Barrell Bushing Comp on a Taurus?

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by WannaGator, May 6, 2011.

1. WannaGator

WannaGator New Member

Hey I enjoyed shooting my Taurus PT-1911 for the 1st time used various 230 grain FMJ.

I would like to carry this gun so would like to use 230 grain JHP like Triton & Golden Saber as well as some 165,185,200 grain JHP +P (255 grain hardcast lead +P as a backup for Hog Hunting).

I saw a Wilson Combat Barrell Bushing Comp at the same gunstore I bought the pistol.

Is this a good item to have?

I heard that I should use lighter recoil springs, is this true?

Would love to see what Ya'll think about this.

Thanks for your time and knowledge.

2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

You doing any night hunting?

The only thing that comp will do is blind you.

Now think about this;

You're uppin' your ammo to +P and reducing your recoil spring weight?

Kinda backwards don't ya think?

Last edited: May 6, 2011

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

wouldnt do it.

bushing compensators dont work very well.

if you want a compensator you need one that is integral to the barrel.

as for +p you dont gain any real advantage for the extra abuse to your gun or the increased recoil and muzzle snap. a compensator isnt going to overcome that increase.

you see compensators on race guns as they are tuned with the weight recoil springs bullet weight and speed and compensators all taken into account ending with a gun tuned to a very very specific loading that only excel at one specific task.

just adding a comp to a taurus or any other gun isnt going to make that much of a difference by itself. while they are cool looking they are only one small part of the equation.

4. WannaGator

WannaGator New Member

Wow my idea sounds like a very bad decision glad I didn't cross that bridge.

Cool doesn't cut it with this gun as I want to be buried with this gun.

Many Thanx to canebrake and JonM.

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Gator, don't know where you are but should you get to Ft Lauderdale anytime let me know.

I'll arrange for you to shoot FENRIR, my Colt Government with a Clark Custom Guns 460 Rowland kit installed.

This is probably the best example of an effective compensator to reduce muzzle flip and recoil. Certainly the best on a handgun.

[​IMG]

6. WannaGator

WannaGator New Member

I hope to be back in FLA next April or May to hunt Boar/Sow/'Gator with my uncle.

If this happens 'Cane I'll drop 'Ya a line.

Thanks for the invite.

7. parinoid54

parinoid54 New Member

Thanks for asking this question. As an old man, I have also had simular dirty, evil thoughts. :eek:

8. DinkyDauDon

DinkyDauDon New Member

They are easy to install, there is a little reduction in flip, but not significant. It doesn't change point of aim, nor grouping, but it sure makes for a bad-a$$ looking HD pistol.

[​IMG]