Barska Scopes??

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by NeonLeon, Jan 6, 2011.

1. NeonLeon

NeonLeon New Member

Has anyone ever used a Barska scope? I don't know much about scopes ... what makes a good one and what makes a bad one .....

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

A Barska scope is a fairly low buck scope and you get what you pay for. I have a Barska 3-9x40 on my 10/22 and it's fine. But, I wouldn't use a Barska for much else though.

What are you going to mount it on?

3. NeonLeon

NeonLeon New Member

I'm looking for something to put on my S&W MP 15-22 that will let me plink at 100 yards or so.

Being the rookie that I am ... what kind of rings/mount would I need for a 1" tube on an S&W 15/22?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  4. powg

powg New Member

barska

junk ........

5. fpdsniper

fpdsniper New Member

Yep, spend a little more and get something of good quality. I just finished up our Sightron scopes page. These are some of the best quality for the money optics out there. Take a look: Sightron Scopes

Donnie

6. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

I have a Barska Spotting Scope "Colorado", it is big and need to upgrade the tripod one of these days.

I was going to get a Barska for my S&W MP 15-22; but, purchased a Simmons scope. Optics is good; but, last time the temps dropped, the scope fog pretty bad. Funny thing, with the fogging, was hitting on target at 50 and 100 yards.

My next purchased will be either another Sightmark, Bushnell or Nikon scope for the 15-22.

7. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I can vouch for Sightron Quality!! The rail looks to be a standard Weaver size, not a .22 dovetail. A standard 4x32 will work great, but buy something decent. Even a Bushnell rimfire series is a big step up from the Barska and run under $50.00. Add a good set of rings for another $15.00.
    http://www.opticsplanet.net/bushnell-3-9x32-rimfire.html
    http://www.opticsplanet.net/bushnell-4x32-rimfire.html

Forget NC star rings also, get a good set. Cheep ones are nothing but headaches.
    http://www.opticsplanet.net/leupold-rifleman-rifle-scope-mount-rings.html

8. NeonLeon

NeonLeon New Member

Teach me something .... when a scope is listed as "3-9x32" ... what do the numbers represent? Does 3-9x mean it adjusts from 3 to 9 power??? and is 32 the size of the opening??? and for shooting targets at 50 to 100 yards what would be best??? Told ya I'm a big dummy about these.

9. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

3-9 is the magnafication range, 32mm is the forward lens size. I use a 3-9x32mm and my son uses a 4x32. I can say, I never move mine off of 4. We target shoot, plink, hunt all within 75 yards.
    Here is an article that will explain it better.
    http://www.scopesguide.com/basic-scopes.html

10. NeonLeon

NeonLeon New Member

Great article! Thank you very much.

11. kenhesr

kenhesr New Member

Whichever scope you end up with, ya might think about adding something like this to the equation.

AR-15 Quick Detachable Picatinny Riser Mount New Target Sports

This model is about as cheap as they get, and works fine. Lets you switch between your scope and irons real quick. I run a few and the scopes always return to zero when remounted. Even if you never plan on shooting with the iron sights, you would have that option at a low cost. Unless you go with high rings, you will probably need a riser anyway, with these you can use shorter rings.

[​IMG]

As far as Barska scopes, I run quite a few and have never had any problems. In fact they are one of my favorite low end scope companies. JMHO, Ken

12. fpdsniper

fpdsniper New Member