Barrel ideas on my new ar

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by SeanTLog, Feb 7, 2010.

1. SeanTLog

SeanTLog New Member

i am building a new ar so far i have decided on a
    vltor upper
    s&w m&p lower
    young bcg
    magpul stock
    yhm handgaurd
    But im lost on a barrel i want a good barrel but i dont really want to spend 400 bucks on one i saw that yhm had some and another company called D.E.Z. but i cant find anything about them so if anyone has any opinion id love to hear it on the barrel or the build

2. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

What kind of barrel are you looking for? What is your ideal application? What round, what bullet weight, what range(s)? How many rounds a year will you shoot? Is this a SHTF weapon, or a Varmint, long range encounter weapon?

All of these will help us help you decide on a barrel.

JD

3. hillmillenia

hillmillenia New Member

If you are looking for a barrel and receiver bolted together 400 bucks is about it. BCM, Danield defense, LMT I guess are the top guys (not to mention Colt) I have seen some pretty good deals on Gunbroker from time to time. For my current build I opted for a Bushmaster Superlight barrel and an A1 type upper receiver with the old style rear sight. Of course this negates the plethora of optics available unless I want to mount on top of the handle. But hell, I've got a couple of M4 types and I wanted an old-style, semi-retro and light weight knock-about. I hear so much negativity about Bushmaster these days and years ago I used to build alot of AR-types when they were Quality parts and never had a problem. Bottom line is...the barrel is the priciest part of your build and you don't want to skimp. Good luck with your project!

Hill

4. SeanTLog

SeanTLog New Member

im lookin to shoot alot around 200 and 300 yards probly not much past that it will be an all around gun though i was lookin at the yhm fluted h-bar but i dont know anything about yhms barrels as far as ammunition and i will shoot whatever the barrel likes

5. hillmillenia

hillmillenia New Member

I'll bet the YHM is a good barrel...check the Daniel Defense M4 barrel at Brownell's or BCM, a very good deal deal on a quality piece.

6. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Well, just about any AR barrel will shoot decently at 200 or 300 yards if the shooter does his/her part.

The question then becomes, are you trying to hit man sized targets at that range? Or are you trying to hit ground hogs at that range?

YHM makes very good stuff and we rarely, if ever, have had a problem with any of their stuff fitting or performing as advertised. Their barrels are good, bordering on very good, but they aren't cut rifled competition uber barrels, so know what you are buying and what you are buying for prior to purchase.

JD

7. hillmillenia

hillmillenia New Member

Yeah or the broad side of a barn...:D

8. SeanTLog

SeanTLog New Member

Thanks for the info i think im gonna give a company called D.E.Z. a chance these are hand lapped barrels for less than 200 bucks if it turns out no good yall can give me an i told ya so but im hopin this think will group like a champ

9. SirGeorgeKillian

SirGeorgeKillian New Member

Can I ask if you have wrote a Statement of Need for this build? I recommend doing such for anyone doing a build or buying a new rifle for that matter especially when the build is of the AR-15 nature. There are many options and a simple SON will help you buy what you need the first time instead of building a custom rifle that you later have to "customize" to suit your need, which during a build could have been done once the first time. Before you start buying up parts, ask yourself a few questions.
    What is the average range this will be shot at?
    What is the furthest?
    What is your acceptable level of accuracy at said distances?
    Will this be a bench gun or will weight be a consideration?

Answering these questions will help prevent you from spending money on stuff you end up not needing after all, and will help your build be something that you will be much happier with. It in its self will help you consider weight, if floating barrels are needed, which optics are required, if there is a need for BUIS, and if any of the components selected are "inappropriate"

10. SeanTLog

SeanTLog New Member

i am gonna be using this ar for everything i want to varmit hunt with it but around here im not gonna get more than a 300 yd shot 400 if i got real real lucky so i will most likley be shooting alot at 200 yds. i also love to do some rapid fire close quarters shooting at the range. so ive been thinking about putting a standard power scope on and then a mini red dot on top of the scope or getting an angled mount to put beside the scope. and larue or troy buis. what ive got going is a DEZ barrel i decided to try something different than everybody so if it turns out i cant tell everyone on here where to get a great barrel at an awsome price. if i doesnt shoot like i want it im prolly gonna go with kreiger. but we will see. i got a 16 in not chrome lined 1:9 med weight h-bar fully fluted. a yhm free float light weight that will cover the gas block vortex flash suppressor. all mounted on a vltor modular upper. a young bcg and vltor charging handle. for the lower i got a either s&w or Charles Daly whichever one matches the the upper. a magpul acs and a rra 2 stage. i am not new to ARs but this is my first build. i appreciate everyone on this forum everyone here has different opinions and you can really weed out and make a good decision on what to get and what not to.i cant wait to here yalls true opinion on the build what you think im wasteing on and what i left out.

11. SirGeorgeKillian

SirGeorgeKillian New Member

Interesting. That sounds similar to the role that my M4gery is filling now. I went with a simple fixed 4x with a quick detach to expose my flip up BUIS for closer work. I personally am not a fan of co-witnessing so went with some magpauls that fold down nice and low if I ever decide to go with a more close quarter friendly red dot.
    One thing I usually recommend (if you don't have one already) is to allot some funds for a .22 conversion kit. You will get much more range time in when you are buying 550 rounds for 20 bucks. Well worth the 200 bucks you spend on the kit IMHO.