basic survival/emergency supplies

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by hawkguy, Jun 18, 2014.

1. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

ok, apologies...i'm sure this has been covered a bzillion times. why not a bzillion and one? :p

i want to get together a very basic emergency pack. initially, i am thinking for a two week period, as a short term type of emergency pack. eventually, i will work towards some more long term emergency supplies.

for now, just so i don't overlook anything obvious.....

could you please list me the top 10-20 items that will be most useful for such an emergency pack? it will just be to help me make sure i cover most of the basics for short term emergency supplies.

thanks!

2. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Keep a stash of whatever medications you regularly take. Rotate them whenever you get prescriptions filled.

no offense and none taken

3. lefty60

lefty60 New Member

The Mormons have some very extensive survival information available on line. They cover about everything from natural disasters on out.

No, I am not a Mormon. But they have some very good survival knowledge that is there for anyone to study.

4. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

Never knew that. I will check it out, thanks

LOL,on a side note when I first read it I thought you said MORONS.

Sent from a phone I can use to do my taxes, but can't make a damn call.

5. karateguy28

karateguy28 New Member

Just really quick off the top of my head (so I know I'm going to forget stuff), but things should include: bandages/gauze, rope, matches/lighter, lighter fluid, water, cutting tool, tape, medications (as previously mentioned), rubbing alcohol/peroxide...I know there's a bunch of other stuff, but this was just a quick off the top of my head list. Good luck.

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Water, food, shelter.

You can only pack so much water- weight and bulk. But you CAN pack a canteen (and canteen cup), and water purification tabs, or a water filter.

Food- again, bulk and weight. Freeze dried helps. Things like instant cocoa can pack a lot of calories.

Shelter- simple tube tent, space blanket, parachute cord.

Beyond that, items mentioned. A Leatherman or Swiss Army knife. Lighter AND waterproof matches. Candles. Flashlight.

Meds, basic first aid stuff, Immodium, sunscreen. Spare socks. Some cash. Mine has a mini AM-FM radio with earbud. Keychain OC pepper spray. Compass hooked to pack w/ lanyard. And this:

survival-kit-dr-strangelove-part-1-demotivational-poster-1268243110.jpg

7. yazul42

yazul42 Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I also have cordage and a sewing kit and safety pins in all of my kits,, I have several in vehicles, hunting pack, even one in the briefcase,, minus some certain hardware,,, great flick c3,,,,

8. TLuker

TLuker New Member

I apologize up front but I just over think things and I can't help it. So now I have a bunch of questions running through my head like what is the purpose of this bag? A get home bag or 72 hour bag is lite weight and it's purpose is to get you through a couple of days so that you can get home if you get caught out away from home. It's for a short period of time. A two week bag is entirely different. I'm not sure if you could carry enough stuff for two weeks so that means instead of supplies you need to be thinking tools. For example instead of canned food you would need some fishing line and hooks to catch fish. And where would you be going to and how long would it take to get there? What supplies would you have when you arrived at your location? Or is this more of an indefinite travel pack for whatever? :confused:

9. hawkguy

thanks for the input and good questions, tlurk.

to a degree, i'm not completely sure. my first instinct was not a grab and go bag (yet). i was just thinking of some all around things to keep around (probably in a tote or such) in case of emergency weather or any other major concern. some short term items, some maybe longer term items as well.

i have started with a good water filter. not sure where to go from there. eventually i think camping and fishing equipment, etc. (i haven't had either in years i'm sad to say).

sorry, i don't feel like i'm giving you much to go off of....:confused:

10. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 New Member

I have been drinking wine and watching Lone Survivor. All I have to add is a large caliber weapon and lots of ammo.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

11. Franklin1995

Franklin1995 New Member

-Water purification
    -Good knife (if you aren't a knife guy, I can help you out)
    -Lighter and flint/steel. You always want 2 sources of fire. Fire is essential to survival. You can boil water to purify it, keep warm with it, cook food with it, and signal for help with it, among other things.
    -Small set of pots. I've got a backpackers set that would be perfect.
    - Bandanna. There are so many uses for a bandanna, I can't even begin to list them all.
    - .22 rifle with a couple hundred rounds of ammo. SD as a last ditch effort, but more importantly food. .22 is so lightweight
    - Paracord. Kinda falls into the same boat as a bandanna with all the uses for it (if you need me to give you some, I'll be more than happy to, just let me know)
    - Fishing hooks (use with the paracord and a stick, you've got a decent fishing pole)
    - You could pack a handgun, but I would stick with a 9mm. And I would only bring 3 mags. Use that as your defense gun. You don't want lots of ammo though, because ammo weighs a lot! The key to survival is mobility. That's why I've never understood these people who stockpile ammo and say that they'll just stay in their house if SHTF...
    - Headlamp, preferably a solar chargeable one. Just be careful using it at night, because if SHTF that'll be a good indicator of where you are
    - Tarp, you can use it for shelter
    - Duct tape
    - Needle (no thread, you can strip the paracord if you need to sew something)

That's all I can think of right now. It also depends on where you are at. If you have specific medications, definitely bring those. Ibuprofen and some bandages are also good ideas. Like I said though, the key is to be light. There's no point in having a ton of stuff when you have to move 15 miles a day.

12. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

Like Tlurker said...it depends on where your going...My SHTF bag contains sunglasses / bikini / beach towel / tanning oil / flip flops / cash for booze.....If it gets bad here..i'm going to Ft Myers Beach......:D

13. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

here is question to ask yourself.

is this bag one you plan on keeping at the house, or carried in a vehicle?

and, is this bag one you plan on throwing in your vehicle to carry or on your person?

answering these two questions will help you determine it's weight and contents more accurately IMO.

14. Vincine

Vincine New Member

American Express card?

Just curious, instead or besides the fish hook & line, wouldn't some netting that you could rig to quickly lift out of a shallow area work to catch fish?

15. hawkguy

good question....wish i knew the answer...:p

honestly, i was thinking maybe both. but if that is unrealistic, i might have one for each. to start, i am thinking a box/tote that would remain in the house, but i suppose COULD be picked up and thrown in a trunk if need be?

i think i should just start with something in the house. able to moved, but doesn't have to be light. any suggestions for a get out bag welcome also, if y'all think the best idea is to have them separate.

thanks

16. R1D2

R1D2 New Member

I would add a flash light, spare batteries, a tin can (like a can of soup, so you have something to eat then you can put water in it to boil for drinking). Water purification tabs, first aid stuff, duct tape some wrap a little on somethin like a gift card, some T-P, spare socks, a compass, gloves, a fixed blad/ good knife, rope, zip ties, shelter stuff - you could use a poncho or a emergency shelter or tarp or a larg type trash bag, can opener of some sort, lighter and a back up fire starter lighters don't work well wet, tinder like drier lint, baby wipes, a machete or hatchet, a bible, powder with corn starch, throw in paper and a pen. Fishing stuff if ya want, you can find some "food rations" for emergency situations on ebay or get a MRE from a military type store, a signal mirror, bug spray is helpful till ya run out, those emergency candles at walmart that last like 9 hours, a throw blanket is nice to have if you want it, a good "pack" with some type of back support a soft book bag is not very helpful, ................. hope this helps. And test items in the field to get used to "roughing it" read survival tip books, search online.. knowledge is great, experiance is wonderful....

17. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

Well I have some experience with long outdoor treks. I was in the boy scouts and took two 100+ mile 10 day treks at Philmont Scout ranch in New Mexico. It is a roughly 300,000 acre ranch of pure wilderness. Just amazing. During those treks we had to carry everything on our backs. It is important to note that we WERE resupplied with food 2 or 3 times throughout that trek. The food was NOT dehydrated but rather just off the shelf type of food stuffs. Unless we had dehydrated food I don't think we could have carried enough for the whole trek by ourselves.

The third trip I took was canoeing through the Canadian lakes in the wilderness north of Minnesota. Think thousands of lakes surrounded by mountains and nothing but nature. The Canadian government prohibits any sort of building in this area. For that trek we HAD to carry enough food for the whole 10 days because resupply was not an option. Now we were canoeing so the only time we had to carry our packs on our back was when we were "portaging" from one lake to another and I think the longest was maybe 3 or 4 miles. Those "portages" sucked; 60 pounds on your back plus a canoe one your head and mosquitoes so think it was hard to see the trail (at least that's how it felt). At the end of that trip we actually had several days worth of food left over. This was because I spent a few hours each day catching fish and we would supplement about a dozen good size fish into dinner.

However, about half way through the trip we ran out of vegetable oil to fry the fish in and coffee. Things were looking bleak and attitudes in camp were becoming somewhat hostile. Then came the only other crew we had seen the entire time, floating down the lake. We waved them over and proceeded to barter. To our luck they had plenty of vegetable oil and nobody on their crew drank coffee (weirdos) and so we traded them some nasty trail mix stuff that they wanted for what we wanted. Worked out for everyone.

OK, hopefully you're still with me now that stories are out of the way. Here is a few lessons I have learned over my trips:
    1) I have serious doubts that a single person can carry everything they think they need for an extended period of time by themselves. I was always in a group of 10 to 15 people. Everyone doesn't need a pot, or cleaning supplies, or a first aid kit, or a water filter, etc. By taking just 2 or 3 of those things per group it will lighten the load dramatically. However, when you are by yourself, then you have to take all of that and you won't have any backups in-case something breaks. That being said, a single person WILL HAVE TO SACRIFICE on what they think is necessary and find ways of doing without.

2) You DO NOT need a tent. Trust me on this one. It is extra weight, a pain to set up, takes up room in the pack that could be used for food, and it is an obstruction should you have to move quickly. Instead, get yourself a lightweight camo tarp, or even better look for a hammock made of parachute material or buy some parachute material. Parachute material is extremely lightweight and mostly water proof. With it you can make whatever type of shelter you could want.

3) Water is heavy!!! Carry as little as possible, taking into account how available water is in your environment. Buy a good quality pump type water filter and take chemical tablets as backup. Getting sick off bad water will only require you to drink more water, and it really sucks. Trust me, I've been there, and you don't want to be there when the closest thing resembling medical help is two hours away; or worse not there at all.

4) THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT STEP!!! You must tryout your setup. You must strap on your boots to work them in, grab your bag, and get out there. Start small with an hour walk around the park, adjust weight and pack-straps from there. Eventually you need to take some multi-day excursions with your pack so you can not only get use to it but also see what you really need. If after a 3 day weekend on the trail you realize you never used or had the slightest need for that fancy dooda gadget thingamabob, then chuck it out of your pack.

Hope this helps, and sorry again for the long answer, I have a bad tendency of doing that. :eek:

18. hawkguy

excellent input, thank you!

19. Franklin1995

Franklin1995 New Member

I went to Philmont as well, but never made it to Northern Tier. Philmont is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been, and I hope that I get the chance to go back someday.

Really solid advice you gave there

20. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

Philmont was simply amazing, although it had its fair share of challenges. But all that pales in my mind to Northern Tier on the Canadian side. That scenery is forever burned into the back of my head. Never have I been on a lake that the water was so clear you could see down 75 feet. And yes it was an actual 75 feet, we had a very sophisticated measuring device provided for us by the Canadian government.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk