Barrowed lap top

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by opaww, Jul 19, 2009.

1. opaww

opaww New Member

My main computer went tits up this morning and my granddaughter has my other one so I had to barrow my sons lap top. I hate the KB on it and won't be doing to much typing until I get mine fixed.

2. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

Here's to hoping you get it fixed soon & there's not much wrong with it. HB opaww!

3. m72law

m72law New Member

sounds like a dell?

4. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Damn I hate when that happens, hope ya get it fixed fast Opaww.

5. OC357

OC357 New Member

Recently I got a laptop and it took awhile to get used to it. Now that I am used to it, I use it more than the desktop. Hope you get yours up and running soon.

OC

6. Seal

Seal New Member

Know what's wrong with your computer? I'm sure some of us could help.

7. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Recently my HP desktop went belly up due to a power surge. It cost $55. to diagnose the problem, $39. for a decent grade new power supply and they cleaned up and lubed the cooling fan. Total cost was under $110.

All in all, not that bad. However the internet withdrawal was horrendous. :eek:

8. opaww

opaww New Member

Power supply and possable the main board burnt up, I'll know more when I get a new power supply and if it don't work then the main board burnt up as well.

9. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Good time to upgrade then, especially if the main board took a dump. :)

10. opaww

opaww New Member

Just got this thing a few months ago, it is a low high end gamming computer that I spent almost $1000 putting together

11. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Holy crap, do you use it for gaming at all? I think the same way, when I put together a computer. I use the "just in case" excuse justification for the need for the extra power and resources. But you can never stay ahead of the power curve. Your efforts are outdated in three months. :rolleyes:

12. opaww

opaww New Member

I still play WoW and City of Heroe's, I gave up Everquest a few years ago. I also two box in game so my other computer is almost as good, but as I said my Granddaughters went tits up and she is using my other one until I can get her a new one

13. AsmelEduardo

AsmelEduardo New Member

Hey Opaww, if the KB of your desktop is USB I'm sure that you can connect it to the USB port of the Laptop, same as mouse... and if you need binoculars when use a computer, and the monitor of your desktop is large enough... can use the monitor of your desktop as well.

I worked as computer technician some years ago... so I have some questions...
    1) How she died? suddenly went off? an error prompted on the screen and then turn off herself? freeze then didn't start again? how much time had working the computer before died?...
    2) When you try to turn it on again... does something happen? she try to start and then turn off again? does nothing happen? makes any beeps and don't start? the cooler fan of the power supply does something when you press the power button?
    3) Any funny smell before, during, after? (burn something?)

As my father says... is hard make a diagnosis on the phone (he's doctor so it happen to him very often) ...but maybe some problem could be discarded... I doubt the mother board failure, but is hard to tell without those answers.

14. opaww

opaww New Member

I believe it to be a power supply sense the symptoms indicate such. and I tested the PW in another comp and nothing so I am sure that is the problem. I just don't have the money for a 600-800 watt Power supply right now.

I have my KB, Mouse, and Monitor plugged into the lap top but don't like this system No gamming for me. I been building comps sense the 70's I am just crappy with software