Barrel choices (so many) need some help

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by roon, Feb 16, 2010.

1. roon

roon New Member

Ok guys this is my first post so take it easy on me. I did some research but couldnt find the info I was looking for. I have a DPMS A3 AR-15 and I just bought a new dpms A3 flat top upper reciver and I would like to swap my 20" barrel out to a 16" barrel. Im not really looking for a long range weapon cause I have my remington 700 for that. Im wanting a more SHTF close quarters weapon. I have 20 acres and I shoot alot here at home. I was thinking of going with a 16" Heavy barrel (not bull barrel) but not sure what the best twist for me is. I shoot remington 55gr cause its clean, cheap ammo that I can pick up at wally world 100 for 45bucks. Could some one explain to me why I should want a certin twist. Im young and still learing about the barrel twists. Also I know I will need a shorter gas tube to go from a 20" to a 16" barrel but is there anything else besides the punchs and barrel tool that I will need to make the switch. Thanks guys and im open to ideas on diff barrels that might suite me better . Im all ears!

2. roon

roon New Member

Bump back to the top. Anybody?

3. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Jump on over to the Introductions and say hello to everyone, then you may find the knowledge base open up for ya.

4. roon

roon New Member

Will do! :D

5. russ

russ New Member

If you plan to stick with 55 gr fmj then really any of the twist rates will work OK for you. That said, it seems that 1:8 is the most versatile.

6. roon

roon New Member

Thanks! What about a heavy 16" barrel vs a regualr 16" barrel what would the advantages of that be?

7. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Depending on what you want to do with the rifle, basically weight and shooting distance accuracy.

Heavy barrels or Bull barrels take longer to heat-up, thus maintaining good accuracy for more shots. They are also usually more consistent in the way they vibrate as a bullet passes down their length, which also helps for better accuracy. Their weight (within reason) makes it easier to hold the rifle steady. For all of these reasons, heavy barrels are generally more accurate bench/target shooting and SHTF rifles, as well as shooting varmints at a distance.

For CQB it is hard to beat a light bbl. A 16" std for a "close-in" tactical carbine.

A fluted heavy barrel is only a little heavier than a standard weight. The best of both worlds with accuracy.

Jack

8. rvaducks

rvaducks New Member

For a 16” barrel I would go with one from BravocompanyUSA.com or Daniel Defense. Both are tier 1 barrels.

9. yesicarry

yesicarry New Member

I'd say.. Dont mess with it..

Get another one. Hard part is "Splainin to the Mrs."

10. slowryde45

slowryde45 New Member

or...you could buy one of these: DSA M4 upper assy

and another $130-150 for a complete bolt carrier group assy: bravo co. m16 auto BCG assy

so for a little over $400, you'd be ready to go with nothing else to buy, take apart, or assemble. ;)

I'd keep the 20" upper for times when you might want to go for longer shots. You'd only have to pull the two pins and replace the uppers.

just another .02

Slo

11. russ

russ New Member

I like this idea best of all.:D
    Although I like the 16" mid length better personally.
    DSA ZM4 A3 Upper Receiver With 16" Barrel, Mid-Length HG - DSZM4CBUMID-D S Arms

12. GreyEclipse

GreyEclipse New Member

20' to get the best out of the cartridge.

If I were you I would get a 16' light barrel for CQC and the 20' heavy barrel for longer, more accurate and more sustained shooting.

13. slowryde45

slowryde45 New Member

Interesting...the wife ordered one of the nitride M4 uppers for my birthday. She placed the order the last week of January, and was hoping it would arrive the first week of Feb, for my BD.

Well, yesterday I finally called DSA on the order, and was told they were filling orders from the last week in December, so mine would be ... a while :(

But after talking to the lady on the phone, and reminding her that it was for my BD, she offered to upgrade the order to their chrome lined 1:7 twist M4 upper, for $30 more and FREE shipping :eek:

Now, the regular upper I suggested earlier in the thread, was their Nitride coated 1:9 twist M4 upper for $275. That was the one the wife ordered. The chromed lined 1:7 twist normally sells for $325.

So I got that one for $20 less, plus free shipping and it will here next week, instead of 2 months from now :D Yes, virginia, there is a Santa Claus, even in February, and he just wished me a belated Happy Birthday :p