Firearms Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I buy a 14.5 barrel and add a muzzle comp. Mine is a battle comp 1.0. Does that keep it all legal without having to get a tax stamp?

·
Registered
111 Posts
You would have to use the battle comp 1.5 and also have it pinned and welded to bring it to a total of 16". A 14.5" inch barrel and 1" muzzle device would require a SBR tax stamp.

·
Supporting Member
12,007 Posts
Gregulan

Frostyone is Correct! The Comp must be brazed and pinned and must be at least be a full 16" in length combined!
Otherwise it is Tax Stamp!

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
yes....be sure you get the 1.5 its long enough to make the overall length 16". I believe the 1.0 is too short.

or get the 14.7" barrel some places offer.

·
Registered
134 Posts
That is the reason I decided to just go with a pistol lover. Simply to avoid the tax stamp issue. I am not fond of having to give up more money when I either don't have it, or I just don't want to give it up.

·
Registered
111 Posts
GREGULON said:
So I'm better off going with the16".
I had that same debate and decided to go with the 16". I would like to do a 14.5" later once I decide what muzzle device I want permanently attached.

·
Banned
1,427 Posts
^Smart move

·
Registered
7,545 Posts
So I'm better off going with the16".
14.5 vs. 16" can start arguments as fast as 9mm vs. 45ACP. For myself I've gone with 16" because the extra 1.5" can save you a lot of grief. It's really up to you. Frostyone's comment makes a lot of sense.

·
Registered
95 Posts
bigrock44 said:
That is the reason I decided to just go with a pistol lover. Simply to avoid the tax stamp issue. I am not fond of having to give up more money when I either don't have it, or I just don't want to give it up.
I am confused as to how you going with a pistol lower helps u avoid the tax stamp. If you put a buttstock you will still need an SBR stamp, irregardless of your barrel length? Or am I missing something??

·
Banned
1,427 Posts
jg3 said:
I am confused as to how you going with a pistol lower helps u avoid the tax stamp. If you put a buttstock you will still need an SBR stamp, irregardless of your barrel length? Or am I missing something??
Yes. He's not putting a stock on it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I guess I got confused because the pistol lower comment was so off topic..the question was about choosing between a 16" and 14.5" barrel. I really don't think building an AR pistol is the answer to the OP

·
Banned
1,427 Posts
I guess I got confused because the pistol lower comment was so off topic..the question was about choosing between a 16" and 14.5" barrel. I really don't think building an AR pistol is the answer to the OP
I confused the OP for the guy who mentioned the pistol lower.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts