Barrel Questions

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by BigBizz87, May 13, 2013.

1. BigBizz87

BigBizz87 New Member

Looking into buying a BCM mid 16 barrel they have a few stripped barrels in stock I'm going to put it on a DPMS mil spec complete upper what may be some concerns in doing so what if anything will I have to change out the rifle was a carbine length

2. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

They should both be mil-spec so no problems that I see. Do you have all the appropriate tools?

3. BigBizz87

BigBizz87 New Member

I have a friend who is a gun Smith who will be doing the work but I was thinking way about the bcg?

4. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

Ah the BCG. I just went through this. BCG's mostly all follow the same specs. My advice would be to read the sticky in the AR forum about selecting an AR-15. Somewhere in there is a section on BCG's.

I will say, the Creakote coating (thats probably not how to spell) is freakin awesome. It is so smooth and cycles great. Costs just a little more.

5. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

The carrier should be fine. But, when I get a new barrel I get a new bolt. You'll need a midlength gas tube. A gas block if it is that stripped. Midlength handguards.

6. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

If "mid" means midlength (gas system), THANKS SSGN. If it meant mid weight, no differences from a standard carbine but you will have to know what gas block barrel diameter to use.

7. BigBizz87

BigBizz87 New Member

Mid length gas system is what im trying to get heard good things about it andjuat wanna convert my current rifle to mid length just need to know what I will have to buy to go with the barrel I know gas tube an block but what about barrel extention, barrel nut, delta ring things of this nature can I reuse the parts from my current setup

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

You will need new handguard system as carbine length is too short. Your current barrel attachment hardware will work fine as long as the new handguards utilize the deltaring system.

9. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

What JonM sid, plus don't worry about the extention, it's part of the barrel.

10. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

So you need a middy gas tube, handguards, and mebbe a barrel wrench and snap ring pliers to remove the old delta ring, and of course a barrel with a middy gas port then u are golden.

11. BigBizz87

BigBizz87 New Member

Cool thank u very much appreciate the info

12. BigBizz87

BigBizz87 New Member

Thanks again for the info appreciate it