BCG wants to fall out??

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by TacticalGuy15, Aug 31, 2011.

1. TacticalGuy15

TacticalGuy15 New Member

I just purchaced a complete upper off an individual and i noticed that when you tip the upper to where the bolt is twards the ground the BCG want to fall out! Is this normal? I dont recall any of my others doing this but i cant remember.

2. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

That is normal but the Charging Handle should keep it from falling completely out if it is latched.

3. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

One other thing! Check the gas rings by visually inspecting them and by feel. Lastly pull the Bolt completely forward in the Carrier then set the Bolt Face flat on a flat surface. If the Bolt Carrier Falls Down on the Bolt by it's own weight you need new rings or it could have defective rings that need replaced. This can also effect how easy the Bolt Carrier Group wants to open very easily when held as you mentioned.

4. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

^^^^what he said but if it does fall out make sure that the gas key is properly installed and that the charging handle is intact. The notch at the end of the handle should secure the BCG in place.

5. TacticalGuy15

TacticalGuy15 New Member

Ok well i pulled it out and put the bolt down and it fell just by weight. I also went to take it apart and i noticed that it doesnt have the little cotter pin like all my others had. The hole is blocked off. Im confused. I attatched a pic of what im talking about.

Attached Files:

6. VitSports6

VitSports6 New Member

Its not blocked off, that is a different type of pin.

7. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Can you post pics from the top and the other side? Is there a firing pin?

8. TacticalGuy15

TacticalGuy15 New Member

Oh ok, im not familiar with this style of pin. How do you remove it?

Attached Files:

9. TacticalGuy15

TacticalGuy15 New Member

I got it apart. How are the gas rings supposed to look/feel?

Attached Files:

10. csaw44

csaw44 New Member

There should be a hole on the opposite side where you can use a small punch to push the pin out.

11. csaw44

csaw44 New Member

Not sure how the rings should look or feel but if the carrier slides down on the bolt I would replace the rings.

12. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

I am wondering whether the BCG is a full auto set up. The fully shrouded firing pin and the length of the underside lug look like a full auto.

[​IMG]

The cotter pin has been replaced with a perma pin or is a vintage BCG, any idea of the upper's history?

[​IMG]

13. TacticalGuy15

TacticalGuy15 New Member

The guy i bought it from said he built it. He didnt really go into details or anything. If it is a full auto BCG is that gonna hurt anything?

14. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Not at all...just a little heavier but more durable.

15. TacticalGuy15

TacticalGuy15 New Member

Well thats always a plus!