Bayonet on a shotgun, is it really practical?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by HunterMarksman338, Jul 30, 2012.

1. HunterMarksman338

HunterMarksman338 New Member

I know that the Mossberg 590 that I know of, is the only boomstick that has the bayonet attachment, but really what is the point of it? (except for zombie Apocalypse :rolleyes:). The only thing I think of is that it looks intimidating.

Anyone's take?

2. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I have never seen a bayonet on a shotgun in my life, i see no use for one.

Its like putting a knife on a 1911

3. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Might just be a carryover from a mil-spec requirement that all longarms accept a bayonet...sorta like the landyard loop on a handgun.

4. HunterMarksman338

I just asked the same question to a friend who came back from overseas. The main purpose he states would be if you run out of ammo your shotgun can be used as a polearm in close quarters. That would make more sense.

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

A longarm without a bayonet after the ammo is gone is a club thats hard to use. A longarm with a bayonet after the ammo is gone is a spear thats easy to use.

Out of date?? not by long shot. Its no more out of date than putting a machine gun on the F22 Raptor...

6. Badshot320

Badshot320 New Member

Would come in handy for refilling the hummingbird feeders. I swear those things know when you fire your last round!:p

Badshot

7. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

My Winchester Model 12 has a bayonet.............

8. BRAD313

BRAD313 New Member

Kinda cool but should be longer

Attached Files:

9. Donn

Donn Active Member

When I was in the MP's, our Winchester pump shotguns were equipped with bayonet lugs for riot control.

10. HunterMarksman338

See it has a coolness factor. For riot control I can understand too for intimidation. I wouldn't want to be poked with that.

11. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

For military purposes- Winchester 97 Trench Gun, with 16 inch bayonet. Few things can say STOP RIGHT THERE quite as loudly.

winchester 97.jpg

12. BRAD313

BRAD313 New Member

Ya I like the 16"

13. HunterMarksman338

Whoa I would be concerned about the shot hitting the tip the knife.

14. Buckethead47

Buckethead47 New Member

they make the adapters for a lot of guns 500 870 winchester. and i see a lot of universal mounts

15. orangello

orangello New Member

If i were hog hunting with my Mossberg, i would be glad to have a bayonet for company. It might also be nice for those people in Alaska who carry shotguns for bears; who hasn't wanted to "poke the bear".

16. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

In close combat I could see it stopping someone from grabbing the end of your barrel. Who wants to grab a sharp bayonet by the blade?

17. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

They're just cool. And intimidating, yes. Research shows more intimidating than a gun -- people have a subliminal fear of being poked and cut. Shot is psychologically more an "either it's gonna happen or not" thing.

18. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

well when you dress up in camo and blouse your pants and hang at the range shooting buckshot at 25 yd sillouets you look cool. and if the zombies or apocalypse comes your ready if you have a rail a good 10,000 candle power light,a laser mounted and a good high point pistol on your side

19. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Subliminal my azz...it's 100% liminal. I don't want anybody shoving 12" of steel in any part of me. Emphasis added to stay out of the Freudian thread...:D

20. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Wow, riot control with a bayonet! I dont think I would want to be on either end of that.