Barrel Length's Effect on Spread

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by texaswoodworker, Jun 23, 2012.

1. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

I know the shorter the barrel, the sooner the shot will spread, but exactly how much sooner?
    I have a shotgun with a 18.5" barrel on it. How much difference in spread, and range would there be between it, and a shotgun with a 28" barrel.

Just curious.

Thanks

2. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Try about 30-45 yards depending on loads. Spread is about 10' at 10 yrds w my avenger which has a 18" barrel if that tells you anything. That's #4 high brass Winchester heavy field loads.

3. texaswoodworker

Damn, I didn't think there would be THAT much of a difference. How much of a difference would there with slugs?

4. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Depending on range of shot ALOT of difference. Iv never shot slugs through mine for accuracy.......always figured if I'm gonna shoot someone w a solid slug I got ALOT better things to do it w than a shotgun;)

5. texaswoodworker

lol, I was thinking more along the lines of hunting. I was just curious if it was even possible with my current setup. I guess I'll either buy another barrel for it, or just buy another shotty down the road. That will probably be next year though. I have at least 3 guns I want/need to get first. One of them is that special project we were talking about. ;)

6. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Well if things go as I'm hoping all my builds are gonna be suspended indefinately........unless I get one that REALLY interests me. I'd just get another barrel if it was me.....and a mag plug.

7. texaswoodworker

Why would they be suspended indefinably? :confused:

8. Wiebelhaus

Wiebelhaus New Member

This is at 20 yards with a 12g 28 inch barrel with win whitebox bird shot, holes at the bottom are the tight ass groups.

[​IMG]

9. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Going back on the road......maybe. oh ill still build one occassionally but I need a better income, getting in one of them "ah to hell w it this is getting boring" times, and my feet are itching;) doesn't mean I wont get go back to it though. Its in my blood and all my thoughts revolve around it at some degree. Can't forget it. Can't live wo it.

10. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Barrel length has less to do with shot spread than choke does. If your short barrel has choke tubes then you can easily adjust shot spread by changing choke tubes.

11. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Correct. My avenger has NO chokes in it and WONT have one in it.

12. texaswoodworker

Sweet!

Good luck with getting back out on the road. Whatever you do though, I'd still like to have a gun made by you eventually, and I wouldn't mind waiting. ;)

I can't put a choke on mine, so I'd have to buy another barrel anyways.

13. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

+1

Pattern is 90 percent determined by choke and the type of wad/shot tube used by the ammo manufacturer..

14. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

IMO, a shorter barrel will have some effect on shot pattern, but i am agreeing with HiWall, that different chokes will have a bigger effect on the shot pattern.

tommorow, if i get the chance, i will test this out and see what the results are. i have a Winchester SXP Defender with the 18.5" barrel and a Maverick M88 with a 28" barrel. i will use the same load at the same distance and see if my reasoning is sound. as they say the proof is in the pudding!

15. texaswoodworker

Awesome! Don't forget to take a few pics. :D

16. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

will do! personally i want to see if there is a big difference. just to see if what i think is true holds, up to an actual informal test.

17. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

My Remington 870 with unchoked 18.5" barrel at 25 yards had about a 30" spread with Remington 2.75" 00 buck,and about a 25" spread with Hornady 2.75" 00 buck.What are you going to be hunting?I now have a 20" cyl barrel with rifle sights on my 870 and it handles slugs awesome,took a button buck from 35 yards last year with a Win 2.75" Rackmaster rifled slug,I can do anything a rifle can do with my shotty/rifled slug up to 75 yards.

18. cottontop

cottontop Guest

Barrel length has no effect on shot spread whatsoever. Hardness of the shot, type of wad, power of the shell, and most of all, choke, does have an effect on shot spread.
    cottontop

19. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

barrel length does affect pattern not as much as the load or choke tho but with this bunch of zombie shooters lots of holes or a big hole makes them happy how about breaking a flying rabbet at 60 yards(figure that out)

20. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

With the same choke, it will open up about 9-1/2" sooner.