barrel boreing

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by unknownhero82, Mar 9, 2010.

1. unknownhero82

unknownhero82 New Member

just curious...what is the purpose of boring a barrel??

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Well- it creates a hole to let the bullets and noise out.....:)

But expect that was not your real question. Do you mean counterboring the muzzle? Older rifles that have excessive wear/damage to the rifling at the muzzle are frequently sadly inaccurate- bad cleaning, erosion from corrosive ammo, etc. By boring out the last inch or so, the bad rifling is removed, and SOME of the accuracy may return. The old rifling did not wear evenly- but when cleaned up, the uneveness was disposed of, and remaining rifling evenly contacts the bullet.

OTOH, crystal ball in still in shop for calibration and oil change- if I missed your question, can you expand on it a bit?

3. unknownhero82

unknownhero82 New Member

well i was watchin a movie and in the movie they guy was talkin about 1911's and said he had the barrel bored, custom trigger work, and a compensator put on...i know the last 2 but just couldn't figure out how you;d do the first one...or why

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Hmmm- ya got me there. Have seen SLIDE bored to deal with sloppy barrel fit or misalignment, when adding an oversized match bushing. Usually not for a duty/carry weapon- nor is a compensator. IMHO. Bells and whistles for MAX accuracy may degrade RELIABILTY to some degree.

Then again, it might just be HollyWeird doing their usual great job.

5. unknownhero82

unknownhero82 New Member

well if it helps any it was in the punisher movie with thomas jane and john travolata...the sence right before his family gets killed...and i was just curious if those 2 1911's in the movie were "could be" or like you said just hollyweird

6. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

Well it sounded good and it was a movie:p
    Now, once I finally get my tactical recticle lapped and my add 25 Moa to my rifling, my newest project's gonna be a shooter.:cool:

I do remember hearing that quote in the movie a while back and was like WTF??

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  7. unknownhero82

unknownhero82 New Member

so it's a no go? a dream gun basically? lol

8. shootingmad

shootingmad New Member

Do you mean reboring? Reboring removes bore defects, which improves accuracy, and it also increases the bore diameter which changes the calibre. ie .22 into .223.

9. unknownhero82

unknownhero82 New Member

i'm not 100% sure but i think in the movie he said he had the barrel bored...i'll have to watch the sence again to make sure tho

10. shootingmad

shootingmad New Member

Thinking about that movie, I think he is talking about reboring. Also, a hand finished bore is smoother and more consistent than a factory one, again improving accuracy. So many things affect accuracy.

11. unknownhero82

unknownhero82 New Member

so if i rebored a 1911 45acp...would i still shoot a 45acp?

12. shootingmad

shootingmad New Member

Reboring removes a layer of metal from the inside of the barrel, making the hole larger. Maybe making it a .458 or so. It all depends on what size reamer you use.

13. unknownhero82

unknownhero82 New Member

so where would i find ammo to use? lol i think i might end up not doing the boring and just having a compensator put on lol

14. shootingmad

shootingmad New Member

Just get it rebored to a common round. I did my .270Win to 7mm Rem(.28) because it was getting worn, and the time I spend doing it was cheaper than a new barrel. lol.

15. unknownhero82

unknownhero82 New Member

so if i have a 45 what would be the next common size? that would still fit the mag? lol

16. NGIB

NGIB New Member

This is one of the strangest threads I've seen in a while. It was a movie, and Hollywood is never very accurate with gun facts.

Is there something wrong with your 1911 that needs repair, or are you looking for the latest tacticool upgrade? Seriously, just because you see it or hear it in the movies doesn't mean a thing. Think about that Angelina Jolie flick where they shot around corners...

17. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

What they are telling you is that it is not normally done. If you want a different caliber buy a different barrel. I believe you can get a 50gi barrel and mag then just drop it in with a different recoil spring and it should work.

There is no real reason to rebore a barrel. To make a .451" barrel into a .454 or .458" barrel just doesn't make any sense because your going to have the wrong size bullets in the case for a 45acp. The 45acp is made to work with .451 or .452" bullets. To stuff a bullet that is .003+" off is going to create a case that is bigger in the front than in the back. You can't shove a 400 # fat guy through a hole cut for a 110# blond chick. This would leave you with a very oversized chamber and when that happens things go BOOM.

There are a few calibers that you can convert to from a 45acp. You can go 400 cor-bon, 460 Rowland, 50gi, 45 super which I believe is a 308 win case cut down to the length you need. This gives you the ability to run hotter loads as there is more metal in the webbing of the case.

18. DarinCraft

DarinCraft New Member

Great now I have an image of a doghouse giving birth to Homer Simpson......thanks

19. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Better to have asked the question before doing it, then to ask after it has been done and wonder why the gun is shooting effed up. Only dumb question is the one not asked.

20. unknownhero82

unknownhero82 New Member

where true...and orginally i was just asking because i was curious what it was...and if it actually made a gun shoot better or not