Barrel twist and rifle suggestions for 3 gun

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by BIGGY40z, Jul 5, 2020.

1. BIGGY40z

BIGGY40z New Member

Relatively new here and short history. I've shot small competitions and have my own pistol and shotgun but have used friends rifles (usually a Ruger from one buddy). My knowledge is limited on rifles and to be honest I'm just learning enough to figure out what to get and then not think about it until something needs to be replaced :)

I've been looking at going with Spikes Tactical for most of the parts except trigger. 1:8 seems to be a relatively versatile twist but most of spikes barrels are 1:7. They do have one barrel (223 Wylde) which is 1:8 but is wrapped in carbon fiber and not sure if that's a good way to go.

https://spikestactical.com/collections/barrels/bsf-223-wylde-barrel-fluted-carbon-fiber-sleeved/

I'm open to other rifle suggestions. General usage will be 50% on small indoor competitive shoots, some outdoor 3 gun and then a bit of plinking at paper. No intention of home defense.

2. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

If you're wanting a lite weight weapon,then a carbon fiber wrapped barrel with save you about a pound.
    What type of bullet weight's will you mainly be shooting?
    You want to match the twist rate that will best match the bullet weight and style that you will be shooting. I use a 1-8 twist on all my 223/5.56 barreled AR's because I shoot bullets from 55 gr up to 77 gr,and it stabilizes them great. A 1-7 will work with 55 gr bullets,but is more ideal to shoot bullets over 75 gr.

I personally wouldn't spend $600 on an AR barrel unless it had Kreiger,Lilja,Bartlein as the barrel maker.

Sniper03 likes this.

3. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

BIGGY
    The 1:8 Wylde Chamber is IMO the best you can get with excellent accuracy. And will shoot 55 gr. bullets very well also. But will shoot heavier bullets very accurately should you decide to go heavier like 72+ grains. Personally, I would not want a carbon fiber barrel. I have had two Rock River Arms 20" Stainless Barrel with the Wylde Chamber that when everything was great, shot 1/4" 3 Shot Groups at 100 yards. Using Federal Gold Medal Factory P223-E Ammunition. Oh by the way, the Rock River Arms 2 Stage National Match Trigger is an excellent Trigger. Several here on the Forum have one in their guns and they are very reasonably priced compared to others.:)

4. Txhillbilly

Sniper,Unless you plan to shoot 5.56 ammo out of one,there's no need in the Wylde chamber. While I like and have a couple barrels with the Wylde chamber,if you just shoot 223 out of your gun it will be more accurate with a 223 chamber in the barrel.

5. Oldoutlaw

Oldoutlaw Well-Known Member Supporter

Can you tell me how many manufactures even make a plain .223 barrel for an AR?

6. Txhillbilly

When it comes to custom barrels,you can get them chambered whatever you want. I don't know anyone that shots precision AR's with a custom barrel that ever gets them chambered in a 223 Wylde. They aren't shooting crap mil-surp ammo out of them.

7. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Most all manufacturer of normal production rifles does not chamber them for 223 Remington.
    Either NATO 5.56 or Wylde Chamber. One reason is one should not shoot NATO 5.56 Ammunition in a "true" 223 Remington Chamber. I can expound on that as I have in the past here if anyone is interested. But for competition the shooter can shoot heavier grain bullets with the Wylde or the 5.56 NATO Chamber.
    But the only AR type rifles I know of in true 223 Remington is made to order by a company who will do custom work.
    But out of all respect Tex. I have to disagree with a 223 Chamber producing better groups than an AR Chambered in Wylde. IMO 1/4 MOA Groups out of a 20 inch Rifle at 100 yards on several occasions with the Wylde chamber is nothing to sneeze at. The Groups were fired using Federal 55 Gr. P223E factory ammunition in both rifles. (Sierra BT HP Bullets)
    Obviously fired from the Bench and with all factors being just right. "Including this old shooter having a good day"!:p
    Both rifles were Rock River Arms 20" Stainless Varmint Rifles with the Wylde Chamber and 2 Stage NM Triggers. My good friend was so impressed with my first one he paid me $2500.00 for it with the scope. MY second rifle with Green Hardware groups equally well.
    Don't plan on parting with it.;)

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    GMG2 likes this.