BB rifle question .

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by dango, Oct 25, 2017.

1. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Active Member

dango likes this.
  2. sheriffjohn

I had a daisy "eagle" - complete with plastic "scope". 55 years later, I still have the plastic scope and pieces of the bb gun. Tried to "fix" it as only a 12-year-old can do.

dango likes this.

3. phideaux

phideaux Active Member Supporter

I've taken more small game with these than I have with standard powder rounds.

I learned the hard way .. not to clean the bores.

These are as accurate as any rifle out to 50 yards , (the pistol 25 yrds) with the proper pellets.

air guns.jpg
    [​IMG]

Jim

dango, AZdave and MisterMcCool like this.
  4. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Well-Known Member

With enough practice you can get good with a daisy red ryder, I eventually found that those sights are pretty much barrel ornaments. :D

At 20+ years that old BB gun wont cast BB's to hit POA anyway, they arc as bad as a garden hose running a stream of water.
    "If you can hit it with a garden hose you can hit it with a Daisy"

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    dango and MisterMcCool like this.
  5. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Well-Known Member

One the worst BB guns was a Marksman pistol that fires BB's, pellets and darts.
    Its two inch long tip-up barrel has pretty sloppy tolerances, so it floats all over the place, the darn things never hit the same place twice in a row.
    One example of this was a apple box in my living room sitting 8 feet away from.a steady rest, aiming inside the circle of the first P on the word apple and shot . . . .only to completely miss the box!
    Of 10 shots, 3 hit the Box and only one BB struck within 7 inches of Point Of Aim!
    Ive had it appart in an attempt to affix the barrel solidly in the plastic tip-up and shim to to remove the wobble, So far my best showing, Off the rest was to get a 18 inch pattern at 6 feet.

A few years back Id bought a yard-sale Daisy PowerLine Model 35.
    I was using it to keep pest birds from messing with produce while at work.
    I noticed its problems with producing BB patterns, it was out of the question to expect it to produce a group, the particular one I had couldnt hit a paper pcinic plate at 20 feet. Fact was in the winter I could see the BB's hitting over 4 feet from point of aim! :eek:
    What was worse was the drop in pressure, it eventually became a BB-Gun Objet d'art
    I dont think It was this bad out of the box, but it definately didnt hold up to any real use, even with it serviced as per the PDF Id down loaded off the internet.
    When selecting a particular type use Google and check the performance reviews folks post about a particular model and brand, and then check the negative reviews for more details. Sometimes they can have 4 stars but checking the negative reviews, Can you really get the lowdown on a product! :oops:

The main causes of inaccurate airguns
    https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2005/09/the-main-causes-of-inaccurate-airguns/

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    dango likes this.
  6. tinbucket

tinbucket Well-Known Member

Th Daisy BB guns that had a slide action coking system can be modified for more velocity. How much more I don't know.
    Cousin still has a lead bb in left ear lobe from one of those guns.
    He took the recoil spring from a Browning A5 I think shotgun, and substituted it or the stock spring in the Daisy.
    I have been search or one or a long time. Invariably the ones I find are cobbled together, with missing pieces etc.
    Accuracy is better with that gun and I I'm right the early ones used a bb of shotgun bb size and lead. It is a bit smaller than the copper plated and now zinc plated bb shot.

dango and sheriffjohn like this.
  7. sheriffjohn

You are correct that the first BB's were lead shot. Steel BB's were discovered by Daisy when a number of BB guns were returned for repair with steel ball bearings stuck inside the barrels. All were from the same place, where a factory produced ball bearings. Boys could go through the trash and find steel ball bearings to shoot in their BB guns by trial and error. Cass Hough's crew tracked this down and found the steel ball bearings shot faster than lead shot, and thus, the steel BB's were born. It's in a book I have on Daisy BB guns.

dango, tinbucket and Dallas53 like this.
  8. sheriffjohn

BTW - I have a couple of tubes of original lead BB's and tried them out . They definitely do not shoot as far as steel but seem to hit harder (at least on my beer cans).

dango and tinbucket like this.
  9. Mongo

Mongo Well-Known Member Supporter

I have tried several Daisey BB guns (rifles). The one I have now is a model: Powerline 850. It is very accurate compared to the ones I tried before. Rifled barrel and one stroke pump. It's a keeper. I shoot bb's and pellets. I put airgun oil on a Q-tip and push a couple through. No solvents. Seems to continue shooting straight to about 50'.
    I also have a Chinese .22 pellet rifle. I don't shoot it much but I'm surprised at the accuracy. .22 Pellets only.
    My biggest disappointment: Gamo Big Cat 1200. Tried two other air rifle scopes after the factory original scope was inconsistent. I was shooting it inside a closed barn, bench rest 70' to the target. It was all over the place. Piece of junk IMHO.
    I'm thinking about a Benjamin .22. I would have to test fire before I buy any other air rifle.

dango and tinbucket like this.
  10. tinbucket

tinbucket Well-Known Member

scopes don't like airguns unless built or them. Opposite of recoil effect.
    Benjamins are good guns. I have a Sheridan Silver Streak and a few .20 Sheridan hunting pellets. Heavier and harder at the tip and straight contour with belt at the end to engage rifiling.
    They will shoot through a 1in pine board. The pellets after Sheridan as sold are no where near as good.
    It will only accept 8 strokes. Valves and springs were available to make it perform with 10 pumps as the older guns would. 840 fps with the heavy hunting pellet and bit more with the lighter target pellets of which I have 1 box left. I put one pump of air in, it as recommended when I last shot it years ago until last year when I shot it again.
    It still had the pressure.
    Wood stock the oil aged out of the finish, on the walnut stock. Thinking of refinishing it and removing any tool marks in the wood from 1970swhen it was produced.

dango and sheriffjohn like this.
  11. sheriffjohn

Amen to the quality of the Sheridans. I still have three rifles and one pistol. The .20 caliber works great on squirrels and rabbits. I had two that were surplus from a prison in Illinois where they were used to kill feral cats. Sheridan used to sell what they called an "intermount" that allowed use of one of the old-fashioned .22 scopes. Their CO2 model worked very well, too. Good stuff back "in the day".

dango, AZdave and tinbucket like this.