Barrell Jeweling?

Discussion in 'XD Forum' started by Gearguy10, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Gearguy10

Gearguy10 New Member

Has anyone seen an XD with the barrell or block jewelled? Just curious what it looks like. I'm thinking about getting my 1911 done and would maybe send in the barrell for my XD at the same time.

2. a1huntingsupply

a1huntingsupply New Member

Here is a picture of one at Cylinder & Slide, Inc.
    [​IMG]

3. Splatter

Splatter New Member

Hmm, is there any sort of bushing that stabilizes the muzzle? If there is, have a look at any wear patterns it's producing. It's be a shame to spend the time and money to get it done if it's only going to be ruined in short order.

4. Gearguy10

Gearguy10 New Member

I like the look of that pic. I just may look into it. There is some wear on the top. I wonder how well that jewel finish wears?

5. Splatter

Splatter New Member

A jewel finish, is just scratches in the metal. It's produced with either an abrasive impregnated rubber shaft (think of an ink eraser) or a small round brush dipped in an abrasive paste. then either are spun in a drill press and applied to the metal surface.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/catsearch.aspx?c=870&p=4800

6. GunnBugg

GunnBugg New Member

It may wear off, but that's pimpalicious!

7. Dirk

Dirk New Member

I dunno how long that finish will hold up. Some of that may depend on the finish underneath. I've seen a couple of friends guns that had that done and they look OK.

I know my polished barrel has thousands of rounds through it and you have to look pretty closely to see any wear at all.
    It still looks like chrome.
    Our polishing is very smooth and hard though- a home polished/ dremel job barrel won't hide wear as well.

8. paul

paul New Member

jeweled 1911

There is an excellant video of jeweling a firearm at the Midway website. I'm going to give it a go myself on a S&W PD1911, and anything else after that if I'm successful. I like the look myself. If you want, go to you tube website, they have lot of do it yourself video's, :)

9. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Is there any reason to do that, other than cosmetic?

10. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

No. There is a local guy who advertises bejeweling barrels and bolts, he doesn't get much business.

11. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

It requires perfection and it is a patient, demanding process.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7xNhUyufEY]YouTube - How to Jewel a Rifle Bolt for a Custom Look[/ame]

12. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

I mean, the XD is a great pistol, but doing that would be lipstick on a pig.

13. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I agree totally, but different strokes for different strokes.

14. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I spend my political marital capital on guns and ammo, not lipstick. I'm not at the place where my wife says, "Hmmm, I wonder what we could possibly do with this extra money. Honey, what do you want to do?"

I least with actual purchasing of guns and ammo I can say, "But honey, we NEED this." I can't say, "Oh honey, this 1911 NEEDS a shiny barrel hood. It'll be purdy."