Barrel break-in

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by OldSarge1, Mar 6, 2012.

1. OldSarge1

OldSarge1 New Member

I have recently purchased a new Weatherby Vanguard in .223. A friend asked if I was going to break-in the barrel. Honestly, I didn't give it much thought, although I have read articles on the subject in the past. Anybody, care to comment on the pros and cons and if anyone suggests it, what is the protocol for best results?

2. weatherbymag257

weatherbymag257 New Member

You choose one of the best brands of guns a man could buy, Breaking in the barrel is a very precautionous event. The barrel never having been fired before may or may not easily warp. weatherbys usually have a remarkably sturdy and solidly built barrel. It should be fine to shoot but when breaking in any barrel, take about a five minute break between barrel burns. When you feel the barrel getting hot pause and give it time to cool down. Don't try to rush the process or the accuracy of your rifle could be destroyed permanently until you are forced to purchase a new barrel. I hope this helped. Good luck and happy hunting.

3. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Follow someones instrutions like Krieger barrels for breakin. May make a difference in how it shoots . Does make a difference in how it cleans up.

4. weatherbymag257

weatherbymag257 New Member

I just got a new Henry golden boy I need to break it in too

5. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

I usually shoot 1rd and then clean the barrel for the first 10 shots.But it will depend on just how rough the barrel finish is,if it copper fouls much,it will take longer to break it in.

6. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Yep, good break in style when the copper slows your good to go

7. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Good rifles yes but one of the best? Ahh ok top 5 I would say, the mark5 accumark ohh so perty tho thats one fine rifle.

8. theropinfool

theropinfool New Member

Your over-the-top bravado kills me. You rock! I want to read everything you have to say.

9. TLuker

TLuker New Member

Go to Howa's website and read their recommendation for barrel break in. :)

10. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Haaaaaaaaaaaa

11. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

so Its bad to just shoot your gun and just skip the processof breaking it in lol I'm asking cuz I didnt do this with my 22-250

12. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

I dont buy a new gun an go hammer away, I do a break in but to each his own

13. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

Lol so do I have to worry about it or no and how's your lil girl doing man

14. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

If its shootin good then no if it wont shoot good then worry, my daughter is doin real good today thanks for askin, but just clean that gun good after shootin u will be fine

15. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

Thats awesome man and Ya it shoot nickle size groups at 100 so I think I'm in the clear then

16. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

What a good break in does, when barrels are rifled there are tiny ruff spots left by the process, shootin an cleaning helps smooth out the gunk an by doin so u also can see how many shots it takes to slow the copper build up the more it takes the cleaner the barrel, thus the smoother the rifling becomes

17. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

Alright getcha now

18. ZeusEcho

ZeusEcho Member Lifetime Supporter

When you guys say "clean" the barrel between shots or every few groups during break-in, do you mean with something like a Boresnake Viper or an actual cleaning with solvent etc?

19. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

I've heard of people use cleaning rods with a wire brush and run it thought a few times but I'm not sure heck have never really broke a barrel in I just take them out and shoot a few and say its good but that's me

I RUN LIKE A CHEVY AND IM BUILT FORD TOUGH ;)

20. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

NO, real cleaning and some polishing. Kroil oil and JB's bore paste mixed and alone with bronse and nylon brush's. Find a top quality barrel companies site and read up on there instrutions. It may or may not improve accuracy but it does add in cleaning big time and prolongs shooting between cleaning and makes it much easier.