Battle rifle

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by TooStrongTerry, Jun 14, 2012.

1. TooStrongTerry

TooStrongTerry New Member

Do I really have to spend 800-1000 for a decent gun for SHTF. Invasion/Zombies/Whatever like WTH. I keep trying to save but keep buying cheaper NON-BR guns. Any help?!

2. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

Pm c3shooter, hossfly and some of the veterans of this forum. They will have your answer

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

you can thank the dynamic duo bush/obama but thats the way things are today prices are way up on everything.
    there is some truth to buy quality cry once.
    ive found that with firearms and addons buying cheap as in quality you end up buying a couple more times and spend far more than just getting something decent in the first place

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Same here buddy. Been trying to save for like 3 years. My current AR fund has $0 in it.

5. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Every time you get a $5 bill, put it in an envelope marked BR. Do not take any money out.
    Put all your change in a jar marked BR every time you get change. Do not spend any change.
    You have to be dedicated on this. You can not spend that money on anything but a battle rifle no matter how tempted you are. If you spend it on something else you are a wimp and dont deserve a battle rifle.
    What do you consider a battle rifle? You can get a Mini 14 for under $650 otd. Same with an AK.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  6. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Prices on AR's went through the roof 3 months before Clinton took office. A good AR was a 1000.00 rifle.

7. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

It all depends on what you're looking for. There are a lot of cheaper bolt action rifles that are technically battle rifles. There are also semi-auto carbines (assault rifles) like the SKS that you can find for much less. Again, it just depends on what you're looking for.

8. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I bought my SKS for $250 if I remember correctly. I have bought a lot of guns over the years.

9. tiberius10721

tiberius10721 New Member

You can buy a brand new 12 guage pump shotgun for a few hundred dollars at a gun store or big 5. For fighting zombies a shotgun is the weapon of choice especially on my sons xbox 360.:D seriously though I cant think of any self defense scenario at my home that I couldnt solve with my shotgun. I own a AR 15 but it would not be my first choice in a self defense weapon. Cops and Highway patrolmen carry shotguns in their patrol cars For SHTF situations.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  10. TooStrongTerry

I've got 2 lol

11. TooStrongTerry

Hahagaha me too man.

I wish I could quote u all but I'm on my phone. How do u like the SKS? I had a WASR 10 and didn't really like it. Well I did but it felt extremely cheap and I sold it (kinda regret it now).

And I think JT said the 5 dollar thing...I put all my money in a savings that I have left over every week and something ALWAYS comestup when I have something decent. Maybe I should have the wife hold my BR envelope.

12. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I love the sks. Once I fixed it and modified the bolt. Still its no AR.

13. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Terry, u got a coupla very good shotuns there recently and they were a good value. Don't have buyers remorse. OK, next, a full-length AR. They're certainly good and cheap these days. Question is when to get it. Do u wait till the election almost when there won't be any? Till after and they may all be confiscated!?

14. TooStrongTerry

Yeah. I'm beginning to think I'm just gonna stick with my shotguns. If I have to result in traveling then I'm not gonna want to add TOO much more weight then what is in my bug out bag and the ammo for them...and my 22 and its ammo. 22 would be strictly for hunting. Shotgun would be for mainly saving my @$$

15. jismail

jismail Member

you can get a nice 30-30 lever gun for around 350 and it was the BR of choice for an entire era. Worked well then, still works now, i a can assure you the a zombie isnt gonna complaine about the lack of techno-cool as he is dropping to the ground.....

16. TooStrongTerry

Thought about that too...but scavenging that at the end of the world might be a problem (?) And stockpile 30-30 ammo is pricey as well. But all around great round. And they sell synthetic stocks for those right?

17. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

After the last election 223 was hard to come by and prices were about a dollar per round. Could get .30-30 for $12-15 per box and you could still find it on the shelves.

18. TooStrongTerry

Reaalllyyyy

19. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Same w/ Pistol calibers, .45LC was no where to be found, but .44-40 was easy to find for my 1892 Lever.