BCG questions

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by fa35jsf, Apr 19, 2013.

1. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

Working on my first AR-15 build. I have a few questions I want to throw out here.

1) How much should a good M16 Bolt Carrier Group cost for 5.56? I am not needing anything super fancy, just a standard mil-spec quality, nothing too expensive.

2) Is the nickel plated or chrome plated ones really any better?

3) Is there any brands to AVOID? - has anyone used West Fork Armory?

4) Does anyone know where to find them in stock online?

2. bige91603

bige91603 New Member

Well the coating depends on what you're going to use the rifle for. If it is just a plinker or range gun then a phosphate coated carrier should be just fine. If you check out cbarms.com they have them in stock. Not the greatest price but not horrible

3. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Disclosure: I'm still an AR novice.

Last I looked, $130 on up depending on brand & finish.
    All other things being equal and using my own money I think that a Hard Chrome finish should be about as exotic as most people will really need, opinions vary of course. IMHO, it makes them a bit easier to clean.
    No idea about West Fork Armory.
    I haven't been searching very hard, but Most AR parts are still very rare.

4. Quentin

Quentin New Member

PSA has M16 BCGs pop up occasionally. I ordered one last week for $180, a decent price lately. (Haven't received it yet so can't comment on quality.) I've never bought fancy coatings but my milspec BCGs from BCM (2) and Daniel Defense (1) have functioned well while cleaning hasn't been difficult.

As usual it's hit or miss finding a good BCG, IMO BCM is the best. I'd get on email notification lists and check often.

5. bige91603

bige91603 New Member

I would say go with a PSA if you happen to find one in stock

6. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

The west fork armory bcgs are R guns and are made by a reputable manufacturer , not R guns . $180 is about the going rate . I own a few of these and there has not been any issues

7. kbd512

kbd512 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

1. Shop around. A mil-spec BCG is a mil-spec BCG.

2. Nickel Boron and Chromium platings make clean-up easier. Running AR's dry is not a good idea. If regular reapplication of light oil lubricants irritate you, use a high temperature grease.

3. Avoid brands that have poor customer service. Anyone can get on a forum and blather about how Brand X is better or worse than Brand Y. All that matters is that your BCG works for you. The only way you can know that is to run it.

4. Google is your friend. If you absolutely have to have a BCG, try GunBroker, GunsAmerica, GunAuction, ArmsList, etc. Expect to pay premium prices.

In another few months, AR parts are gonna pop up everywhere after the missus makes her boyfriend/fiancee/husband get rid of all that junk he bought because of the non-existent gun ban to pay for Christmas presents.

8. firemonkey150

firemonkey150 New Member

BCM is good. Don't think they're in stock though. Their Auto bolt carriers were a few days ago, which is honestly the same thing, just a tad bit heavier.

9. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

I'd stay away from Midway's Stoner line of bcgs.

I've had bad luck with BRO Black Rain Ordinance Nickel Boron BCG. There's a thread on it, started by X-mark. I will say tho that take it at face value. That was a sample size of 1, so it may have been just plain dumb bad luck.

I've used PSA, Spike's, Daniel Defense, Rock River Arms SA, Ranier Arm's Thunderbolt and BCM with zero problems. Thousands of rounds each, and only have replaced gas rings.

I do have an LMT and a Young's NM, but only put about 100 rounds through them so far.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  10. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

In the old days (a few months ago), you could find a Spike's M16 BCG for $120 or BCM for $150...but you had to be quick. And those values were impossible to beat. I have a funny feeling those prices will increase at least a little on a permanent basis. If you can find either for under $200, you're doing just fine in my mind. The Spike's is probably every bit as good as the BCM, but BCM enjoys a greater coolness and desireability factor.

I have mixed feelings about NiB. Might be great, cost is high, sounds funny when cycling. When I want a finer finish on a BCG, I'm pretty happy with my experience with Cerakote. You can find the Microslicked STS Arms M16 BCGs for $185-230, and I think they're a solid buy. Have them in two of my rifles. Slick as snot, super smooth actions, well-staked, zero complaints. I've seen them going for $175 opening bid, $200 Buy it Now on GunBroker (just search 'ceramic BCG').

You can also get the STS Cerakotes here for $225 + $6 s&h. That's up about $35 from where they were 3 months ago, but everyone's prices have jumped on BCGs due to severe supply/demand issues that were actually already strained before the recent fiasco. This a product I would recommend to anyone hurting for a higher end BCG for under $250.

I'm very much if favor of buying quality when it comes to BCG. Probably the next most important part after your barrel. All of mine are M16s. Mine include BCM (3), DD (1), Spike's (1), and the STS Microslick (3). All excellent.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  11. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

Thanks Sweeper, I picked one of those up. Now just hunting a charging handle which shouldn't be too hard to find

12. firemonkey150

firemonkey150 New Member

Go with a steel one. I've had a couple aluminum ones get sliced almost I half with a heavier BCG. Just my experience anyways. BCM's gun fighters are great

13. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

WWHHHAAAAATTTTT?:eek::eek::eek::eek:

How is that even possible???

14. bargeahead

bargeahead New Member

DSArms offers a quality, actual M-16 grade BCG that is BN coated. Rough looking at first glance but then ARs do like to be well lubed.

We know a sponsered comp' shooter for them and word from him is DSArms supplies to Spikes and others.

Again, Google and research, research, research.

From a dealer perspective I see many things AR coming back re availability and at more reasonable prices.

Good luck.

15. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

Thanks bargeahead but I just bought one earlier today. paid $230 i think

16. Quentin

Quentin New Member

He's just saying a cheap charging handle won't stand up to extended hard use. A lot of folks like the BCM Gunfighter, I have two myself. High quality product.

17. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

How much hard use should a CH really be getting unless you get a bunch of FTF all the time ? My CHS usually get one use maybe 2 uses per outting. I can't say I have ever seen a steel charging handle . The bolt release should be getting all the use . Just saying if your having to rip on the CH all the time you got a bigger problem than a broken, over used CH

18. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

Alright, here's a question. What is the mil-spec for a CH?

19. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Pretty much your basic $20 no-frills CH.

Just drop $40 on a BCM GunFighter and be done with it. I did that on a build once, and now all of my rifles seem to wear them. Mostly Mod 4 (medium), although I've also got one large, one of the new ambi GunFighters, and one Ranier Arms Raptor. All are excellent.

It's an affordable and functional upgrade in my mind.

20. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

I understand I was just asking what type of materiel is mil-spec