barrel length significance in .22LR

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by Mack Bolan, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Mack Bolan

Mack Bolan New Member

I was at the range again last night trying out my new 10/22 carbine....man, I love how it spits out those shells with such conviction....

for the first time, I got to try out some nice handguns (.380 walther ppk, S&W .38 spl, S&W .357 w/scope, and .22 target pistol) and since one was a .22 target pistol...this subject came up.

My buddy mentioned that a .22 round basically reaches full velocity at 7 inches. Does that mean that the barrel length in that caliber (.22LR) isn't as significant, if at all, as with the other larger rifle calibers?

naturally this would influence my decision as to what length and type of barrel to eventually upgrade to for better accuracy.

i'll post a RR as soon as i get a chance to scan the papers....

2. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

18" is the point at which velocity is maxed out for a 22lr. Or so I have been told. anything more and your just slowing it down.

3. Highpower

Highpower New Member

I've read several "studies" where they cut down barrels an inch at a time and clocked the muzzle velocities. They all had different results which ranged from 14" - 19 1/2" for the optimum length. A lot of that was due to differences in the ammunition used and the condition of each barrel I'm sure.

But like Tango, 18" is the figure I see quoted most often. It would be fun to do one of those tests myself (I've got a few spare 10/22 barrels) if I could shoot a rifle here at home. Making the 60 mile round trip back and forth to the range between barrel cuts would totally blow..... :(

At any rate, chronograph a .22 pistol and a .22 rifle and you will soon see that it does not slow down after a mere 7 inches of barrel time. ;)

4. Mack Bolan

Mack Bolan New Member

okay...thanks for the 411 cpttango, probably dont really need a 22" barrel then.

Do all maximum velocities occur within the distance of the barrel or <24" or so...or just the less powerful rounds?

5. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

Speed has little to do with precision.

Most folks find that those 22" barrels on older rifles are what help them to be so darn precise :)

I've got a 1913 Marlin 37 slide-action that has a 24" barrel, yet from a Lead Sled, it will fire tighter groups than a NEW Marlin 39 lever-action with an 18" barrel.
    Go Figure.

If I can make a comparison, it's like shooting a 30" bow & a 36" bow, you'll find the taller/heavier bow to be more forgiving of small errors.

6. Mack Bolan

Mack Bolan New Member

ahh.. ok...so weight and length of barrel can have positive effects on other aspects of shooting or maintaining accuracy...got it.

Highpower, its probably a good thing i cant shoot at home either....as i would have a serious attendance problem at work;)

thanks for the input guys.

Mack

7. Highpower

Highpower New Member

LOL!
    In this group, it would be a problem of epic proportions I'm sure. I certainly do envy those that have the real estate to be able to do it though.

8. orangello

orangello New Member

I have a buddy whose back yard crunches underfoot now from the .22 & 9mm cases. I do not envy him having to mow that in a couple of months.

9. ICU

ICU New Member

Nice image to remind me to have a large tarp down when I'm doing so for easy clean-up. (at my cabin) No need to temp the shells into being shrapnel projectiles themselves. Those darn rocks already dont like my shins!

10. The_Kid

The_Kid New Member

I have an H&R Plainsman with a 24" barrel. On a good day I can get 1/2", 100 yard, 3 shot groups.

It is really quiet.

11. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

My Remmy 511X with its 25" barrel is super quiet with subsonics or colibri rounds.

12. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I have a 1952 Marlin bolt gun, 24" barrel. It is a tackdriver. I shot a crow at 120 yards w/ it, open sights.

13. Highpower

Highpower New Member

Tango: Colibri or SUPER Colibri?
    That's a lot of tube for regular colibri! :eek: