Barrel with bolt

Discussion in 'State Forums' started by MattJan18, Sep 3, 2018.

1. MattJan18

MattJan18 Member

Just doing some planning. This coming winter, I plan on building my first rifle with my step dad. I know I want a barrel chambered in 5.56 that’s anywhere from 16-18” long. I was wondering what everyone prefers, or if there are any budget barrels that won’t crap out on me early that come with the bolt to get the right headspacing.

Thanks in advance!

2. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Matt
    Honestly shop around! With all the discount sales going on today because manufacturers inventory is killing them. This because when the scare came on they overstocked hoping for the best. But the scare went off when Trump was elected and they ended up with millions of $$$$ stuck in inventory that almost broke several companies. IMO you would be better off Buying A complete upper with Bolt Carrier Group from a reputable company. I do now I have been receiving Emails and at the present Stag has been running some excellent complete upper sales. Which are of excellent quality. That way you would know the Head Space was correct. This also due to you probably not having the tools to barrel a rifle. Like Receiver Clamp to hold the Upper safely while barreling, Torque Wrench, Barrel Nut Toll that will allow a Torque Wrench to be used!.
    The Barrel should be Torqued to a minimum of 35 Ft. Lbs. just for info! Some would say the Mill Spec minimum of 30 FT. Lbs. But I have seen barrels loosen over time at 30. This due to Heat which creates expansion and then Cooling which causes contraction. And repeating over time can cause a loose Barrel. So today we always recommend 35 Ft. Lbs. minimum Torque on the Barrel Nut. By the way I do like the 18" or Mid Length 16".
    Good luck on your projects.:)

schnuffleupagus likes this.

3. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Good advice.

Unless you have a fully equipped gun shop, go with the complete upper.

schnuffleupagus likes this.
  4. MattJan18

MattJan18 Member

My step dad has built at least half a dozen rifles from scratch, so I know he has the equipment. My problem is that I can’t seem to find a complete upper that has all the modifications/accessories that I’m looking for.

5. Greg_r

Greg_r Well-Known Member

I will be contrary here and say build your own rifle. Sure, you have the added expense of having to get tools, (not really, you can build one using standard tools that you probably already have, but dedicated tools are nice) but you will probably not leave your AR the way is is anyway, whether you snap a pre built upper and lower together or build it from individual parts.

If you like the platform you will likely build others, at least the uppers, just to try the various calibers available. 300 Blackout, 277 Wolverine, 25/45 Sharps, 6.5 Grendel, 6.8 SPC, 7mm Raptor, 458 SOCOM, 300 HAM'R. The list goes on. BTW The headspace gauges for 223/5.56 will work on any cartridge based on the 223 case.

Maybe you only want the 223/5.56, but you want your 16" carbine and a 24" varminter, a 11.5" pistol. Another reason to invest in tools.

Another reason to build your own is that you will know your rifle inside and out, what makes it work and what to do if it dosen't. From your opening post it sounds like you want the experience.

Another reason for the tools is cleaning and maintenance. Remember the loose barrel nut Sniper03 mentioned? It happens, vice blocks, touque wrench and barrel nut wrench is the way to fix it. You probably at least want a lower vice block for cleaning. A third hand comes in handy.

If, on the other hand, you are one of the few who just want a MSR and will leave it like it is, by all means, buy the completed upper and lower and snap them together. In today's world that is pretty much considered a build even though all you are doing is snapping together a couple of completed parts together, and enjoy your rifle. I think you will be missing out on the "I built it myself" though.

6. Oldoutlaw

Oldoutlaw Well-Known Member Supporter

May want to look here for uppers. Sale going on and they have a 10% off code for over $100. I have a few of their uppers in 223 Wylde and the fluted barrels.
    Used this code to buy a 20" SS Fluted barrel upper for $270.00.
    dw has an upper from this company also.

https://daytonatactical.com/

7. MattJan18

MattJan18 Member

From what I’m seeing, most of the complete uppers don’t come with a BCG except a few. I’ll keep an eye out for anything that might pop up. This does have a lot of good deals though.

8. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

MATT
    Look for ones that do have the Complete Upper with Bolt Carrier. Or tell them you will buy the Complete Upper and Bolt Carrier Group separate from them if they will Note on your Receipt they have check the Head Space on the Upper for you if you order them both. A good company should do this for you with out any problem. "If not Don't Order from them."

9. MattJan18

MattJan18 Member

The plan is definitely to look for a complete upper. I’m just very picky about what I want. Everything is MLOK it keymod, and I think I’m mostly interested in quadrail because I’m finding more attachments and accessories for that.

10. Oldoutlaw

Oldoutlaw Well-Known Member Supporter

Ah, ya want a Star Wars gun. Best piecemeal one together then.

11. MattJan18

MattJan18 Member

Actually, I’ll probably go keymod. But no, not a “Star Wars” gun, but definitely one that I can customize and put my own touches into. It’ll be the first time I build and put one together.