Barrel reline question

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by twhessler, Jan 25, 2013.

1. twhessler

twhessler New Member

Hi
    I am going to reline a winchester 1890 barrel. I have drilled it out and it is clear that there will be a gap around the liner and the barrel at the muzzle.
    I want to hide that gap as best as possible. I have read somewhere about peening the end of the barrel to close up the hole a little. I have made up some steel plates with the appropriate size hole to practice and see what works.
    The peening I did looked horrible. So that seems to be out. I have taken some one inch sections of liner and silver soldered the end in to the practice holes and they came out ok, but I couldn't prevent the solder from flowing to far away from the hole. Meaning if this was done on a barrel the solder would flow over the edge and onto the side of the barrel, and I don't plan on re bluing so I think that idea is out.
    Can anyone give a suggestion on how to hide this joint ?

I have plenty of time on this and I want it to look good, so I will do as many practice runs as I need. But I could use a new suggestion or idea.
    This is an octagonal barrel and the end is perfectly flat so you really can't hide anything with a crown.
    Thanks for any suggestions, Tom

2. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

I never soldered any liners in. I always used Acraglass. I mix in a little "bone black" to blacken it so it more closely matches the blueing. I've done two or three dozen this way.

3. twhessler

twhessler New Member

Hiwall
    Thanks I plan on using green locktite for glue. I only soldered the very end to fill the gap.
    The end of these barrels were never blued they are bare steel so I want to keep the original look. Which makes it pretty hard to conceal . If I added black it would stick out pretty bad.

Thanks, Tom

4. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Add powdered aluminum. I've done that before.

5. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

stupid question from an idiot ... is there a reason for relining a barrel rather than just replacing it? :confused:

6. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

Some barrels have markings that the owner would like to keep, ive considered relining my Kar98. It has several markings that i would hate to lose.

7. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Ah, so it's got something to do with sentiment, value ... makes sense :)

8. twhessler

twhessler New Member

That is correct it has the original barrel with original markings. There is no sentimental value at all it's just that it is a vintage gun and a replacement barrel would kill its value. I am sure the liner in itself will hurt the value but not to bad.

Powdered aluminum ? Is that something you buy or just sand down some aluminum ?

Thanks, Tom

9. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

good reviews - http://www.starmolecule.com/

10. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

I bought my Powdered aluminum at Brownells.
    Many old guns you can not get barrels for any more. Or a gun showing honest wear would look odd with a shiny new barrel. Relining does lower collector value but not as much as a new-made replacement barrel.

11. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

The fellow who does my lugers "Brooms" etc. freezes the linners to a very low temp. They are then inserted in a very close bore. You can not see a joint.

12. greydog

greydog Member

Bore the muzzle end of the barrel to 7/16 inch to a depth of about one half inch. Make a bushing which is 5/16 ID to fit the liner and 7/16 OD to fit the bored muzzle. When the liner is in place, insert the bushing over the protruding liner. Once your glue sets up, you can crown the barrel and the joint should be virtually invisible. GD

13. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

A couple times I have drilled only from the chamber end and stopped just before the muzzle. Then nothing shows at all on the muzzle.

14. twhessler

twhessler New Member

Hiwall to late for that, besides the drill is only 15 inches and had to drill from both sides.

Greydog I really like that idea, if I had a lathe I would persue that I think that would work.

At this time I guess I'll look into the aluminum powder.

Thanks for the ideas, Tom