

the chf barrels are VERY accurate on par or better than most stainless barrels.

the barrel and bcg are the heart and sole of the ar15 you can skimp on a lot so long as those two parts are quality.

my wife has the non chf bcm barrel and mine out shoots hers same ammo same optic by about a half moa

you will wear out at least two bolts before the barrel goes. so for a typical civilian shooter a lifetime easily.

do i recomend it?? yes. is it worth it?? to me it is. to you?? that i cant help with

my other cold hammer forged is a scar17 and its a half moa gun all day long

3. plo41510

plo41510 New Member

My 1st build is as follows:

Spikes lower
    PSA lpk
    Spikes m16 bcg
    Stag arms 4140 chrome moly 1/9 carbine 16'

So from what i've been reading and been getting comments, i would see a good increase in accuracy just getting the standard BCM barrel.
    BTW i already have a Fail Zero Nickel Boron bcg ready to go along with a spikes enhanced lpk

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

personal i would go with a bcm barrel and bcm bcg. the fail zero is pretty fail. mostly hype and shiny-shiny. the nickel boron stuff is mostly fad and doesnt do anything better than standard milspec phosphate. if you want something shiny get a rra chromed bcg at least the chrome does a decent job at ease of cleaning without flaking off

5. plo41510

plo41510 New Member

Do you have a nib bcg or are you going off hearsay?

6. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I went with a CHF Daniel Defense LW 16" midlength upper then a year later decided to build an almost identical AR. This time instead I used the non-BFH BCM LW 16" midlength. I like the DD slightly better and it's slightly more accurate. I don't know if it's because of the DD barrel in general or the hammer forging. I sometimes wonder if it would have made much difference going with the BFH BCM but honestly the standard button rifling is plenty good.

I'd say you can go either way, it's up to you. But I'd sure put that money toward hammer forging instead of the gimmicky NiB BCG. The phosphated BCM belongs in a BCM upper.

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

i do not own a nib nor will i. there was one passed around by a vendor with various members of the forum here. intent was to get it into as many hands as possible without cleaning and abuse the hell out of it to get it to fail. it didnt get past the second person before it failed miserably.

you might be able to dig the thread up in the searches. should be in the ar15 subforum.

i have seen no proof its better or even equal to chrome or phosphate

here is the link and X-Mark was the vendor

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/how-about-little-game-bcg-hot-potato-77131/

lesson is make sure the bcg is quality and the selling point isnt just shiny shiny. spikes rra bcm all work. nib puts hype in the forefront.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  8. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Either the Standard or BFH, you won't go wrong with either one. BCM is an outstanding company.
    Or as Quentin mentioned, DD CHF is another best barrels out there for less $ than BCM BFH.

9. plo41510

plo41510 New Member

Question- so should i put my spikes phosphate m16 bcg (currently in my 1st build) in my 2nd build?

10. plo41510

plo41510 New Member

BTW here are pics of my 1st build and me at the range just this past weekend. Also have a hi point 4595ts....

ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1405053902.313021.jpg
    ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1405053928.070072.jpg

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

While you can put an old bolt in a new barrel I would leave it with the old barrel and get a new one for the new barrel.

12. ctshooter

ctshooter New Member

When I ordered my BCM mid length I ordered it with the bcg. I have had zero issues with either, and would not hesitate to order more from BCM !

13. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I personally would buy a standard BCG , I have owned several NIB BCGs and they are slick but the cost isnt worth it to me . if its $10 more sure but its not worth any more than that . I have replaced all but one NIB BCG back to Spikes and PSA premiums . After a while and some sooner than others the coating does flake off after a while . Dont get me wrong its still slick but its a visual thing and looks like hell . I have had this happen in as little as 100 rds or less and then some go 1000+ without any flaking at all .
    BCM makes great stuff. I just dont think their BCGs are worth $180 over a Spikes for $129 . Personal opinion so lets not get butt hurt over it .

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  14. plo41510

plo41510 New Member

Appreaciate all the input!!!!! Keep em coming!!!! The more opinions the better.....

15. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I paid $99.95 for my AIM NiB, and have no complaints. But it isn't the $200+ variety...I'd choose BCM all day long if spending north of $150.

Many of the AIM and PSA phosphate BCGs that can be found for $100 are more than good enough for the most demanding shooters. Just pay attention to the materials used, especially with PSA.

Here's a BCG with a slick, easy to clean finish, non-blingy, the right materials, and affordable: STS Cerakoted M16 $129. Great product for the price. I have a couple and have built several rifles using them.

I like almost anything BCM. I have a few BCM and PSA rifles, and one DD. I only keep the rifles I truly love...so I believe in those companies. CHF is a worthy upgrade in my opinion.

I probably have a dozen BCGs at the moment (some sitting in plastic). All of mine are either BCM, PSA, DD, AIM, or STS. It's a part that's worth shopping carefully for in a build, and worth keep a spare or two around. It's essentially your AR's 'engine', and you can have a first rate drop-in replacement at the ready for just $100.

16. icallshotgun88

icallshotgun88 New Member

If you're going with a BCM product you aren't skimping...you're getting some of the best products out there...I know you know that.
    When it comes down to it, spending an additional $80 shouldn't be a question.
    If you want a budget build, look at PSA. They have great quality for a great price.
    But if you're paying for top quality parts, you might as well spend the $80 and get the CHF barrel. Even if it's only slightly better.
    Idk, that's just me. I buy BCM because I know it's some of the best stuff out there. And I have no problem spending a little but more for the best stuff they have.
    I'll have these guns for dozens of years, if not my whole life.
    I know I'd regret not spending the extra $80.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk