Firearms Talk banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that the Mossberg 590 that I know of, is the only boomstick that has the bayonet attachment, but really what is the point of it? (except for zombie Apocalypse :rolleyes:). The only thing I think of is that it looks intimidating.

Anyone's take?

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
I have never seen a bayonet on a shotgun in my life, i see no use for one.

Its like putting a knife on a 1911

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Might just be a carryover from a mil-spec requirement that all longarms accept a bayonet...sorta like the landyard loop on a handgun.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just asked the same question to a friend who came back from overseas. The main purpose he states would be if you run out of ammo your shotgun can be used as a polearm in close quarters. That would make more sense.

·
Premium Member
20,098 Posts
A longarm without a bayonet after the ammo is gone is a club thats hard to use. A longarm with a bayonet after the ammo is gone is a spear thats easy to use.

Out of date?? not by long shot. Its no more out of date than putting a machine gun on the F22 Raptor...

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
When I was in the MP's, our Winchester pump shotguns were equipped with bayonet lugs for riot control.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Kinda cool but should be longer
See it has a coolness factor. For riot control I can understand too for intimidation. I wouldn't want to be poked with that.

·
Administrator
26,303 Posts
For military purposes- Winchester 97 Trench Gun, with 16 inch bayonet. Few things can say STOP RIGHT THERE quite as loudly.

winchester 97.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
518 Posts
they make the adapters for a lot of guns 500 870 winchester. and i see a lot of universal mounts

·
Registered
19,141 Posts
If i were hog hunting with my Mossberg, i would be glad to have a bayonet for company. It might also be nice for those people in Alaska who carry shotguns for bears; who hasn't wanted to "poke the bear".

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
In close combat I could see it stopping someone from grabbing the end of your barrel. Who wants to grab a sharp bayonet by the blade?

·
Banned
3,611 Posts
They're just cool. And intimidating, yes. Research shows more intimidating than a gun -- people have a subliminal fear of being poked and cut. Shot is psychologically more an "either it's gonna happen or not" thing.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I know that the Mossberg 590 that I know of, is the only boomstick that has the bayonet attachment, but really what is the point of it? (except for zombie Apocalypse :rolleyes:). The only thing I think of is that it looks intimidating.

Anyone's take?
well when you dress up in camo and blouse your pants and hang at the range shooting buckshot at 25 yd sillouets you look cool. and if the zombies or apocalypse comes your ready if you have a rail a good 10,000 candle power light,a laser mounted and a good high point pistol on your side

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
They're just cool. And intimidating, yes. Research shows more intimidating than a gun -- people have a subliminal fear of being poked and cut. Shot is psychologically more an "either it's gonna happen or not" thing.
Subliminal my azz...it's 100% liminal. I don't want anybody shoving 12" of steel in any part of me. Emphasis added to stay out of the Freudian thread...:D

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
When I was in the MP's, our Winchester pump shotguns were equipped with bayonet lugs for riot control.
Wow, riot control with a bayonet! I dont think I would want to be on either end of that.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts