Barrel length question

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by GREGULON, Jun 1, 2012.

1. GREGULON

GREGULON New Member

If I buy a 14.5 barrel and add a muzzle comp. Mine is a battle comp 1.0. Does that keep it all legal without having to get a tax stamp?

2. frostyone

frostyone New Member

You would have to use the battle comp 1.5 and also have it pinned and welded to bring it to a total of 16". A 14.5" inch barrel and 1" muzzle device would require a SBR tax stamp.

3. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Gregulan

Frostyone is Correct! The Comp must be brazed and pinned and must be at least be a full 16" in length combined!
    Otherwise it is Tax Stamp!

4. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

yes....be sure you get the 1.5 its long enough to make the overall length 16". I believe the 1.0 is too short.

or get the 14.7" barrel some places offer.

5. bigrock44

bigrock44 New Member

That is the reason I decided to just go with a pistol lover. Simply to avoid the tax stamp issue. I am not fond of having to give up more money when I either don't have it, or I just don't want to give it up.

6. GREGULON

GREGULON New Member

So I'm better off going with the16".

7. frostyone

frostyone New Member

I had that same debate and decided to go with the 16". I would like to do a 14.5" later once I decide what muzzle device I want permanently attached.

8. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

9. Quentin

Quentin New Member

14.5 vs. 16" can start arguments as fast as 9mm vs. 45ACP. For myself I've gone with 16" because the extra 1.5" can save you a lot of grief. It's really up to you. Frostyone's comment makes a lot of sense.

10. jg3

jg3 New Member

I am confused as to how you going with a pistol lower helps u avoid the tax stamp. If you put a buttstock you will still need an SBR stamp, irregardless of your barrel length? Or am I missing something??

11. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

Yes. He's not putting a stock on it.

12. jg3

jg3 New Member

I guess I got confused because the pistol lower comment was so off topic..the question was about choosing between a 16" and 14.5" barrel. I really don't think building an AR pistol is the answer to the OP

13. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

I confused the OP for the guy who mentioned the pistol lower.